Home General Discussion

CISPA passes U.S. House

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Just bringing this to people's attention:
zdnet.com/cispa-passes-u-s-house-death-of-the-fourth-amendment-7000014205/
while we are all fixated on the Boston thing..

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    Just bringing this to people's attention:
    zdnet.com/cispa-passes-u-s-house-death-of-the-fourth-amendment-7000014205/
    while we are all fixated on the Boston thing..

I know this meme is spreading around but it's really nonsense, it would have passed the House if you were paying attention or juggling plates while standing on one foot. It passed the House last year as well.

here's the Senate vote from last year, make sure you contact your Senators
    LINK

If it makes it through the Senate, Obama said he would veto it last time, hopefully that still holds true.
  • killnpc
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I know this meme is spreading around but it's really nonsense, it would have passed the House if you were paying attention or juggling plates while standing on one foot. It passed the House last year as well.

here's the Senate vote from last year, make sure you contact your Senators
    LINK

If it makes it through the Senate, Obama said he would veto it last time, hopefully that still holds true.

It should never reach his desk.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    ...If it makes it through the Senate, Obama said he would veto it last time, hopefully that still holds true.
    He said that about the NDAA (iirc?) and a couple of other bills so don't hold your breath. The Security infrastructure want this, and have for some time. Additionally whilst one can be dismissive of the "meme" as you put it, events like Boston do provide a background justification to push all the more for bills like CISPA to be signed into law - it's doesn't require a false-flag or conspiracy, just leveraged opportunism.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    oXYnary wrote: »
    It should never reach his desk.

Agreed. I get very nervous any time something gets proposed like this, by people who don't really seem to be aware of what the consequences are/could be. The language is more often than not overly broad and lends itself to abuse by the powers that be. The best thing we can do is write to our legislators.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    kat wrote: »
    He said that about the NDAA (iirc?) and a couple of other bills so don't hold your breath. The Security infrastructure want this, and have for some time. Additionally whilst one can be dismissive of the "meme" as you put it, events like Boston do provide a background justification to push all the more for bills like CISPA to be signed into law - it's doesn't require a false-flag or conspiracy, just leveraged opportunism.

are you saying they knew the bombing was going to happen in advance?

edit: sorry I misread - but I still see people suggesting it was pushed through while we were all distracted, the vote was scheduled to take place this week, it was unfortunate timing.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    ..edit: sorry I misread...
    No worries :)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It'd be great if this kind of stuff was required to be talked about in the most basic terms possible of what this means to the people and what the repercussions could be, broadcasted widely through media outlets before this kind of stuff gets this far. It's kind of unbelievable how something that so closely treads if not overextends our constitution gets this far.

More often than not the way I see these happening is wording stuff in the most vague way possible so they can enforce it in whatever way that suits them, hidden within a bill that's casually named something no one would disapprove of, or within something else completely unrelated. Then it passes without any civillian actually reading or understanding what it means to us all.

blarg
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's only one reason they want this bill, more money for Cyber Security companies and DoJ jobs. It's the same kind of thing they do for DHS and DEA. Without these fabricated threats, they can't justify all this money going to people we don't need. It's a waste of tax dollars.