Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Detective Office

Hello everyone
This scene depicts a office of a detective down on his luck in some city.
Looking for feed back on improving it.
Known issues are the textures to the right book case, hat, and picture frames.

Thanks
Zombiem

Replies

• BendE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is a good start, but it could be something much better!

The first thing that really caught my eye was that mirrored texture on the front of the desk, it sort of looks like someone threw some paint on there as opposed to a natural wood grain pattern. Also,I think some base boards on your walls could really do some good!

If you were going for the whole inner-city/worn down look (which I think this piece could really fit well with)I would add in some weathering on the floors and walls (maybe some peeling wallpaper? things like that)

Additionally, I think some of your materials could use some work. In the first shot, the shine on the floor and the trim around the windows is too artificial, it almost looks like you just have a noisy bump on the window mixed with a really high specular surface.

Finally, details! I think almost everything I see is a good starting point, but if you're going for realism you're going to need more detail. Start taking each prop and refining it until you've got a good level of detail (a lot of this can be done with texture too).

Good starting point! Just taking everything a few steps further is my advice :]

Also, bevels can do wonders in eliminating those artificial hard edges.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 4
    If I may add, it seems to me that some of the papers on the floor look like they are floating. If that's intentional, just ignore me. :D
  • zombieminteractive
    [Update]

Slight Changes. Normal maps for a few items, Map on wall is slightly wavy at edges, lighting played around with a little.
    Ignore the four pages I forgot to exclude from shadows.

XhGuZR8.jpg

Questions:
    -Tips on making the light even better
    -How should I go about putting a slight gloss look on the floor, and would you think it would look better with this?
    -How can I fix the dotty light on the floor from the windows?