Home Technical Talk

Normal maps in Marmoset toolbag problem.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
I'm wondering how people do with normal map issues like this.

The first two shots are in marmoset. You can see that around the cylinder there is some smoothing errors where it connects.

eSGsCIp.png

RDhWCwh.png

But here in Maya it looks completely fine. I'm trying to get my bakes in maya to match up with those in marmoset, but its just not working for me. If I can't get them to match I suppose I can use a real-time shader in maya, but yeah, I just wanted to know how people get around this.

IPtdfxU.png

Replies

• Lanstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should invert (flip, switch) green channel in your normal map bake. You can do this in Photoshop, because I don't know where it is in Maya - I am not using it.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I've had a few issues like this before, but I don't think they're Normal map related. Marmoset has given me weird shading even without a normal map. Maybe EQ will see this and know what the problem is.

Also, you can flip the channel in your Normal map in Marmoset. Go to View and click the invert box for X, Y, or Z, and hit 'Apply' :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A. You don't need to flip your green channel between Maya and Toolbag.
    B. You should split your hard edges at your uv seams and rebake, here's an easy script to do it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/UVShellHardEdge.mel
    C. For best results from Maya do this:
    1. Freeze normals
    2. Triangulate mesh
    3. Export
    Maya and Toolbag sometimes pick different triangulation, so you need to triangulate the mesh , however, the mesh normals change when you triangulate in Maya, so you need to freeze them first.

You won't be able to get perfect results from Maya with Toolbag 1 because the tangent space doesn't match exactly, though Toolbag 2 will have options for a variety of tangent spaces.

If you still have issues, you may need to use more uv splits/hard edges.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks EarthQuake. hardening the edges where the cylinder joins the rest of the model sorted it out. Not really that used to using hard edges for anything. In the past, I've usually just set smooth edges to everything, but I can see how that isn't ideal in some cases.