Home General Discussion

Australian Uni / Game Industry

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi all , Ok so I am planing to do Masters in Animation / Games and not quite sure if it is a good idea or not. Particularly I am looking at Australian Unis and every other uni say they are best.

I have checked world rankings (so called) but it dont cover up the specific subject area or student life in general, if you know what i mean.

What you folks suggest are good Universities in Australia for Masters in Creative Industry ( animation , games etc). Or even doing Masters is in this hard economic times and deadly competition worth it?

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You don't really need a fancy university degree to get into the games industry. In Australia particularly where it's mostly composed of small indi studios, the degree isn't going to be of huge value. It would likely be useful for getting a working visa for other countries, but if you've already got citizenship in the UK, maybe this is a lesser concern for you.

In answer to your question, If you really want to study here, I'm not overly sure about your best option. QANTM college is generally a pretty good bet, but they only do Bachelors degrees.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I was just at Supernova on the weekend and had a chance to talk to some of the uni representatives.

QANTM and JMC are heavily character based while, the best IMO, AIE focused on both.

The best part about AIE is that, the second year they pit you up with the classes from design, programming and art to make a project. Very hands on practical learning.

The second thing they told me that sold me to this uni is that the 3rd year which is optional is something called an incubator program, where they supply you with 24 hours access to an office with; computers, iphones, tablets ect. to help you start your own company, and they tutor you through the whole process.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear they offer a masters just diplomas. where as QANTM does http://melbourne.qantm.com/en-gb/course/2481/

I personally believe that the little peice of paper you get at the end of a course stating your qualification comes second best to what you actually get out of the uni and can show in your portfolio.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hi, have you read the sticky thread on games related degrees? www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108342

Your profile says you're in Scotland, may I ask why Australia? I'm in Queensland and I started University last year in a non-games related course, after turning down one (Qantm college) because of the rather high fees (For memory it was $50,000 for the two-year course) and because I figured I could continue learning on my own (With the help of the internet and all the wonderful people on it of course). This has worked out quite well for me so far, and I can't really recommend game-art courses considering how much they charge.

Also, world rankings of universities are for research, not student academic performance I believe? If you've got anything specific I can try and get some answers for you. Some good forums to look at are whirlpool (General australian forum that has threads for specific uni's in the education section) and Tsumea (Has information on job postings and universities in Australia - there's a good thread on Qatnm somewhere that has a LOT of negative feedback that stirred me away from it.)
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK cheers all for response. Qatnm is out of list as i too read on Whirlpool alot of bad stuff about this uni and they dont offer what I am looking for.

RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) is what got my attention Masters in Creative Media. Any idea on this one?

Yes I agree its what you can show that counts in portfolio after degrees, But for long run Degree helps i think cause you never know when the company will lay you off. (sort of more chance of getting work quickly)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    personally i cant honestly recommend any Australian arts course or uni and especially not a masters degree.

Two reasons, the culture and system means that the teachers cannot be harsh enough meaning you will be able to walk out the other side just as unemployable as when you walked through the door.

Very few good teachers. Games courses traditionally are taught by industry vets, well ideally. The industry crashed and what vets there were, aren't enough to fill out all the teaching positions. Its a fucking joke.

" But for long run Degree helps i think cause you never know when the company will lay you off."

Ever heard of education inflation? so many dumb kids have bachelors now that nobody gives a damn about it. Especially not one in game art. Literally there is only one reason i can justify going to uni for in australia and that is if you need a visa to get into america. and even then thats a massive gamble just to be ripped off.

Go sign up to animation mentor or something if you want an education.

~My experience saying this, going over applications of graduates when i was working at halfbrick studios. Also i went to qantm and am good friends with graduates from pretty much every brisbane game uni courses.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Muzz wrote: »
    personally i cant honestly recommend any Australian arts course or uni and especially not a masters degree.

Two reasons, the culture and system means that the teachers cannot be harsh enough meaning you will be able to walk out the other side just as unemployable as when you walked through the door.

Very few good teachers. Games courses traditionally are taught by industry vets, well ideally. The industry crashed and what vets there were, aren't enough to fill out all the teaching positions. Its a fucking joke.

" But for long run Degree helps i think cause you never know when the company will lay you off."

Ever heard of education inflation? so many dumb kids have bachelors now that nobody gives a damn about it. Especially not one in game art. Literally there is only one reason i can justify going to uni for in australia and that is if you need a visa to get into america. and even then thats a massive gamble just to be ripped off.

Go sign up to animation mentor or something if you want an education.

~My experience saying this, going over applications of graduates when i was working at halfbrick studios. Also i went to qantm and am good friends with graduates from pretty much every brisbane game uni course.

I can't agree with enough with Muzz here. You're better off just taking the time and learning yourself.

I also went to Qantm Brisbane, and though I had a hell of a good time, met some great people, and learnt a fair bit, it just wasn't worth it in the end, I ended up getting more critical feedback from here, and I think I grew a lot more as an artist from that, and the things I learnt from talking to other polycounters than anything.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh ok , well lets just put "game art" aside I agree best site to learn is Polycount. But like I asked in second post, what about programs that cover wide areass such as Animation (both pre rendered and realtime) and creative thinking (not just limited to games) for web, design, print etc etc.

I hope you folks get where I am going with this, I dont want to limit myself just as a 3D modeller for Film and Games but some one who can engage in all aspects Digital art wise (animation, games, 3D /2D, Design, modelling)

Just adding a link to online profile so to give a better idea why I am thinking of Masters :/

http://www.behance.net/FahadKM
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I'm from Australia and got a degree in games over here. I totally agree with Muzz.

Don't waste your time and money.

its true what Muzz said about no one being harsh. You could hand in a turd and teachers would say it was amazing. You don't get the honest, actually useful feeback that you get on this site.

My main teacher, the only one who actually knew his shit, straight up told me that the course was a joke.

I'm not in the industry yet, but my advice would be to find some indie teams on the net to join. Use that for experience and just make Polycount your university.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are your goals? It's easier to help you if you let us know what you want to achieve.

If your only goals are to get a job, then i suggest you work out what it is you really want to do, and then we can help push you in the right direction.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    Or even doing Masters is in this hard economic times and deadly competition worth it?

I'd say yes as long is it's something that makes it worth to go to uni for and that you cannot learn on your own or on Polycount. For animation / games specific courses there are, worldwide, very few good addresses. And even fewer for masters. If you really want to stand out, get a good technical degree or a traditional art degree. Anyone with a strong traditional background in sculpting, drawing, etc. already has an edge over all the game art graduates where only few of them have this.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz , My Goal is to make 3D art ( Blizzard, Blur style) and also engage in Design stuff like Scott Robertson and Daniel Simon (yes I learned drawing methods from Scott). Sort of merge the skills from Design into 3D art and be able to produce actual 3D models (prototypes).

That would be an ultimate dream of mine come true though, cause people say you cant do 2 things in life at same time. Besides whatever job I will get (other than my field) will take up large amount of time from my life and I just dont want to let go my dream.

Clock is ticking...
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope I didnt confuse you Muzz :), the closest example i can give is of TEN24 studios in UK. They scan people and make awesome stuff like for Spartan Ops (HALO) and have the ability to do 3D scale models using 3D printers.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Robertson is a great learning resource!

If you want to get into more of that technical creation, perhaps a better direction is to go down a more practical path, you obviously can model and make good art.

Scott Robertson is a classically trained technical artist, so that is a direction you can look at.

It also seems that you are looking at more high end stuff than anything a game college can offer you.

When i suggested animation mentor i was serious btw, it is far far better education than you will get through traditional methods. I've been considering doing a course or too there as well to try and bridge gaps that i have in my knowledge myself.

http://www.animationmentor.com/
    That would be an ultimate dream of mine come true though, cause people say you cant do 2 things in life at same time

pursuing two differing goals is fine, pursuing two different careers at the same time isn't really. Really the only practical thing to do is aim for the more practical goal, and slowly incorporate the elements you want and try and work towards jobs that will allow you to bring mechanical design more into the job.

We live a long time, we have a ton of time to devote to things soley, and still have time to do the other things.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Are you actually in Scotland or Australia? Only skim read this thread.

If you're in Scotland, go do the games degree/masters in Abertay Dundee. One of the best in the world, and hope to Dare to be Digital.

If you're in Australia, definitely do a degree. Just to be able to get the hell out of there, the industry is almost non-existent down under.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas sorry to get you confused at skim read.. Well I am from Pakistan, Studied in Scotland moved to Saudi Arabia and now looking at world map and Australia showed up as next destination :D. Sort of following what Jobs said "never settle keep looking" :D

and fighting this dogma that South East Asian people are lazy, they are either Docs, Engnrs or run Chip shop.. I am the odd one out simply put from my country of origin and it did affected my chances of securing a job as an Artist. ( i lived in Scotland for 6 years) so I know :D
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Muzz good points, and Thank you all for so quick responses in a day. Helped me alot to focus on my move to Aus so far.

Muzz you are right we have time and all but I wish i was born in West lol in that case cause there are no peer pressures from family about getting married, supporting family etc, if you know what i mean. :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I still think heading back to Scotland might be your best move, you know the lay of the land and that course is excellent. Australia seems a little random.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish i can say that mate heading back to Scotland, but I dont know where you live but in 6 years of time there I realised its just got too over crowded by EU and other countries on planet and job market its not cool at all, Just 7 months ago I ended up helping a Doc pack boxes for TNT / DHL delivery at my work place before moving out of Scotland :/ .
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz you are right we have time and all but I wish i was born in West lol in that case cause there are no peer pressures from family about getting married, supporting family etc, if you know what i mean. :D

Ahaha, yeah i hear that. I have literally no pressure put on me whatsoever. I could be an unmarried childless garbage truck man for my entire life and my family probably wouldn't begrudge that.(not that i want to do that!)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    I wish i can say that mate heading back to Scotland, but I dont know where you live but in 6 years of time there I realised its just got too over crowded by EU and other countries on planet and job market its not cool at all, Just 7 months ago I ended up helping a Doc pack boxes for TNT / DHL delivery at my work place before moving out of Scotland :/ .

Im not saying work there, Im saying get an education there, if you really want a degree. Dundee is not that crowded.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm personally of the opinion that if one could get a degree then they should, of course as an Australian, that is pretty easy to do with much less of a financial burden. For outsiders, it's not that simple.

I do agree that getting qualifications with the word "game" (and many times "art" too) can be a waste of time - at least for the next 5 - 10 years as both teaching in games design and its value in business is just not mature enough. I have a diploma at AIE. Sure I value my experiences with it, but otherwise it provides no benefit: only a folio can get jobs.

**Edit

Currently I'm doing a Graphics Design style Degree, but I get to do minors in stuff like Games Design. So if you're that gung-ho on games you could always do a course in something less-related but has better prospects and then fill it out with subjects you will enjoy more if the institution provides them.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a games degree at Queensland University of Technology, but I agree, the climate is hard and if you're not from here and can have a chance at going to other universities or courses around the world there are better choices. I don't regret doing the degree though, I never cares about 3D or 2D before the degree and its what got me into the whole 3D art in the first place.

Currently I am doing my masters but its an information technology one, since I plan to get into the technical side of 3D, like programming for rendering and animation.