Home Unreal Engine

Vertex Painting

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
This isn't a question on how to set it up, but more so just to get some clarification. In every tutorial I've ever watched on Vertex Painting, the color channel is selected and their value slider is up to 1.0, then they paint out the new texture. However, when I do it, my value slider has to be at 0.0. I've had my materials set up similarly, but it seems like something is backwards? Also, when it comes to using the Vertex Alpha, are there any requirements? I've never been able to get it to for blending.

Edit: One other thing, "invalid node used in vertex/hull/domain shader input" (when a texture sample is used as an Alpha in a lerp connected to World Position Offset) means that the vertex shader doesn't accept vectors? A constant 1 and a constant 3 work, but not a constant 2 of texture sample. I tried masking out different channels of the texture, but no luck. Is there a way I could use a mask from a texture as a mask for World Position Offset? It work's for DX11 tessellation. It's late at night and I get really interested in tech stuff :poly121:

Replies

• mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    leleuxart wrote: »
    This isn't a question on how to set it up, but more so just to get some clarification. In every tutorial I've ever watched on Vertex Painting, the color channel is selected and their value slider is up to 1.0, then they paint out the new texture. However, when I do it, my value slider has to be at 0.0. I've had my materials set up similarly, but it seems like something is backwards? Also, when it comes to using the Vertex Alpha, are there any requirements? I've never been able to get it to for blending.

The base vertex color is white, so it might get somewhat confusing because you need to subtract colors. There is a RGB view checkbox at the bottom of the mesh paint window which will show just the veretex colors - should make it easier to realize what's going on.
    I usually paint a mesh all over black and then start vertex color blending.
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Edit: One other thing, "invalid node used in vertex/hull/domain shader input" (when a texture sample is used as an Alpha in a lerp connected to World Position Offset) means that the vertex shader doesn't accept vectors? A constant 1 and a constant 3 work, but not a constant 2 of texture sample. I tried masking out different channels of the texture, but no luck. Is there a way I could use a mask from a texture as a mask for World Position Offset? It work's for DX11 tessellation. It's late at night and I get really interested in tech stuff :poly121:
    You can't use textures in the vertex shader with DX9.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    mAlkAv!An wrote: »
    The base vertex color is white, so it might get somewhat confusing because you need to subtract colors. There is a RGB view checkbox at the bottom of the mesh paint window which will show just the veretex colors - should make it easier to realize what's going on.
    I usually paint a mesh all over black and then start vertex color blending.

You can't use textures in the vertex shader with DX9.

Hmm, okay. I've never painted the mesh before actually adding the textures, I'll have to try that and see if it fixes the value thing.