Home General Discussion

What contributes to the "style" of games?

ziikutv
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
Hello,

First I would like to say that I have no experience in basically anything Polycount community does, so that might be why I am asking this.

I love the different art styles games have and was wondering what factors play into that (texture, lighting, shaders?). I want to learn the ins and outs of game developing (purely as a hobby) and want to make a side scroller in UDK.

So again, how do I make an appealing style (what contributes to it)?
  1. Style 1
  2. Style 2
  3. Style 3
above are some good examples. There are too many different styles to ask about, but perhaps you can break down above three?

Replies

• ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    I think the most important thing to consider is how the visual style of a game improves the overall player experience. Does it fit the tone of the narrative, does it facilitate player interaction or does it increase the player desire to see more of that world? I think what makes a good visual style is how well it ties into the core concepts of the game you are creating.

Things like texture, lighting and shaders are the tech that facilitate achieving a desired visual target. They are incredibly important to understand and learn but should be viewed as tools to help you meet your visual goals.

On a side note: being consistent in your chosen visual aesthetic is incredibly important to sell a style. Setting up "rules" for your style will go a long, long way during the asset creation process.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    how make art. How babby formed.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Art style is communication.

What do you want people to understand when they see your game: is it scary, is it fun for fun sake? It is dangerous, is it edgy?

That's what it comes down to. Art is there to communicate with the player, and hopefully it is sympatico with your gameplay, sound, and story, so as to strengthen everything to make it more cohesive; a better experience.

Those decisions are hopefully made when a group of people get together, and they all agree, considering what everyone else would like to do, that a certain direction makes sense for it all.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So many styles for games that it's really hard to say which is the fittest one.For me,texture, lighting, shaders are technical factors that have influences on game style,because you should have good skills to receive your ideal styles!
    What's more,personal feelings and emotions I think would also affects,just like hand paintings of Miyazaki Hayao,while you see his animation,you know it's his own special style!
  • ATaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://worldofleveldesign.com/categories/cat_level_design_tutorials_tips.php has some good tutorials and notes on design which can be applicable to "style" in games such as architecture and creating a breathing world such as City 17.

Course a lot of it goes in detail and can look at level design and use of engines which might not be what you're looking for
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I would say cohesion is most important. Both inside just the artstyle, and how the artstyle relates to the gameplay/topic/content/story.

You wouldn't put a photo-realistic barrel in a cartoony world (well, not often... Who framed Roger Rabbit is an exception), and similarly you shouldn't use photorealistic graphics on a game about flinging birds at swine.

Also keep in mind that visuals can have a distinct gameplay effect. Quake Live has no textures worth mentioning because clarity is important. Or darkness and invisibility building tension in horror games. I've also often argued that realistic graphics make the player assume 'realistic' physics, so certain abstractions (invisible walls, health pickups in trashcans, carrying 100 weapons) feel out of place.