Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Western Assassin's Creed Character WIP

HomeGrownHeroz
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys, this is my first post on the forums and first properly attempted character. All feedback welcome, even the harsh and honest lol.

Below is a rough Photoshop sketch I've done of the sort of concept I'm going for as well as a few quick renders from Zbrush.

ARZYREP.jpg

Fw01tJ6.jpg

GUxBqPv.jpg

If anyone wants to see any different angles of the model or other shots then just let me know. Look forward to some feedback :)

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hey man, good to see you posting here.

I had a bit of thought about what you were talking about at the university, and this is supposed to be a dissertation piece right? if i understood what you were getting at, you're talking about how characters are built up in layers?

if this is the case, i would highly recommend using something like Arshelevon's base mesh, it's proportionally very decent and would allow you to focus more on the clothing and less on the structure of the guy.

more basemeshes can be found at the wiki here: http://wiki.polycount.com/BaseMesh

outside of that, my strongest piece of advice is to really study anatomy, don't worry about getting lips or eyes in right now, but focus on form and shape. you can't expect clothing to look or fit properly if the guy underneath them doesn't have the structure of a real guy.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the reply. My actual dissertation is about the workflow of creating characters from base mesh to render. My project plan is too look at the variety of workflows of accomplishing the same tasks and the types of software available to do so. If your interesting in taking a browse through it my current progress can be found here.

I've been working more on the form like you mentioned yesterday. I've not paid much attention to the face since blocking out the base form. Will upload the altered form soon.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    You don't have a firm grasp on anatomy or proportion and I can see you haven't even bothered to use reference. Have you had a proper zbrush class? It looks like you've just sculpted on top of a subdivided mesh. Have you learned how to retop or texture? is this a WIP?

You are on your 3rd year at uni and you are still researching which programs to use to accomplish 3d modeling? The fact is you need to buckle down and get to work, I mean that in the most serious way possible without being an asshole. You are soon to graduate with probably a hefty amount of debt and without the skill set to show for it but a piece of paper. The games/3D art industry is a small highly competitive field where you cant afford to be average or even good enough, you need to excel. You need to do more work aside from at school, you need to stop playing games or whatever you are doing other than perfecting your craft you need to be just as good as the professionals working on the games that you love.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116142

Read this thread, it is glum but it is the truth. Only you can help yourself.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are correct that my knowledge of anatomy is limited at this time. My course has been quite diverse and Zbrush has been gradually introduced. I created the base mesh from scratch using dynamesh and did use reference from 3d.sk. I probably should have uploaded the images of the base mesh I made before creating the clothes over the top and posting my current stage of progression. The purpose of my report for University is to look at the workflow of creating game characters and simply cover the bases of how a character could be created using a variety of software packages and methods and evaluating the benefits of some against others. I'm aware that the industry is highly competitive and have been making more of an active effort to improve my ability.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to the thread and posting up the link.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the Assassin. Been focussing more on the clothing and that. Hands need some work in particular.

wpUipAM.jpg
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My WIP of the base polypaint.

V3pioSp.jpg