Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The improvement thread

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
I'd love to get advice, I'm really planning to push my skills as hard as possible these coming months. I just painted this stone wall texture for use in a well, it seems to tile relatively well but it seems incredibly flat and dull, not entirely sure what else I can add to it. Any and all constructive criticism is totally welcome, I wanna improve as much as possible. I painted it in 1024x1024 so I feel there's alot of potential to add in some great details if I can figure out how:
well_tile_wip_zps24d4f556.png

I also noticed there are some tiling artifacts/seams, I'll get rid of those in the next improved version after some good advice. :D

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Google hand painted wall texture and look at what others did. I'm sure there are a bunch here on polycount you could find too. Right off the bat it looks a little blurry and flat. Harden that brush up and really push those highlights and shadows. Plus in a stone wall like this I would imagine all the stones wouldn't be the exact same so try to put some color variation in them. This reminds me I need to work on my hand painted thread. Keep it up though I would like to see how it improves.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    If you want to dive into hand painted stuff, here's two workshops that were recorded from my school. I've taken two classes with this guy, awesome instructor. I think he's one of the very few environment artists to ever leave Blizzard and teach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFKEvH6ZJA

If you watch those two workshops and absorb all the information, you'll be on your way quite nicely.

I agree with sipher, what you have here is a great start, just push the highlights and shadows further, some moderate jagged texture, slightly discolor some stones, darken some as if they were pushed further in (works best with smaller ones). Don't be afraid of harder brushes with stone.

The links above cover stone :)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Snafubar7 wrote: »
    If you want to dive into hand painted stuff, here's two workshops that were recorded from my school. I've taken two classes with this guy, awesome instructor. I think he's one of the very few environment artists to ever leave Blizzard and teach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFKEvH6ZJA

If you watch those two workshops and absorb all the information, you'll be on your way quite nicely.

I agree with sipher, what you have here is a great start, just push the highlights and shadows further, some moderate jagged texture, slightly discolor some stones, darken some as if they were pushed further in (works best with smaller ones). Don't be afraid of harder brushes with stone.

The links above cover stone :)

wow thanks for the links man
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks for the links man
    No problem! What he teaches in those two is 70% of what we learned in his Texture and Lighting course. I still can't believe it's just up on youtube :P very helpful stuff for anyone wanting to start.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the links! I was able to learn some really cool stuff from those videos but for some reason in the long run his methods bothered me. I think he relied alot more on cloud patterns and procedurally generated noise whereas I really want to learn to discipline my style using very minimalistic and simple painting techniques. I also want to rely heavily on color balance, which is something I still haven't grasped fully.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far, I'm pretty happy with it, but I'll take any suggestions:

stonetile_zpsd6905806.png
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, you're getting there. Don't be afraid to get bold and punchy :) Here's a quick paintover I did. I took the lighting information you had there already and exaggerated a bit over it with a round brush, altering around 20%-70% hardness. 7Gu3hIn.png
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, that's beautiful, thanks alot for your time helping me out!
    I'll be back with some improvements. XD
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's what I got for now:
    stonetile2_zps15f352c6.png

I learned SO MUCH from that paintover. :)
    I still feel like I have just scratched the tip of the iceberg on improving this. I definitely need to get over my fear of making things stand out too much, because at the expense of slightly more noticeable tiling, I've already been able to define a much stronger style. It just occurred to me that there are a handful of stones that still look really flat and blurry but I'll probably get back to this tomorrow morning, for now I need to try this cool thing I heard of, I think it's called sleep or something. :D!!
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, very big improvement! No problem, glad I could help. As you keep painting, you'll start to break out of your shell and make those big shadows/highlights and create more depth.

Always keep in mind where your light is coming from. I always paint my highlights/shadows as if the light was coming from the upper left.

I only figured this out a couple weeks ago, but to overcome the noticeable tiling thing, make the some of those stand-out details cross over the invisible seams. Say for instance you notice the green stones make a grid-like effect when tiling, place them more randomly and make some cross over the edge seams.

Yes sleep! And food. Give your mind the ammo to make good art. Keep it up!
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I think it's time for me to move onto a new texture. XD
    Unless of coarse anyone notices more potential improvements to be made.

stone_well5_zps91199614.png
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • blue_skies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blue_skies polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, nice improvement. The swirly scratches and cracks you added look really cool, and while they're not necessarily realistic, I think they work in this case. I'm gonna echo what everyone else has been saying though - harder edges! Don't be afraid to really carve out those shapes. If you need to to feel comfortable, just open up a new copy of the file and go totally overboard with it first, and then try to tone it down and do it for reals. Also, more contrast. :)

You're doing great!
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I've finally reached a point with this texture where I'm really proud with how it's turned out, but I'm ready to move on and try my new and improved skills on a new texture. There is a little hint blue, yellow, and even purple, but in small amounts to maintain an overall color theme, mainly orange and turquoise. XD Stack of potatoes, that's hilarious, I can totally see it. I need to keep the texture smooth though because the stones are lining the walls of a well, so they're very eroded by water. I also kept the grouts kinda wide to emphasis mud build-up, hopefully that's how it reads lol. I might revisit this texture later with a thick layer of moss, but I'm not entirely sure yet. Anyway, this is what I've got. I might decrease the contrast unless you guys think I should keep it colorful.

stone_well_shiny_zpse3b3d1b3.png
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Nice style! It's really unique. I love all these different stonetypes!
    But I think the texture is too blurry and there are to many pixel artifacts.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I preferred the more desaturated version.

I think the soft subdued texture you've made may work in some games depending on the art direction, but I agree with the others, it would benefit from some harder edges.

Anyway, looking very nice!
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'm having trouble figuring out how to make the edges harder while maintaining really round stones. I'm also unable to find any pixel artifacts. XD
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far, but I think you really need to sharpen the rock-edges; avoid using a soft brush and try something like the chalk brush.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stone_well_zps3a9d25ce.png

I tried to make some harder edges and darker cracks, and I desaturated it just a little, but pushed some of the highlights. I'll probably revisit this texture after I make a few more once my skills have gotten considerably better.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got a monoprice tablet, painting feels so much more natural now! XD
    Here's a texture I just started, it's going to be used on relatively old and worn wooden beams. The texture tiles in all directions and will be wrapped around a blocky beam of wood, which explains the four large creases. I know it looks horrible now but I wanted to upload a reference so I can make some progress and look back on how it changed. Anyway, I'll be back after carving this thing out and adding some color variation.

woody1_zpse31b01e4.png
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    I think you're starting off on the wrong foot with the wood texture, get the big dark color variations set first, then build up progressively with lights last.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    There is a ton of stuff on the internet as far as tutorials go for hand painted textures. Not sure if you are using a picture/photo reference to paint on top of (what I am getting from this) and simply blurring portions and then doing painting over the top of it, but I think you need to go back to square one. You have very blurry shapes, undefined details, and a lot of noise in your textures. Handpainted textures are known to read really well from any distance (except for super up close, as most are down rezed for the games they are normally used in), and right now I know what your rocks are, but the wood turns into a brown blur.

Here is a .gif from another thread from a colleague of mine, Royalshark, that she did to present her processes.

newlifewood.gif

Parrot on the Polycount forums also has some great hand painted process tutorials up on youtube. I believe his full name is Jeff Parrot. Hes got some great examples on his portfolio, and he is a really nice guy if you want to ask him any questions (PMed him in the past).

Dont rush through the process to get to the finish line. Get your bases down and then start layering on top, and keep layering and adjusting until you have your desired results. Keep it up though man, the fact that you are looking for feedback in the first place is a great first step to becoming an even better artist.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice!
    I didn't paint over a photo, I'm trying to learn to do this all from scratch so I just sketched in some quick details to get an idea of the direction I'm wanting to head in.
    Thanks for recommending Jeff Parrot, he has some great reference material.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright!
    woody2_zpsfafa2cc2.png

I started over from scratch this time, and I think the colors balance well in this one. I tried to push the brush strokes, the darks and the lights, the bevels, without using low opacity soft brushes. Instead I just sampled and used hard brushes.

Here's what I got so far, keep in mind this is really heavy wip:

op4_cuccoo0055_zps5f8477b8.jpg

op4_cuccoo0056_zpsf6873f7e.jpg

well_zpsd9f9cb42.png

I'd love some feedback, especially on the concrete.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to keep these textures smooth, this well is well is several years old and it's in the center of the village, so I imagine people would be rubbing their greasy hands all over it, eventually smoothing it. I think the same would go for the concrete, but right now it reads more like butter. XD
    I need to find a way to make the concrete rougher, while still maintaining a smooth appearance. Any advice on solving this paradox? XD

Also don't worry, I'll eventually fill in all of that empty texture space with various plants and junk.
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    My only critique is that the grass is so tiny and ambiguous, that it just looks like artifacts. Make it larger and more pronounced to look purposely placed. Also it appears to be easier to view from the top? Make sure it looks great from different angles.

The wood texture definitely looks better, though it still is too soft for my tastes. Bring up the contrast a bit on the texture and define the planks a bit more. All in all you are making great progress!
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Your wood is looking pretty nice and is able to move across the surfaces nicely.

I agree that your grass is too small and is kind of looking jpeg artifacty. One of the things you might consider doing is making a big kit of all different types of carvings and details added to your wood so it's not just "slab of wood....slab of wood."

As for your rock texture, I think you might want to watch out for the "braining" of some of your rocks, as in, they kind of look like brains :P. It might just be the swirliness mixed with the colour, but watch out for that, as it's sort of oddly organic inside of the rock. I'd add some really sharp cracks to really sell that.

Do you plan on making spec and normals for these guys? if not I'd add a lot more lighting definition into your materials to make them look more 3D.

Overall, looking really good!
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wood looks really nice in those screenshots, you're getting a whole ton better at this stuff. I agree, scale the grass up to be a bit bigger.

You can still push the detail and sharp darks in the wood texture, similar to the level of detail in that knot near the upper right corner.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to up the contrast and add more detail in the wood:
    woody2_zps4461f5fb.png

I'm having a ton of trouble with this next texture. I just started it but I can't figure out where to go with it:
    cliff01_zpsd6464fbe.png

I know I should totally redo it, but where should I start? The textures I've done before were very round and organic, but I'm wanting this cliff texture to be incredibly blocky and geometric, so I'm sure I'm starting off on the wrong foot. I want the final texture to resemble something like this:
    RockBlocky0063_preview.jpgRockBlocky0063_L_zps9403a6f4.jpg

Any advice?