Home Technical Talk

[ZBrush] Mesh rotation resets when I move it

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
I'm trying to work in 2.5D and create a tiling texture. When I draw out my mesh, I have to rotate it and scale it to match the rest of the meshes, but when I move it into place, the rotation resets to what it originally was when I placed it. It's making this process pretty much impossible now. It was working earlier, then I came back to Zbrush(just left it open in the background) and it stopped. I've tried using an OBJ and ZTL, restarted ZBrush a few times, and converted it to a Polymesh, all with no luck.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Are you snapshotting it to the document to lock them as pixols, or... ?

Does your view reset when you try to move any mesh in any project?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Are you snapshotting it to the document to lock them as pixols, or... ?

Does your view reset when you try to move any mesh in any project?

I've been using ZBrush for a little over a year now and haven't seen anything about snapshotting, so I'm gonna go ahead and say no :)

I just opened up ZBrush again and tried the same thing with the default star mesh. Same problem.

What I'm doing is:

1) Loading ZTL or importing my OBJ.
    2) With Draw selected, I'm adding my mesh into the scene(either empty or with a flat plane for the background)
    3) Rotating and resizing
    4) Then moving the mesh around to fit into place, but this is where it messes up. The second I click the mesh with Move selected, it resets
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone? I've tried two different versions of ZBrush, re-importing a newly exported mesh, and a few other things. It works when I'm in Edit mode, but the Transpose tools are horrible(imo). It's much easier in 2.5D mode.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind. I managed to find one thread from 2010 that mentions the same problem. Only work around is selecting the actual move widget itself to move, instead of the empty space. :shifty:
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I've tried two different versions of ZBrush
    What version are you using, exactly? One of the older versions had an issue like this which had faulty sensitivity with auto center. You can see if turning it off in the preference helps, adjusting your preferences: interface: click time, or sticking with R5
    It works when I'm in Edit mode, but the Transpose tools are horrible(imo).
    They are really, really worth learning, especially the newer iterations. They become easy to use and have quite a few powerful features tied to them. You can also make use of the deformation subpalette to move and rotate your model that way.
    I've been using ZBrush for a little over a year now and haven't seen anything about snapshotting, so I'm gonna go ahead and say no
    Any time you have a mesh in edit mode, hitting ctrl+s stamps it to the document
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    What version are you using, exactly? One of the older versions had an issue like this which had faulty sensitivity with auto center. You can see if turning it off in the preference helps, adjusting your preferences: interface: click time, or sticking with R5

They are really, really worth learning, especially the newer iterations. They become easy to use and have quite a few powerful features tied to them. You can also make use of the deformation subpalette to move and rotate your model that way.

Any time you have a mesh in edit mode, hitting ctrl+s stamps it to the document

I'm using 4R5 and 4R4. The forum post I found was from 2010, so I'm guessing it's one of this bugs that happens sometimes that can't really be reproduced to figure out a fix. I'll check out that option though.

Yeah, I've tried a few times, but I don't work in ZBrush that often, so the big gaps in between using it made it a little harder to catch on. Once I graduate, I'm gonna try to do a mesh from start to finish in ZBrush.

Awesome! Never knew about that. I'll try that out too. Thanks!
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Anyone? I've tried two different versions of ZBrush, re-importing a newly exported mesh, and a few other things. It works when I'm in Edit mode, but the Transpose tools are horrible(imo). It's much easier in 2.5D mode.

No workaround needed. Just move your subtool using the silver ring whilst in 2.5D move mode to retain your object's orientation.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon wrote: »
    No workaround needed. Just move your subtool using the silver ring whilst in 2.5D move mode to retain your object's orientation.

Yeah, this is what I've been doing too. You can even press T again and get back into Edit mode to rotate it/move it more if need be.