Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bird/Human, help w/ feathers and metal texture ZBrush

Hey all, this is my first thread. I'm hoping I can get some help with this project, mostly with how to do textures or the best way to proceed with feathers. I'm trying to make an owl/human hybrid Native American for a class. It's going to be modeled in ZBrush. I've got a base human modeled in Maya, and at this point it's mostly going to be adding textures and feathers.
owl7.jpg
owl5.jpg
Brown-Falcon-upl20120114.jpg50.jpg

I'd like to copy the feathers of the wings of the falcon as much as possible. I love the dark/light rimmed contrast. The problem is I don't know how to do it in ZBrush. Should I make one single feather object and texture it like I want, then physically just lay a million of them down and then merge them together? I would use this kind of feather for the character's head, arms, and wings. I also would like to get a mix of colors, as well as having a transition from dark to light in some areas, like the falcon.

For the legs, I'm hoping to get the tufted/down look of the chest area of the falcon to cover up the joint of the leg, don't know how to sculpt the geometry to make it hair-like as it transitions to the scaly leg.

For the face, I want to get a metallic gold- and silver-flaked texture just like the monk statue, but preserve the expression.

Hope I'm doing this right :) If anyone has questions about specifics or any suggestions at all I would love to hear them, spare no criticism because I want to be make this as cool as I can and also be realistic about it.

Replies

• _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fastest way to cover a character would be to create an alpha and use that, or sculpt a pattern of feathers and just place the larger ones manually.
    That's what I'd do anyway...maybe there are other ways to Zbrush feathers faster but I don't know any.
    Here are two examples of Zbrushed feathers:

523_tid_Bop_final_bird.jpg

velociraptorSculpt1.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to take a look at Pueblo eagle dancers; they're probably the closest (that I know of, at least) to what you are trying to do.
    3a.jpg

Some Navajo skin-walkers (a combination witch/shape-shifter) are said to take on the forms of owls, but they are seen as the epitome of evil.
  • antihero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update of what I got. I'm going to cover the legs in another subtool that will have a soft down kind of texture, so it will conceal the structure of the upper legs but I thought it was important to actually have the structure for posing and just having a complete concept.

I thought the feet in the first pictures were too big and spindly, kind of like a frog. But in the last picture, I decreased the leg length and the size of the feet and I'm not sure it's a great change either.

The feathers on the head are pretty near done I think. They're a little different from how I wanted them, in terms of having them be more ruffled and chaotic looking, but I might change it but it's pretty time consuming placing them all individually. I'm going to do something similar on the forearms, and I will probably scrap the current wings in favor of something more falcon-like and sharp.

I'd be glad for suggestions and criticisms!
    Screen+Shot+2013-04-11+at+11.17.27+PM.png
    Screen+Shot+2013-04-11+at+11.17.31+PM.png

blogpic1.jpg
    blogpic2.jpg