Home Technical Talk

3ds max 8 freezes after I installed new radeion driver

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
jea topic says it. I updated my display driver to the actual version and now 3ds max 8 freezes after start (everything looks normals except the viewports don't display a grid and I can not click on anything)

I've already switched to software rendering and opengl per startup-menu. same problem. But as I'm quite sure that I didn't changed anything except the display driver I'm sure they are the problem.

I had bugs in unity as the editor gui was showing flickering and strange stretching.. this is gone after the update (and that's good) but now max freezes..

any ideas?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max 8 huh... wow that's pretty old. Can you grab a newer version of max and give it a spin (trial from their site?). Back when I was using ATI they would often remove some older fixes for specific software in their newer drivers, I guess in an effort to make them less bloated? But it meant that I had to install various drivers for different programs.

I haven't used Radeon in years and I thought they would have moved past that by now, but you might be stuck having to try a different driver.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I work with newer versions as well but some plugins and exporter for older games are not available for newer max versions..
    That's why I have to get this running.. maybe I find a inbetween display driver where unity is fixed and max8 is not "fixed"
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ok removed version 13.1 and installed 12.4 (just randomly picked one a few month ago) and what can I say.. unity fixed and max works. Nice!

Maybe that's not the newest driver that works but I'm happy for the moment.

If someone else has the same problem in the future here are the specs

win 7 64bit
    Radeon HD 6900 Series

problem in unity was a morphing, stretching and flickering of the unity editor gui (not something ingame)

problem in max was a total freeze after startup, viewports empty (no grid)

Here you can grab older driver versions directly from AMD (what's always nicer than some third party driver page)

List of old 64bit Radeon Driver

cheers