Home General Discussion

Do you rage quit?

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
Interesting article on Kotaku (and that can't be said too often);

http://kotaku.com/winners-always-quit-and-quitters-always-win-if-its-in-464785415

Do you rage quit? Online or offline?

I will sometimes quit a match of BF3 if there is a multitude of campers dominating or people manipulating choke points (and prohibiting weapons that could even the playing field on the server) but I don't do it often, and certainly not because I'm losing or am on the losing side. I definitely wouldn't rage quit if it were to affect others, like in a game of Left 4 Dead. One on one... my opponent would want to be deliberately trolling for me to quit. The 3 million hadoken spamming Ken/Ryu's you see on SF4 are what spring to mind.

I had a friend once who would reset the Playstation whenever he was about to lose at Quake II or WWF Smackdown XD Which I prefer over getting an N64 controller in the head for winning a round of Killer Instinct, I can tell you that :) Some people are very competitive.

So, do you rage quit?

Replies

• 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I quit when I don't enjoy playing the game any longer for whatever reason. Whether that makes me a rage-quitter or not I don't know.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I wouldn't call it rage quit but Rayman Origins had me pretty worked up at times. Also time trials in Mirror's edge.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Only got one thing to say in regards to this.

Super Meat Boy.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Ashamed to admit this, but 2 Xbox Controllers and a Headset later yes, i rage quit FIFA 13 a whole lot.
    Something about that game that makes it impossible to withhold the anger and quit.

Slowly learning to control it and just put the controller down gently, mainly for the fact its my last working controller now haha.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about when it comes to multiplayer? If a game is just annoying or boring me I'll stop, sure, but what about when it comes to multiplayer and the multitude of genres, like FPS, beat-em-ups, MOBA's, MMO's (and L4D, similar player dynamic) and sports games?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Rage doesn't make me quit, it usually makes me keep going until I win.
    If I do eventually give up, it's because of exhaustion.

Multiplayer multiplies my eagernes to win because I know that someone on the other side will feel my eventual victory! Even if they've already beat me a bazillion times. They'll know that they got taken out by the noob/non cheater, and that makes it all worth it :p
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    In multiplayer I often quit if the team I'm in don't know how to play, such as instead of taking objectives, they just run around shooting, trying to get the most frags. Lag can make me ragequit as well, getting killed by that is something I just can't take.

As well if you kept getting killed for something stupid, such as people camping the spawn point, then I'm not wasting my time.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    i only play multiplayer games and i never ragequit ,i love to use underpowered weapons in FPS's i feel better when i get kills.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I don't rage, I just quit. :o
    I meh-quit.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I rage quit at Chivalry yesterday because I joined a duel server to see the updates to combat after not playing for a month or so. I used to come in 1st place in everything, but I did terrible in the duel server. I went like 1 win 7 lose

It bugged me so much I started blasting music and played again because I knew id be frustrated all day. Went 8 win 2 lose and came in overall 3rd place and felt good, but ever since they made feinting easier to do the game has felt clunkier

I still usually come in first place on non-duel matches, but thats because my battle awareness is good
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rage quit when it becomes obvious that the game designer stopped giving a shit about balancing the game and my having fun. I'll spend my limited free time somewhere else, thanks.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Torch wrote: »
    Only got one thing to say in regards to this.

Super Meat Boy.

Thats not rage, that's the hollow feeling you get from complete and utter self loathing.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Rarely, but reliably in cirtain conditions. In DOTA you get some real assholes. I got off to a bad start in a game the other night, and it unleashed the ire of some asshole on the team who proceeded to tell me how much of a noob I was, how I shouldn't play, how much the team sucked...

DOTA 2 has some penalties for leaving a game game early, but there is a tipping point where it is not worth it to spend 40 minutes loosing a game and being harassed constantly while it's happening. So I report the guy for text abuse and quit. Did some work and had a much nicer game when some of my friends where online.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    fearian wrote: »
    Rarely, but reliably in cirtain conditions. In DOTA you get some real assholes. I got off to a bad start in a game the other night, and it unleashed the ire of some asshole on the team who proceeded to tell me how much of a noob I was, how I shouldn't play, how much the team sucked...

I've found this seems to happen a lot in strategy games - when playing Starcraft even if you won, they'd still say "GG n00b" :poly141:
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Yes,but only on games that don't need teamwork to win.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I quit when people are getting too worked up, don't want to let other peoples' lack of emotional balance affect me. Maybe that's why I tend to steer away from very competitive games...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    I meh-quit.

HAHA! This should be a thing.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I rarely rage quit. I'd say the only time I do is when I'm playing a CPU in Madden 12 and it intercepts me like...4 times in a game? Or other cheap stuff. Thing is...I'm usually drunk when that happens.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    In high school I busted up a few controllers, and a phone, and a few headsets. Last time I did anything like that was once in college during a particularly terrible game of Halo 3. It's been a long time since I've "rage" quit, I usually just have other stuff come up and have to leave the game quickly, that and if I have to deal with lag I lose my mind.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    I rage quit on things like typeracer. Well, more like throwing-in the towel quit. It's not because I lose, but because my fingers and brain get so out of sync I get stuck on a word for more than a reasonable period of time, and just say screw it and move on.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    fearian wrote: »

DOTA 2 has some penalties for leaving a game game early, but there is a tipping point where it is not worth it to spend 40 minutes loosing a game and being harassed constantly while it's happening. So I report the guy for text abuse and quit. Did some work and had a much nicer game when some of my friends where online.

This. I go from one game where we waited for a guy for 10 mins to get back in and everyone was super nice to my next game where guy loses mid and starts shouting at us in Spanish. Think thats the only game I actually rage in haha
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, I've rage quit so many times in BF3. Cheating Russians is not as fun as one might think...
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Ive never rage quit because everything always worked out in my favor. Win or lose i still got that awesome tingly feel to continue playing and the need to say good game afterwards.

BUUT there was this one and only time a few months ago... First time I ever Rage quit I was doing a speed run of dark souls with my bud. We were putting up with the dumb ass multiplayer system and all while doing so we kept getting invaded by jackasses. Id lay my Summon sign down and It would instantly disappear because I was being invaded by 2 or even a rare 3 people AT ONCE

Its amazing how I couldn't summon a single phantom for help in the forest (Summonings failed) yet I can be Invaded by a count of 34 different people and killed every time while Trying to fight back. I had to start pulling the plug because I was on my last humanity .. Its almost as bad as Demons souls and its Ephemeral Eyes crap. If I ran out early on, then I couldn't play with my friend until I finished a boss alone AND EVEN WHEN i came back to life I was usually killed by an Invader while trying to summon my friend.

After 2 days of accepting the 15ft lag back-stabs, the Black magic and the rapid Invasions/Summon Fails I was done with this shit I grabbed my PS3 and launched it at the wall. The game isn't hard unlike Demons Souls with its World Tendency feature... Theres just piles of senseless bullshit to enrage you when all you're looking to do is have some good gaming time with your bro.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I don't rage quit. I may quit, but not rage. I do want to shoot myself (figuratively) when I'm totally sucking at New Super Mario Bro's U... then I went back and ground a good pile of 1ups... then I didn't get quite so frustrated (less continues, resulting in getting shunted back to the last castle).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    wha ... games? weak. i was expecting this to be about rage quitting a job!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Does smashing up Nintendo Game and Watches with a hammer when I was a kid count?:/

I don't play games enough to get angered by them these days. I seem to remember Mario Kart DS gave me cause for a lot of expletives and such. I eventually dropped my cartridge down the drain outside my house, but more because I was angry at myself for playing the game so much. Don't go out and get drunk and then come home and play Mario Kart until 4 in the morning kids!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver reveals his dark side :D Do you know how much those G&W units would be worth today Nick? Might send you into another hammer-wielding rage if you did! :D

I don't think I've ever broken a peripheral or copy of a game out of anger... is this common with people? :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jobs? Never.

Games? most of the time I realize that there are other things I would rather be doing and just drop out or don't even start playing.

Playing a game with more out of control cinematic scenes than actual player driven content is like watching a movie that randomly pauses waiting for me to hit play again. I'd rather just put on a movie in the background and go do something else.

I don't like games with unfair advantages especially when that becomes a paid for feature. Games with micro economies, tend to drive me away because technically you can play with the standard stuff, but people who put in a lot of time or cough up more cash will always have an advantage which doesn't make me want to put in more time or pay more money, it just makes me leave.

I might be having fun playing with other people who have standard stuff but then someone shows up with some crap he bought and throws off the balance. While fun for that person, it normally isn't fun for everyone else.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    never
    i usually try to make the best out of the situation even if we are losing hard
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ive smashed a ps2 controller while playing through the 1st god of war on the hardest difficulty and couldnt beat a boss for ages. threw the controller and it hit the metal of a rolling chair and cracked. had to whirlwind it and finish it off with a mega smash after that.

nowdays i meh quit like others have said, i have no desire to continue playing, ill just shut it off. i dont really give a shit about end of round bonuses and all that if im done im done and have more important things to do.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    tumblr_ma4pxwQaSj1rgns6ao1_400.jpg

tumblr_m6cufvH49I1r9zabzo1_400.gif

edit: Found a gif!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I rage quit general discussion quite alot recently :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    wha ... games? weak. i was expecting this to be about rage quitting a job!

I read a thread about this ages ago, believe it was on CGTalk. That was a doozy of a thread!

I really want to buy Dark Souls in the next Steam sale, but also I could like my xbox pad in its current working order. Hmm.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The two main reasons I've rage quit games in the past is multiplayer games where round after round, the teams are lopsided, one team has a group of skilled friends working together and decimating the other team each and every time. Whether I am on the winning or losing team in this situation, it's no fun when every round is so easily won.

The other is playing too late and getting stuck at a dumb point in a single player game. After dozens of deaths I realize I need rest and the next day I easily surpass that part.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I'm currently very close to ragequitting on the retarded bakes Maya and xNormal are giving me.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Werd to the mother land, I used to rage quit to Spector mode in Q3A. Damn bots online I tell you.

In DayZ after getting a nice amount of loot to get killed by an ass.(ass.in) or the water.

Baking AO after a long day, muther!
    Trying to print my resume today and word not allowing me to print It, I quit trying.
    Then a calm over came me and I remembered.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    If I find myself getting frustrated I quit playing. I don't have time to waste on getting frustrated.

I wouldn't really call it /ragequit, but more like /aintnobodygottimefodatquit

I would say Dark Souls is definitely a game that got me pretty frustrated. I "quit" playing it for several days on several occassions. However, it wasn't impossible and I was able to progress when I picked it up the next time.

Dark Souls is a damn good game.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    The only time i was too upset at a game to turn it off, was when Raiden started crying in the middle of the mission.... man... i still get pretty pissed just talking about it. His VO in revengeance was close to that... but i dunn think i have ever thrown a controller, or rage quit. I think with Raiden i just gave up. To later turn it on and play the tanker part only.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Never rage quit because a game is a game.

I do however get royally nicked off in DOTA2 when my team-mates don't even try playing the game as a team and start shit talking the other team when we start losing, here are some prime example:

"Choose more noob team, please" - When the other teams has Drow or Sniper.
    "Our Drow is stupid player" - When Drow in our team disconnected and nobody paused or unpaused my pause.
    "Stop getting me killed you faggot!" - When I play Disable Support and try to help a Gank and our Tank dies in 2 hits related to next part.
    "I'm a pro, but I never played this hero, lol" - Everytime we start losing.
    "Laaaaaaaaagggg" - Everytime we start losing.

Then there are non-instanced games, like MMO's or ARPG's where loot is shared between people, and they bum rush your loot and steal it, while this doesn't bother, the amount of shit-talk later on where they say "lol, you slow shit head, I ninja your loot noob" drives me up the wall.

I wish people would play a game as a game, maybe this is one of the reason people like me prefer Single Player games.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I've never rage quit a game. I've never been so angry at a game that I would destroy a controller (or as I look at it, property that I've purchased with my real money).

For the life of me, I cannot understand what would cause people to behave in such a manner. Why would someone throw a controller?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I smashed a mouse while playing jagged alliance II.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    I've never rage quit a game. I've never been so angry at a game that I would destroy a controller (or as I look at it, property that I've purchased with my real money).

For the life of me, I cannot understand what would cause people to behave in such a manner. Why would someone throw a controller?
    When I was younger I used to chew through controllers. Smashing that bastard against the wall to pay for the games sins was super satisfying.... Sure, regret follows but in the moment? Sweet release.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I alt+F4 when I get tried being frustrated in a game, but never do I actually rage. Darksouls being the main game that does it to me.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    I meh-quit.

hahaaa yeah me too. Even in single player games if Im really getting annoyed or frustrated or bored I just stop playing, if its really bad I never play that game ever again, so Ive got a lot of uncompleted games but no desire to pass that particular part Im on...:(
  • Setes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, there's nothing as frustrating and annoying as losing in teamfortress 2 because some people dont know how to:

1. Take out sentries.
    2. Defend the cart/intel/point.
    3. push/get the cart/intel/point.
    4. play medic.

And when trying to teach people how to play some 12 year old kid just yells "shut up noob", Gah >_<

also; engineers who build their sentries outside spawn and in places where there should not be sentries *sigh*
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Setes wrote: »
    Oh yes, there's nothing as frustrating and annoying as losing in teamfortress 2 because some people dont know how to:

1. Take out sentries.
    2. Defend the cart/intel/point.
    3. push/get the cart/intel/point.
    4. play medic.

And when trying to teach people how to play some 12 year old kid just yells "shut up noob", Gah >_<

also; engineers who build their sentries outside spawn and in places where there should not be sentries *sigh*

This.

TF2 is pretty much the only game that I will rage quit in. I never rage quit due to game mechanics or losing... it's always related to the random people I encounter during multiplayer games. I am utterly disgusted by this generation of gamers and the glorification of trolling.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    thought this was gonna be about jobs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcoobYUu8g&quot;]Half Baked - Scarface quits his job - YouTube[/ame]