Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Keyboard Shortcut Issues

mixeh
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mixeh polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys!

This is going to be a thread I'll keep adding too in my quest to setup my 3DS Max shortcut's for maximum efficiency (and I'm off to a bad start).

First off:

- Where can I find the option to remap the delete key and change view keys.

- The "Keyboard Shortcut Overide Toggle" always causes issues. So I'm planning on working with it always off, and doing all my shortcuts to the "Edit Poly" group, as this seems to use different keys than the "Editable poly" modifier. Is this a bad workflow? I find 3DS Max setup really bad in this regard.

That's all for now, thanks for the help.

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I don't think you can remap the delete key, it's probably set at a higher level than CUI hotkeys and it's used in many situations.

To change views, go to the customize user interface hotkeys, under category "view"

(Also you can type a letter in the hotkey field to see the name of the command.
    For instance, you know B set the bottom view. Type B, it says "assigned to : bottom view" Now just look for "bottom view" under category "all commands" and you can set a new key)

If you're not using the override, you should set all your hotkeys under the group Main UI. Other groups are meant to be used with override toggle on.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3dsmax/15/enu/3ds-max-help/index.html?url=files/GUID-C14C1D13-0E8E-4471-9671-077FDFB156C8.htm,topicNumber=d30e596017

I do think with override on, there's a group for edit poly and editable poly, but when override is off, it's all under "editable poygon object", which is probably only logical to autodesk

And yes, max setup is confusing. I personnaly never use the override because when i ctrl+s, i want to save, and not activate unwrap grid snap :p
    You most likely don't need a key for every action in all max windows, which is kinda what override lets you do. So just use coherent hotkeys for the actions your perform constantly, with override off.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your answer Noors it solved alot.

I cannot seem to find/bind the "Connect Vertex" function or the Chamfer (with options) either.

I don't know why it's this difficult....

Thanks in advance.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8