new memory 16 gigs [up from 8 gigs Ripjaws, upgraded this morning]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486
======
not that it matters maybe but 250 gb primary, 500 gb secondary harddrives
======
video
Nvidia 560 ti w/ latest drivers
======
So my problem is that my monitor [might be time for an upgrade, this is not the 1st time by any means I've had problems w it] does not display any picture. I turn on my computer and it cycles through D-Sub, DVI-A, and DVI-D prompts. It settles on D-Sub but then goes dim from a green light to an orange one and displays the Error "D-Sub connection error." This morning I got my new memory, and installed that. Everything was unplugged and off and I grounded myself before touching the computer. Then I saw that my 500 gig secondary was unplugged so I replugged it with a SATA2 cable. I did nothing else! Computer was working perfectly yesterday....

I checked my cables are tight and they are and all plugged in.
I pressed some buttons on the monitor to cycle through modes, D-Sub, DVI-A, and DVI-D. They all give the no connection error. I booted up and pressed F8 like a madman but no safe mode because the monitor doesn't work.... I'm on spring break now so I'm thinking maybe it's time for a new monitor and it will come probably right before classes start. I know the VP201b is old but it's a good workhorse and i'd like to keep it living if possible.

FYI I was looking at this new monitor. Highly rated, many eggs and decent price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079
Would it be good for my system? I see it says DVI for imput so I think I can make that work, yes?

Please help
Thank you for reading my thread, I'm sorry for it's length
bf3ranger@gmail.com

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I can't offer any reviews or opinions on monitors, but one thing to try might be turning the computer on without the monitor connected, and then after letting it start up for a few seconds (wait until you at least hear the POST beep, maybe a bit longer), plug the monitor back in. I have to do that with my VGA splitter at work otherwise all 3 of my monitors wont seem to pick up any signal.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    First thing i would try is plug the monitor into another computer that is working correctly.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid
    I'll try it

psyk0
    I dont have another comp on hand to try that with
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Have you tried a different cable and or a different type of connection, like VGA, just to narrow it down? If neither of those things change your situation than I would guess your monitor is broken.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid
    nope

even tried plugging video adapter on the cable to the 2nd slot on the videocard, no good

i dont get it. why would new memory do this to the monitor? they're not even related!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe you guys could help me out with this cable mess! looking to know what 2nd one down in pic is and which cables to ignore?? took pics w phone
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    n88tr wrote: »
    psyk0 I dont have another comp on hand to try that with

Ask a friend?

Do you hear the POST beeping and the hard drive loading windows?

I've had this problem with RAM and CPU upgrades where the hardware was too "recent" for the bios, so consider these:

-Reseat vid card and make sure RAM is seated correctly, try to boot (yes i know they are, but just in case!).

-Clear cmos, there's usually a jumper / switch / battery in last resort, try to boot.

-Take out 1 stick and try to boot (then repeat with the other stick), if that works, there's a chance the other stick is faulty.

-Put OLD RAM back in, if problem is solved with the old ram there's a chance you need a Bios update or change ram settings for the new sticks to work. Unless you upgraded from similar specs, just more of it.

After that i'm kind of out of ideas...
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm dealing with monitor problems myself at the moment, good times.

You're seeing the connection error messages, which shows that the display is working. Definitely try the monitor on another computer if you get a chance.

Your video card has two dvi slots, try plugging into the other one. While you're re-seating the video card, check all connections while you're in the case.

You could be looking at a PSU problem, mimicing Psyk0's suggestion of booting without the upgrade sticks.

When booting, do you hear any extra beeps from the PC during POST?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    things I've done to try to fix problem:

1. new DVI cable
    2. Plugged new cable into right slot on vid card
    3. Plugged new cable into left slot on vid card
    4. removed 1 stick of new ram and started up. (1 memory stick used)
    5. removed ^ and replaced with other new stick and started up. (1 memory stick used)
    6. replaced old memory... still won't work

I dunno but i think i somehow fried my monitor by installing new RAM....tales from the twilight zone
    Ideas? not even sure if new monitor will do it but that sorta looks good yeah?
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    n88tr wrote:
    I turn on my computer and it cycles through D-Sub, DVI-A, and DVI-D prompts. It settles on D-Sub but then goes dim from a green light to an orange one and displays the Error "D-Sub connection error.

This means that the monitor works.
    n88tr wrote:
    maybe you guys could help me out with this cable mess! looking to know what 2nd one down in pic is and which cables to ignore?? took pics w phone

The one in the middle is a VGA that seems to be missing the pins for Green Out and DDC.

Either your graphics card is busted or there is a problem with the cables and I bet its the cable since your VGA is missing pins.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i just replaced the cable so its not that
    someone mentioned one of the cables is missing pins. where do u figure they went? just fell off or got stuck in the gfx card?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    taking it to a fix it shop after class today. its my school 3d comp, i need it to work.
    i'll ask tech guy after what issue was and keep yall in the loop