Home General Discussion

How long does it take to design a character?

Boozebeard
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
Hey, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some of my uni work. I am writing a piece for uni on working freelance/for a client and one of the things I found was that it took much longer to come up with a design the client was happy with and matched their original vision then I had anticipated. Do any of you have any information on how long it usually takes or how many iterations on a design for a character there can be before it is approved as final? I realise this may be a "how longs a piece of string?" but there must be some kinda of average. Articles I could reference would be extra helpful (I couldn't find anything useful through google).

Edit: Just to clarify this is regarding creating concept pieces, not finished models.

Replies

• Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Look at the Skillfull huntsman. All about concepts, published book, very informative.

Literally just found a dozen on amazon. Look for the artbooks or how-too's on concept art.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    " but there must be some kinda of average."

For me it is ussually, take your best guess and double it.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Boozebeard wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some of my uni work. I am writing a piece for uni on working freelance/for a client and one of the things I found was that it took much longer to come up with a design the client was happy with and matched their original vision then I had anticipated. Do any of you have any information on how long it usually takes or how many iterations on a design for a character there can be before it is approved as final? I realise this may be a "how longs a piece of string?" but there must be some kinda of average. Articles I could reference would be extra helpful (I couldn't find anything useful through google).

Edit: Just to clarify this is regarding creating concept pieces, not finished models.

Thanks, I'll be sure to look that up.
    Muzz wrote: »
    " but there must be some kinda of average."

For me it is ussually, take your best guess and double it.

Haha. Might actually use that as a qoute :P
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    For me I usually go this route, keep in mind these are rough estimates
    1-2 hours looking up reference and inspiration for a mood board
    1 hour thumbnailing/silhouettes. just really quick sketches.
    1-3 hours picking best couple thumbnails and refining them a bit more/
    1-3 pick final and refine it as far as you want/need to. I usually just have a sketch with flat colors, rarely do I fully render a concept.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on how familiar the artist is with the subject matter, level of refinement, complexity, style, etc, etc. There's way too many factors, even if someone gave you an average it'd be utterly meaningless without context.

You'd be better off asking artists of similar styles how long their deadlines usually are.