Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nick Dariano Portfolio Update

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys,

Just updated my portfolio, feel free to check out and let me know if anything stands out.

001_homeResize.jpg

nickdariano.com

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Nice stuff man, layout works and gets you right to the art. Your information is easily found and your images are branded...good stuff. Your chainsaw thing brings me to a picture of your giant tower thing tho...I would assume thats not intended.

Would be good to see some more realistically textured pieces as you seem to have the hand painted thing going pretty well.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    excellent work. I liked just scrolling down and seeing all your work, nice and easy.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely stuff.

An extra space between the different pieces might help the eye see that you're presenting something else. I've been looking at a monitor all day, and because you start and finish with a similar style piece I thought that this was all for one big environment. After looking I saw the hard surface in the middle. It might be getting lost in there.
  • TheoM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheoM polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome Layout on the site, and it helps the work is really great too. Reminds me i need to make time for some digital painting studies aswell.

Nice job!
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    You've come a long way since I've first seen your work. Keep it up. :)
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Crazy work man! I need to do more work like that
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I always love looking at your stuff. My eyes feel at ease just about anywhere I look
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work , you have some really lovely pieces in there. The house and the trees are awesome. I don't really have anything to crit , the others have good points :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On your resume (grr... pdf... grumble, grumble) you should remove the amounts from the scholarships; the award is the important thing, and the actual amount is immaterial and may seem a bit like bragging. I find the years - especially highlighted in gray as they are - a bit distracting. Try it without dates, with the dates but next to the text and without the highlighting, and just without the highlighting and see which version friends/colleagues/family prefer. In your summary, you mention "texturing, and baking game ready" - I think you probably meant "texturing and baking game-ready assets". "Self-taught" seems to conflict with the next item, "formal training"; you might want to clarify what you taught yourself...

You really should have a direct mailto: link. Is obfuscating e-mail addresses still necessary to confuse web-crawlers used by spammers? It seems a bit unnecessary now.

On your about page, I'd add a bit more vertical separation between the menu bar and the text.

I'd separate the portfolio into one page per project, with banner images for each project. I'd also add OnMouseOver changes for the menu items and, assuming you add them, the project banners.

I don't think the cliff face rises to the quality of the rest of the scene. The texture doesn't really bring to mind a real material (even given the 'toon look for the scene). The mesh seems too artificial, with the top edge looking almost scalloped. Overall, the cliff edge should be straighter, with only occasional cracks or indentations.
    previewhighresolutionimage.php?artworkid=1535492&widthmedium=600&heightmedium=400&x=300&y=100
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.nickdariano.com/images/port13/orig/024.jpg
    This is Epic Games art test piece, isn't it? :)
    Looks great and the site is easy to navigate
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    You are good dude. Nice site too.
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Those Pine trees, looks gorgeous
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the comments guys!

@Cap: Thanks for pointing that out, should be fixed now. Yeah I agree about the realistic pieces, I do have some that I did while working at Raven unfortunately cant show them yet. :/ Need to so some more personal stuff.

@Cholden: Good point, I'll play around with it a bit. Thanks Chris!

@DWalker: Thanks dude! Yeah its funny my teacher said "put the numbers on there, they want to see the numbers." ha so I put the numbers on. I agree though, I'll make some changes to it.

Yeah I know those dang cliffs, I need to go back a redo them its on the list. ha Thanks for the comments.

@Ahoburg: Yes I believe it is! I just started modeling it for the heck of it though cause its cool as shit.

@coots7, @Kuki, @Ehsan Gamer, @chrisradsby, @KyleJensen, @GrevSev: Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it!