Here's some Texturing practice!

enjoy! ;)

FantasyA.jpg

ContemporaryA.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A normal map will really help both boxes.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    i would model out some more geo to make it have depth and also paint some AO or more shadows in the texture
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Phoenix, I think using the bare amount of geo is the point of the exercise, it's about seeing how convincingly you can paint form without actually having any, like this. I agree about the AO though, especially on the second box. It's hard to judge the depth of the planks without any occlusion, also there's no difference in lighting between the forward-facing faces of the planks and the sides.
  • Polygon Penguin
    Very nice texture, love the small details. As the others have stated the texture needs a bit more depth. The lower right face already shows depth with the plank casting a small shadow over the cobwebs. Try and apply what you have done there to the planks that form the frame.
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ra6ga5ka polycounter lvl 9
    realy nice detail and a have a realistic look for handpainted textures..
    but i think the first one need a bit of color and the 2nd one a bit mir contrast.
    i think u can handle this with some spec, normal, gloss mapping.. and lighting.
    but if u want to have this unlit shading. add more color and contrast to the textures
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The designs are really nice. They both lack depth though. Everything feels really flat.

The metal box needs color work.

The wood box needs to not be dirt in the box.

The moss feels tacked on. Give it depth.

The spiderwebs needs some brighter highlights to have a shine to them.

Nails!

Focus on telling a story with these. There is nothing really happening. Make it apparent that there is something behind these. They feel shallow as a result.
  • jairo0182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comments!
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good =).
    For the crate with dirt in it. If you add some depth via geometry to make the dirt look like its resting inside the box instead of being painted on top, it'd make the whole thing pop more & would only add an extra 16 tri's or so.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    pixelb wrote: »
    Phoenix, I think using the bare amount of geo is the point of the exercise, it's about seeing how convincingly you can paint form without actually having any, like this. I agree about the AO though, especially on the second box. It's hard to judge the depth of the planks without any occlusion, also there's no difference in lighting between the forward-facing faces of the planks and the sides.

You're right and the link/reference you included is really good.
  • Miyavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb wrote: »

Well, I guess you could always do a High-res and project it onto the original box so you could get a nice AO and Normal.

By the way, I'm mostly new to the site and this is my first year in 3D due to College... looking at some other posts, people always measure the mesh in Tris. Why is this done? What are this Tris? When we have to hand in something for College, they set us a max of polys we can use.

Now, if I recall correctly, a 4 sided poly splits up into two 3 sided polys. Are these those Tris?

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread with the question, but it was something it was bugging me out :P
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    @Miyavi: Yes they are, one quad (four sided poly) containes two tris.
    The tri polycount is always double as high as the quad poly count.
    It's because game engines (like udk) make use of tris, not quads.
    But don't worry, you can still model with 4sided polys.

As for the boxes, I think you did a good job with the textures, but they'd work better with some extra geo.
  • Miyavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    @Miyavi: Yes they are, one quad (four sided poly) containes two tris.
    The tri polycount is always double as high as the quad poly count.
    It's because game engines (like udk) make use of tris, not quads.
    But don't worry, you can still model with 4sided polys.

As for the boxes, I think you did a good job with the textures, but they'd work better with some extra geo.

Thanks! That what I guess. I know there's an option to see the tris subdivision in 3DMax :D