Home Unreal Engine

Bright spots in my lightmap.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Fingus polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone. Recently I've been having this issue where I get these really bright colored spots across my lightmap.

The scene is pretty simple. It's got one DominantDirectionalLight and two PointLights. It also has a SkyLight but it's only dynamic so that shouldn't effect the lightmap.

I've had a few cases where I can eliminate the spots by turning on Force No Precomputed Lighting and then rebuilding lighting in order to scrap all the existing lightmaps and then turning it off and rebuilding again, but it seems to only work at random.

The PointLights seem to be the culprit since the bright spots inherit their color (tested by changing them to green), and the error didn't start appearing until I brought the point lights into the scene. I'm not sure what kind of settings are causing this issue since I left them at the default setting.

The scene was initially in one of the daylight lighting templates but I changed it to a night scene, but all I really altered was the color of the DominantDirectionalLight and added the two PointLights.

lighmap%2520spots.PNG

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just installed the March 2013 release and the issue persists.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Do you have some BSP in the scene ? Or any emissive material that bake some lighting ?
    If yes then remove them, from my personal tests they give a lot of errors when building the lighting, lightmass seems to have some problem building the lighting with them.

It's a sort of random error, so sometimes you just have to rebuild the lighting, again and again. I remember one map where I had to rebuild the lighting 10 times to get rid of the problems.

Also, the March 2013 beta doesn't exist. :3
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No BSP but the metal reflections are plugged into the emissive, and the glass on the lantern has a bit of emissive too.

I tried setting the Emissive Boost setting to 0, but I'll try to disable emissive in the material itself when I get home. Thanks for the hint!

And yeah I meant Feb 2013, oops :p
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    hmm If something has changed in last 7 months im not sure, but before that the rule was not to use Skylight with Dominantlight as Skylight is legacy support for UDK and it will be removed later on, well that is what i read on EPIC froums and here at Polycount. From my experience with UDK if you mess around with its default day night sky dome setup things get messy :D as EPIC have everything linked to another in code or environment setup.

I would suggest remove all material and textures from your scene, import it into new file and use standard night setup of UDK (you know when u start UDK it show that screen for light environment) Than make a grey texture (simple color with grainy effect sort of concrete in Photoshop or any tool) than add point lights and hope for the best. :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Fingus wrote: »
    No BSP but the metal reflections are plugged into the emissive, and the glass on the lantern has a bit of emissive too.

I tried setting the Emissive Boost setting to 0, but I'll try to disable emissive in the material itself when I get home. Thanks for the hint!

And yeah I meant Feb 2013, oops :p
    Nope, I was not talking about the emissive in your material but the emissive on your static mesh, the emissive ligthing setting.

Like :
    emissive_meshlight_01.jpg