Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Layered Shader_ rusty paint

first time playing with Layered shaders and layered Texture. I really want to get good with this particular node.

Im only using one file thats photo reference, the rest is all procedural.

I am trying to create this rusy paint shader, I am just working out the color right now and not necessarily thinking spec or reflect.

would love to hear from you guys :D

541031_10152627522005247_790792222_n.jpg

313427_10152627512715247_402754749_n.jpg
this is something of what im going for.

drum1.jpg

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure if you know of this or have done this but one thing with layered textures, is on your model you can have multiple UV sets and then link that particular UV set to one (or more) textures/procedurals. Say if you added one more file texture - a dripping rust stain for example, you can create a new UV set and move the UV shells around to add dripping rust anywhere you want, flip a UV shell upside down and move it over the dripping and now you have some wear/tear variation on the bottom of the barrel too. Use Texture-Centric OR UV-Centric to link a uvset to a texture/procedural.

Regarding your texture the red rusted parts are to cloud-like, its obvious procedural/cloud noise. You can try using what I mentioned above. Maybe create a procedural noise that has harder edges from black to white and use that as an alpha in the yellow paint layer so the red rust shows through (you'd have to have your layers set up with yellow paint on top of red rust, not sure if thats the case, you didn't name all the nodes so I'm not sure). So then you can move the UV shells around to get those red rust only showing in certain areas.

Another useful node is the Remap HSV. you can basically do color correction on any texture you link it to. Useful if you wanted your yellow paint to be blue instead.

Hope that all makes sense!!!
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im having a lot of trouble getting that chipped paint look, is there any 2d texture node or technique that will help me achieve that?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may be closer to what you're going for.

bS9U982.jpg
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little update, i think it looks like shit.
    601263_10152631040015247_841779449_n.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its getting better, you have that clear separation of paint/rust now and its not all foggy/blended together.

since you weren't specific on what you think looks like shit I'll just assume you want to match the reference better? Maybe you want larger rust chunks and not the somewhat speckled look you have now? The fact you're doing this all with procedurals is going to make it more challenging to get what you want and may be impossible to get exactly what you want, but maybe you can get close. Here is a test of what I came up with. Once you set up the noise/remap value just play around with those 2 nodes until you find the shapes you're looking for, then just move UVs around on a new UV set thats linked to the noise onto the "good" parts of the pattern.

lMphEmN.jpg
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sry, I should have been more specific, but yeah I am going for something that matches that reference.
    And I do want to try and use all procedurals, just to try and push myself.
    What you are looking at from what I have posted is a layered shader with about 3 shaders in it as well as a layered texture, it might be overkill y'think?

I will post more in the future, but now I gotta get some shut eye.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was trying to figure out how you got that string of nodes plugged into the layered texture, then I tried plugging it into the alpha of the layered texture node and it worked, so yeah i guess blue means alpha.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is now what I have,

a)I also was wondering if you were using billow or perlin noise.

b)Im not sure if you can see them but I have these patchy spots on top of my barrel, like they are a little bit darker then the rest of the texture.

c) Whats the point of using the luminance RGB node?

199220_10152640752940247_224341163_n.jpg
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have noticed I can only get so much variety with using a single layered texture node, eventually I have had to add in a layered shader to separate the paint from the rust.

480634_10152640822785247_854719813_n.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Why are you doing this through Maya and not UDK, CryEngine, etc? Seems like doing this in real-time with vertex blending would be the way to go.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because animation/vfx studios dont do it that way, Im just trying to learn something new is all.

I live in Vancouver BC and its games studios have become very tight knit due to the recession.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    They create shaders inside of the game engine or their custom made shader editor.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu wrote: »
    They create shaders inside of the game engine or their custom made shader editor.

When you say "They" who are you referring to?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Shader artists.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the Luminance node converts RGB data to greyscale data. Some inputs in maya can take RGB info like the color of a shader. Others such as alpha channels require 0-1 information. If you plug in RGB data straight into an alpha channel it might not work, thus the luminance node. Another option is you can check "Alpha is luminance" in the texture node to do the same thing. problem with that method is if you're trouble shooting you can't see it in the node tree, so I prefer to use Luminance node.

I think my last example I used SpaceTime noise type. But really whatever works, there is no right or wrong answer to what kind of noise you should use.

I can't say for sure what the patchy spots on the top of the barrel are.

latest update it looking good, getting that peeled rust look a bit better now and the layered shader will help you easily define the spec/reflective properties of painted metal versus rusted metal.

Also I'll get to your PM a bit later, keep it up!
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's some more progress.

580820_10152644005950247_334028707_n.jpg