Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UGV Scorpion

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
Hi all,

This one has been keeping me busy for the last few weeks. It's for another module of the course I'm taking outside of work. There's an 8 week turn around ( spare time ) to design, model, texture, materials and rig the in-game vehicle. Also the compulsory academic written work to back everything up.

The idea is a near future unmanned ground vehicle. I really like the faceted look of WW2 vehicles so I wanted to maintain these elements in the design whilst adding some more modern touches.

Since it's a short schedule I've not gone into too much detail and went for impressions and broad strokes.

For now here's the concept/design work produced along the way. The model is incoming just finishing it off.

Design

ugv_drone_concept.jpg

Final piece

ugv_skorpion_009.jpg

Additional final images ( Saves skipping to page 2 )

I'm calling it on this one and moving on to some new stuff. More shots and breakdowns can be seen here :

http://www.antodonnell.com/ugv_drone_page.html

ugv_skorpion_002.jpg

ugv_skorpion_020.jpg

ugv_skorpion_021.jpg

ugv_skorpion_front_wire.jpg

ugv_skorpion_vertex_blending.jpg

ugv_skorpion_texture_breakdown.jpg

Replies

• terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 or 2 :D liking the idea ^^
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks terry1337. Feel free to borrow those I've clearly gone for 7 .... meatier.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    old and meh ... removed
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Material tweaks. All the damage, dust and wear is and applied with vertex colours. Took less than 5 mins to get an Urban Camo version :)

ugv_drone_materials_test.jpg
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A material test batch. Playing around with patterns and colours.

"removed old image"
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a more final image, additional material work required and some more damage and placement of rivets will be nice.

"removed old image"
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I think the 2 materials on the left look best with the upper left being the best. The camo ones are too noisy, you can't pick out panels/details. The others too saturated to look like a military vehicle.
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool but can you describe how steering works on this vehicle in case someone wants to print and build a functioning live model or animate it?
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Thanks for the comments:

dpadam450 : It is intended to be a military vehicle so the simple matte finishes would be the ones I'd see ending up on the final model. The different versions were produced to show the flexibility of the shader to allow for quick interations, each variant took less than a 20 secs to setup. The point of camouflage is to be noisey and not easily readable so it's a success :P

The_Blenderer : Of course, it is only intended to function in a fictional game environment I'd imagine further R&D would be required to see if it would indeed function in a live model. As the wheel base is from an ATV and most elements taken from real reference it could work.

It's fully rigged and in UDK. The rear suspension is very like an ATV's suspension :

http://www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/atv/222007/431136/Renegade_500_TTI_Suspension.jpg

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/productimages/coolster_atv_3050b_front_suspension.jpg

The front suspension is inspired by hydraulic suspension for IWD vehicles such as this one:

http://www.sinotrailers.com/p/shipyard-transporter.jpg

Each wheel has independent wheel drive and the vehicle is electric powered. A lot of research was carried out to ensure it's a believable design but it's not a fully engineered working prototype so I'd imagine some details or elements could be an issue.
  • AdamRodgers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting design, loving the military paintjob, throw up some refs and Ill share some on my thread too for the olive drab and scratches version, If your planning on making any more changes that is?
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh Adam,

I did not use too much ref other than images found here, this was mainly for surface/material reference:

http://www.primeportal.net/artillery/david_lueck/m2_90mm_aa_gun/

I've plenty of polish and final texturing to do on this model. So far it was just getting the model done and materials working.
  • AdamRodgers
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet cheers, as my materials are driven by masks getting this effect is easily done :)
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've worked a tiny bit on the UGV model itself but since I've spent the last two evenings messing with UDK's terrain tools. Here's the outcome.

I intend to create a desert terrain scene for the drone with additional elements in it. For now I've only time to play about.

"removed old image"
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The matte metal does not really read like metal, but that may be because of the lighting?
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Benton

Being matte metal it's a tricky balance to get right, most people like to see and expect shiny metal. Is it the lack of dirt or grunge that's causing it not to read as metal or the hint of shininess on it ?
    The scene and image was a quick test in UDK so no lighting was built or adjusted.

The material on the drone is not final, I was aiming for a material like these:

http://data3.primeportal.net/artillery/david_lueck/m2_90mm_aa_gun/images/m2_90mm_aa_gun_12_of_51.jpg

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/online-co-created-military-vehicle-concept-becomes-working-prototype-37568_1.jpg
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After time away from this one I decided to drag it back out and redo the materials and textures. The first pass is complete on this. The aim was to create a dynamic layered material that can be controlled in-game via vertex colours to allow the materials to be influenced by the environment such as the addition of dust, grunge and damage from other weaponized drones. I've almost got this working now via texture masks and lots of LERP nodes.

"removed old image"
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just setting up the final scene to get some presentation renders and general material updates and polish.

"removed old images"
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Cool vehicle and presentation!

The one thing that catches my eye is the fact that the Scorpion and the rocks are of similar hue. Any thoughts on changing the color of the Scorpion so that it pops more effectively off of the rocks?

Might be cool to add some fog for the final shot - not to obscure the asset, but to add a more dynamic look to the backdrop. Because the sun is facing us, maybe a warm inscattering color that blends off into a cooler opposite light color so that we feel the suns warmth scattering across the world. You could play with the terminator angle to adjust the sun's influence.

Best of luck completing your project!

-Jon
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input Jonathan. I'll definitely have a look at the suggestions regarding the lighting, some sound advice. What I have now is the initial setup, using complimentary colours. Next up will be some research into rendering in UDK. I'm still a rookie with it.

As for the vehicle hue that is intentional as it's supposed to be camouflage. Like this:

http://www.freeimageslive.co.uk/image/view/2435/_original

http://www.armyrecognition.com/forum_pic/koweit/Bradley_Koweit_army_Army_Recognition_Forum_001.jpg

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/rg-32m/images/5-rg32m.jpg

I'll likely need to tweak the materials a little more to create a stronger contrast/difference between the rocks and the vehicle without losing the intention of a camouflaged vehicle.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've moved this guy over to UE4 and am putting the finishing touches to it now. Also working through the asset breakdowns. Here's an image of where I'm at. PBR materials and a deferred renderer have helped a great deal.

"removed old images"

The rock Zbrush Sculpts

ugv_sculpted_rocks_001.jpg

ugv_sculpted_rocks_002.jpg
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    I Nice concept it looks awesome.

But i am confused on the number of texture map used is there 11 maps used on the vehicle?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I don't get why so many textures either, also it looks really like one diffuse map... A lot of the details don't even seem to be normal mapped and there is almost no specularity whatsoever. The materials themselves don't really read like anything. The rocks are a tad lumpy but looks pretty good overall. Something like this should have one main map and maybe a second one for the tires with diffuse, normals, and roughness.
    The model looks fine and your presentation is pretty good too, although a 3 point lighting setup might help as a lot of parts are very dark.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys thanks for the feedback,

Agreed the texture usage does seem excessive but there is a reason behind it. That is why there's a breakdown incoming. As are some additional shots to see the material definition better. In this shot the key light is above and behind the visible metallic surfaces so you're not seeing highlights around the front end from this angle.

There's an intentional mix of a matte surface, metal and plastics used. Most folks tend to overdo the specular / roughness values on models as shinier means more awesome right ?

Here's the main info:

After seeing so many games texturing vehicles with a suite of textures ( diffuse, normal, spec ) of the size 2048 X 2048 ( not the 4096 sizes you see in portfolios ) and the vehicle being uniquely unwrapped the texel density often suffered and looked poor in comparison to the surrounding tiling environment textures. Also the vehicle had no flexibility in surface properties and details it was always defined by the 3 texture maps unless you added more :/

With this in mind I approached this vehicle with the goal of creating it using tiling textures. That could also be used on other assets and the environment. One benefit of this is shared textures across a variety of assets but also the ability to have many instances of this vehicle that look different due to the material being flexible enough to allow me to change the underlying base colour on the fly along with the specular and roughness values.

Damage, dust and grunge is applied with vertex colours also and can be dynamic in game reacting to projectile hits etc. The model could be factory new or battle worn depending on context.

With the current setup I can get a lot out of one asset. Not only that I can instance the materials and share textures across a full environment reducing the overall scene cost not just for the environment but also props. When viewed up close the vehicle has finer surface detail and holds up better to scrutiny.

Here's a more detailed breakdown:

Unique vehicle textures:

1 X 2048 A normal map containing damage for the asset.
    1 X 2048 Data map ( packed channels controlling damage masks, AO and dirt )

2 X 512 X 256 A diffuse and normal for the cables around the " neck "
    2 X 512 A diffuse and normal for the tyres
    3 X 1024 Diffuse and normal for additional details such as bolts, rivets, stickers.

From these maps the detail maps for rivets, bolts and stickers can be used on other vehicles or props.

The only truly bespoke maps for this model are the top 2 X 2048's. The way the materials are setup any asset just needs these two maps of a suitable size to be able to produce a decent result. The cost for any other generic assets could be just 2 maps each.

The remaining maps are the simple tiling ones which can be shared throughout the environment :

1 X 2048 A tiling normal map to give fine surface detail
    1 X 2048 Data map ( packed channels containing 3 varieties of greyscale textures to be used as surface noise and masks)

I hope this helps clarify the reasons behind the choices on this model. It was a bit of an experiment to see what results can be achieved when the main work is on the material side and not in the texture.

Other WIP Images with different light setup

http://t.co/lZhM6ctDTv

http://t.co/iXOMXyUe53
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post moved to front page of the thread.
  • dalekchef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dalekchef polycounter lvl 2
    The rocks look really great.

I am curious, what polycount (or vertex count whatever) are using for your low-poly assets that you are bringing into Unreal?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice bud, i like the texture work...
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

A bit of necro-thread revival is always good. Thanks for the comments.

For your question dalekchef are you enquiring about the rocks only or the whole asset ?

If it's rocks only I can check the file tonight and let you know exactly what they are. At a guess each chunk would be around 1,200 - 2,000 triangles.

The vehicle is just over 51,000 triangles. I left it this high as most details are modelled and normal map usage was kept to a minimum.

I'm currently working on a new asset with the same idea but even more polygons. Just seeing how more polygons and less textures work or rather more generic reusable textures as opposed to unique ones. Thus letting the material work with the geometry to give the desired results.
  • dalekchef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dalekchef polycounter lvl 2
    An approximation is great, thank you very much!

I think both models look really good for such low poly counts. In particular I am impressed that you were able to get the crevices on the rocks to look so good for around 2k poly.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi dalekchef,

I've opened the file now and checked. There are 8 rock meshes in total.

1 Large, 2 medium and 5 small.

The 5 small rocks are from 256 - 314 triangles
    The 2 medium rocks are 1064 and 1300 triangles
    The 1 large rock is 2482 triangles

Looking at the models again they could be reduced by another 20% easily by reducing polygon usage in larger flatter areas.

The game res meshes were produced with z remesher in ZBrush to see what it was like.

The game res mesh is very close to the high poly sculpts silhouette so it helps.
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    That's awesome!