Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Fantasy castle ruins - ncd

ncd
ncd
I want to make something like this:

106.jpg

Or this:

2.jpg

Engine will be UDK. I would gladly collaborate with anyone who would like to join.

My skills are mainly modeling, but I would love to get some help with someone who is good with UDK materials and shaders.

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    What's the escape aspect of it?
  • ncd
    The escape aspect is that I want someone to live in it. The ruins would be undiscovered but then found by someone - a child perhaps? - and that person makes it their secret hideaway.

I had a similar idea with this old project that I did, but I want to do it on a bigger scale:

environment-1.jpg
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    I am very interested to join in. You focus in environments? I would love to make assets for this setting. I love the images you have chosen for this concept. I specialize in making high level sculpting, then retopo with Normals baked and then retexturing. I have basic understanding of shaders, but I am willing to learn and I am a fast learner.
  • ncd
    Sweet!. I'll be posting up a concept tonight and would like to know what you think.
  • Berth
  • ncd
    OK so I have a rough concept put together.

Sketch:

Concept1.jpg

Preliminary lighting:

Concept2.jpg

Breakdown:

Concept3.jpg

Let me know what you guys think
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    It looks very interesting! I must say however, its still different with what I came up with, and I am joining up with 3dVlad. After a little bit of thought, its better to have a small team to do the environment than a massive one. Work with Berth! I'll follow closely to this thread to see how it goes!
  • ncd
    Well it looks like I'm back to solo. I'll be posting updates as they come. I am open to anyone who would like to join me.
    what is going to be your work flow and what are you going to use?

I work in 3DSMax mainly. I'll start with the main environment assets. I'll model out all the structures, make the UVs, and bring them into UDK to set up the environment. Once I am happy with it I'll work on the textures for the structures, then I'll start on the details - starting on the characters and then on all the smaller props. I will do the normal details in ZBrush and the rest in Photoshop. For the character I might use Maya since it's a bit easier in that. I'm not very good at doing ZBrush to retopo so unless I have time to play around with that I'll do the old fashioned manual method.

Time breakdown:

4 Weeks - Environment
    3 Weeks - Characters and props
    2 Weeks - Lighting and refinement

And I believe that covers the whole time.