Home General Discussion

My iPhone game! Shounen Kung-fu!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
Howdy!:poly142:

Since I've not been able to score a job anywhere, I've instead been working on my own little iPhone game!:poly118: :)
It is currently available worldwide and therefore I'd love it if all of you sexy beasts could take a look at it and maybe give it a go!:poly136::thumbup:

[vv]60914053[/vv]

The game is a bit like whack-a-mole I guess. It puts the player in the middle of the action with enemies rushing in from all around him and you as the player have to tap markers to attack the enemies.
Of course it's all in 3d (the one without the glasses!) with lots of animations and cutscenes!:poly121:

If you manage to beat every other level perfectly - without taking any damage, you'll get the chance to play a mini-game, basically test your might from the Mortal Kombat franchice :)
If you beat the mini-game you'll unlock a bonus level, beating mini-games and scoring perfect on all levels will unlock additional levels.

One inspired by the game (or mini-game rather) that inspired me to do this game. The PSP game Daxter had a mini-game where Daxter was dreaming about being in the Matrix, so I've also given this game a Matrix level, hopefully as a obvious enough reference to the Daxter game :):poly141:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/shounen-kung-fu/id604053341?l=en&mt=8
There's the link to the app page if the trailer wets your appetite! :)
And of course the trailer and some screenshots are available on my webpage, link in my sig!:)

ShounenKungfu.jpg

Thank you for at least checking out the thread!:angel:

I learned quite a lot during the making of this, not only the mindset I need to script but also about draw calls:poly118:. Will take all that knowledge and apply it to my next project!:poly136:. That said, the game runs fine on iPhone4 and later!:poly122:

Replies

• rogueNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job - I love the animations and the gameplay is simple enough to make it a fun little time-waster :)
    Not sure if you're looking for any sort of critique at all, but I think with a little more polish on visual design (specifically the characters, but also elements like the icon and interface), you'd have a real winner on your hands :) The animations have a lot of charm, something you don't see often in mobile games.

Again, great job and good luck!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you good sir! Not only for the feedback but also for taking the time to comment! *tumbleweed*

Since I tend to think of myself as an animator, I hope that at least the animations are up to par :D And I also hope that since like you say, mobile animations (3d ones at least) tend to not have a lot of fancy animations in them, something I hope my game at least can differentiate itself with :)

As I said, since I think of myself as an animator, I'm gonna go ahead and use my animator-get-out-of-art-responsibility-card here and say that sure, the art could have been better ;) but I'm pleased enough with it and I think it at least holds an even look through out the game. art direction!! ;D

Thank you again for commenting!
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations on your first self-made game :) It's a great thing that there's a market for games like this these days, especially when good paying jobs are in short supply.

I would like to say that the trailer needs work. Almost half of it is just logos, the little footage that is there doesn't show much variety in the environments (show ever level in the game if there are not that many), and there's no music (no title theme or anything like that you could use?). It's not a demo reel so there's no reason for you to display "That Animator" so prominently at the start, use the games title logo instead, with something like "A Game by ThatAnimator" under it instead.

I don't really like the character designs either, but I see you're pulling the Animator-card on that one so nevermind :p
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comment!

Yes I am not happy with the trailer, it did pass the friends-and-family test though so I thought it would be good enough, at least at showing the general animations and what have you..
    The title theme is very slow paced and didn't really fit with the trailer. I tried different styles of music but didn't really find anything I liked. In the end I just thought that people listen to their own music, so I don't need to force something half-assed on them :)
    But yeah, I guess it would have been a bit better if I had the title logo at the start.. maybe :) The intro cutscene also has that thatanimator stuff on it, thought it would be kinda fun to make it the same..

And yeah, the Animator-card has been used so no more hate on the characters!! ;D
    No but I'll do better for the next one :P especially since it will only have one character! :D (that you can customize/change texture on)

Thanks for the trailer feedback and for the comment! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think it looks pretty great actually. Nice gameplay style. Visually it's pretty nice too! Producing your own game and getting it on the marketplace is a huge achievement; congrats! Hope it does well.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Andreas!
    I thought that iTunes had a "New this week" section, but after actually having the game get released I saw that the only thing they have that is close is "New and noteworthy" which I didn't get on.
    For now though it's still possible to find the game on some-what of the front page if you just go into the sub categories, but that'll probably just last for a day or two more :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    There are many sites that review apps; look around for them and spam them, asking for reviews. That's your best bet for publicity. This is a Unity game I take it?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Great job man! Some dev stat would be nice. Engine? How long? Did you hire outside contractors?

The animations are very well done.
  • rogueNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Thatanimator - I hope I didn't come across the wrong way in my comments. I think the game looks awesome - there's certainly no need to play the "i'm an animator" card ;) I guess when I was playing it, I just saw some potential in there for a few tweaks to make it stand out. The great animations combined with simple (yet pretty damn challenging!) gameplay scream "hit" to me, so I started thinking of ways to add more commercial appeal to it.

For example, I love the design of the character in terms of silhouette and cell shaded style, but I find the face could be more appealing - I'd even go so far as to say "cute" and that's not a word I throw around often ;) "Cute" seems to go a long way on the AppStore, though, particularly with the casual market. Look at Subway Surfers for a great example of cute that doesn't make you want to throw up in your mouth a little...

That cuteness could be carried across other elements as well - it's already sort of there in the simple, stylized shapes in the environments, but I picture it being pushed a little further. Maybe a bit more saturation in the colours; perhaps some non-traditional colours for the grass and trees...

In the end though, it's your game and you did a wicked job. Love those finishing moves :)

Oh, and be sure to put a thread in TouchArcade's forum if you haven't already - they seem to have a pretty active community.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Sorry I didn't answer earlier! Had a LAN party here at home, playing dat LoL and Tekken all night! :)

Andreas, I have emailed Touch Arcade that monster mentioned as well as TIG Source, which is an indie blog. I haven't heard from them yet. I'll try some others I guess :) might have to send a redeemable code as well? ;P

Monster, the engine is the obvious one, that everyone uses these days ;D
    The main character is way old actually and was modelled for fun and animated into a pre-vis kinda thing. How I'd imagine a game on a Nintendo DS to look like..
    I found this video and .fbx file a couple of months ago and revived it with whatever I have learned over the years, and it ended up as the finished product.
    I didn't hire any outside contractors as I "knew" how to create all the content myself. What I had to learn was JavaScript, which I fiddled around with, as seen in other smaller demos on my site.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bK2HK_LDNc"]gameplay.avi - YouTube[/ame]
    Here is the original pre-vis for whatever I imagined back then :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWvXBwTwAD4[/ame]
    An early VS wip, including shitty framerate due to the recorder!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBsOp-nHJfk"]ninja attack - YouTube[/ame]
    just a playblast of the ninja animations..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKX-gwlB-0"]run&attack wip - YouTube[/ame]
    ingame recording of the alien loops

rogueNoodle, nothing came across wrong or evil in anyway! :) I understand and agree with the feedback!
    my wife complained about the face all through out the development. as seen in the VS video, the character had a different look to him then and now :)
    I'll just get this second project out the door, then I'd like to find a freelance modeler that can hook me up with a sweet main character and some modular enemies that I can hack around with, for whatever I may think of in the future.

Thank you for playing the game!! :D I hope you found it fun enough and the "prety damn challenging" comment was nice to hear! :) I've had to tweek the difficulty quite a bit, but I'm happy with the Matrix bonus level difficulty.. the main story (or whatever :)) is a bit on the easy side though :) blame the testers! (my wife for example!!)

I'll give forums a go as well as contacting blogs! Good idea! :D

Again, thank you guys for the comments and interest in the game!