Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE – Virtual Paradise – BioFrost

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
After a bit of thinking what came to mind is a near future world where people can't cope with reality anymore. So for their escape, they go to a virtual reality shop where they "jack in" and for however many hours they pay, escape their real problems.

A major goal I have with this is to really push a next gen look. A lot of that look I feel comes from lighting and that is currently a weakness of mine. So I hope I'll be able to push myself to achieve that.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Sounds interesting, your description reminded me of this drawing, which you've probably seen before: http://moesucks.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cyberpunk.jpg
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
    Reminds me of the Caprica series and their Holodecks... :P
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek Never seen that drawing before. Looks really awesome and is exactly the mood I want to go for.
    @Amatobhm Never saw Caprica, will have to give it a watch for reference!

For the look and feel of this scene I want it to look like a place that used to be nice, but has since turned into a bad area of town. V-Heads stealing and killing just to get back into cyberspace.

As I am currently finishing up another scene I am taking this time to plan out everything well ahead in advance(things I should always have done!). Over the next few days I want to finalize a blueprint of the layout, Create a moodboard, and come up with a company logo for the corporation that owns these VR shops.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Yeah it's still alive. Starting to finally work on this. Though I would start off with a moodboard and a piece of concept art.

The moodboard was hard to come up with because what I want to go for seems hard to find. When you think gritty sci fi most of what comes up is stuff that looks like it was never nice, like it was built gritty. I want something that looked nice at one point but was brought down over time and because grungy.

iMgTgl7.jpg

Im far from a good 2d artist but as with all things, no improvement if you don't actually do it.

This is going to be the Virtual Reality pod. Pay X amount of money and you get X amount of hours with whatever your mind desires.
    d7ESDKX.png

The plan is to have a lobby area with some chairs, receptionist desk etc... and then a door that leads to the VR room. Rows of those pods for people to occupy.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started modeling yesterday! I have a blockout done and working on a high poly curved hallway at the moment.

dNaOC7W.jpg
    PSn9Azg.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some stuff into UDK. Had a lot of hickups along the way with this being my first big scene with Max.(Used Maya for all other work)

I assumed the normal map would be good enough for the pipes and such but I think ill need to go back and model that out.

Goal is to get this hallway area done,Textures, lighting and materials set so I can be sure I can get the tone right. Then ill move onto the larger area.
    QApLcPg.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some progress on the hallway section.Hoping to get it done soon.

Started with this color scheme but was unhappy with how gray it was.
    ixuKNMl.jpg

Switched it up to white with hints of blue
    ONSnb2S.jpg

Need to create a light function for water water caustics and get the power cables textured next.

Wip of the caustics

vqOHUOd.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picture of the finished texture for the hallway!

a4dtHBS.jpg
  • Xeroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The style of the floor panels are great but colourwise I personally prefer the darker grey colour the metallic shine of the first image makes it look realistic which is reduced in the later images...
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xeroll. I agree it looks more realistic darker, that's not the style I want to go for.

Want to get the hallway done by friday, so I can focus on the elevator to the left and the main lab area. Hope to get everything done in time. Just gotta push myself.
    V9maHEs.jpg
  • Xeroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta say everything's blended well together in your latest update, a very believable environment... great job!

Love the honeycomb detail on the panels, nice touch!
  • Sketchfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sketchfab polycounter lvl 4
    Really can't wait to see this finished. Awesome work so far. :D
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    Very interesting. I am interested to see how you do this part.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just have to finish up stuff in the lab(Not wanting to show it until its mostly done)and the things for the water tank.

ictk8c2.jpg