Home General Discussion

Getting away from game development @ my desk

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me, I'm looking to get into game development away from my desk.

I'd rather be sitting on the couch, sitting outside on the deck etc, but still be writing code / messing with the editor / scripting etc and being able to draw bits and pieces when I need to.

I haven't yet seriously looked in to tablets of any kind but about to - is anyone else currently tackling game dev in this manner ? what kinda gear are you using?

Replies

• Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Have you looked into a beefy laptop?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    got a macbook retina. love it for working on the couch. most of the work I can do with the intel card so the battery lasts and it doesn't get too hot and it's lightweight to move around. The nvidia card it has is quite powerful too. The best thing really is that it's so lightweight. Display, huge trackpad and backlit keyboard are awesome too for ergonomics. Plus the colors on the display are very nice for gfx work.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I remember hearing crazyfool saying he liked working on this thing:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1C-A01US

I'd probably pick up something similar to that. Beefy laptops are just not for me, throw a Wacom tablet into that situation and it's crazy cumbersome to move around.

The whole detachable keyboard thing is rad, and apparently it has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity which is even better.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I have a nice big screen and wireless keyboard, mouse and headphones. Suits me just fine.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Curt / Kwramm, will check those badboys out next time I head into town.

Anyone had any experience with this piece of kit?

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-AU

Should have mentioned, not looking for a big beefy laptop, already have one, thats still pretty chunky to lug around like Curt said. Looking for something lighter, pretty compact, doesnt necessarily have to be too powerful.

Think..... something I can lay in my hammock outside on the deck working on my games.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Don't know how useful it would be but have you ever looked at the Lenovo Yoga? Don't know about the power of it (though for the type it doesn't seem to bad) but it has a lot of options for how and or where you want to use it.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one thanks Hardballer will check this out too :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would love for you to keep this thread updated, Hazardous. This is something I'd love as well ... the ability to sit in bed or in a hammock or whatever and still be able to model/sculpt/paint stuff without it being a pain.

The Surface Pro looks really tempting, especially with the wacom pen. Anyone tried that yet for real world work?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Yea I love my samsung, I sort of wish I waited for the surface pro but I've heard a few mixed reviews on it. Stuff like a 4 hour battery life and the Wacom side of things was still a bit shadey, that was just word of mouth though.

PC tablets are really good but some things aren't too great on them. Modelling on them is best at a desk I feel but sculpting, doodling and typing is alot more fun. Low battery life is a common issue but the samsung gets 6 hours easy on the high settings so if you run an optimised setup with low brightness it does last longer. The light sensitivity setting is rubbish so don't use it. The memory is also not great, ssd drive is awesome but at only 64gb you are best using it for system stuff and then micro sd the rest, i got a 32gb card super cheap, the surface pro has 128gb memory though which solves it. 4gb of ram means it runs real nice too. Screen resolution is mad on the latest samsung, not sure what the surface has but this has 1920xsomething haha. The main thing is how much nicer it is to sit on the couch and relax whilst doing and not be completely anti social with it too. My lady can watch whatever crap she wants on the tele and I can get my sculpt on haha.

They are all very pricey though, you could probably buy a nice desktop for the same money but the added freedom of taking it anywhere outweighs this, again it's still no replacement for a desktop, best for ideas and throwaways.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, related to this ... I know the Surface Pro says it can run all of your existing Windows apps because it's a full version of Windows. Which is great but how do you actually get them on the tablet? Do you put the installers on USB drives or something? Sync through DropBox?

Am I being dumb? :)
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Most software is installed over the internet today, so I presume that's how you'd do it.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    The next generation of the Surface Pro will probably be equipped with Intel's Haswell cpu's, extending the battery life. Question is, will I be able to wait that long? :)
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    If you're really trying to get away from game dev, just do some good ol' drawing :) Life studies are always helpful for artists. If you already have a tablet, there's quite a few sketching apps on Android and iOS.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Gabe from Penny-Arcade has been using the Surface Pro recently, obviously for 2D work, and he's been loving it. I've been hearing a lot of bad things about the Surface Pro, but then that's mainly from the main-stream tech sites, and they're maybe not looking at it in the same way game devs would be.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    well i've got two for you

Lenovo Thinkvision 1423p - wireless monitor. not out yet and looks as though it may have more drawbacks than i can use but interesting none the less. of course you would need a laptop/desktop to pair this with http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/lenovo-thinkvision-lt1423p-mobile-monitor/

OpenPandora - I have one these and it's a pretty cool little linux powered box if a little quirky, but its open and has a qwerty keyboard which can definitely be useful. not sure if it would help with anytthing other than coding/scripting however(someone recently tried porting blender and it worked but blech slow software rendering.)
    http://www.openpandora.org/
    http://boards.openpandora.org/

hope that helps
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Even if you don't have a beefy machine, a lot of work can be done away from a desk. Concept sketches are just as well done on paper or something, and a lot of preproduction work like design document is done quite easily on a low-end netbook. And of course some business/marketing related things like updating a website or emailing journalists.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Gabe from Penny-Arcade has been using the Surface Pro recently, obviously for 2D work, and he's been loving it. I've been hearing a lot of bad things about the Surface Pro, but then that's mainly from the main-stream tech sites, and they're maybe not looking at it in the same way game devs would be.

Yeah, most reviewers have been blaming it for, well, not being an iPad.. despite the fact that it's built with content creation instead of pure consumption in mind. But 4 hours of battery life are admittedly quite weak.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently looking forward to this:

Thinkpad Helix

Product page:

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/thinkpad/thinkpad-helix/

Design and Engineering video put out by an advertising firm:

[vv]59572808[/vv]

Slated for early March release - was supposed to be in February originally, so who knows exactly when. Pre orders haven't started yet.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks everyone, definitely a few to check out there!

Thanks for that breakdown crazyfool, thats awesome. At the moment its kinda the one im leaning towards, as it appears the surface pro isnt out in australia yet and there is no release date set yet - DOH!

Will keep updated on how this pans out :)
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might not be the answer your were waiting for, but I had the same urge as you to spend less time at my desk. I then decided to put more time into research with books and just a simple notebook. Learning new disciplines to reflect on what you already know has been the greatest inspiration for me.

And doing this in a place like a coffee shop has worked magical for me :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, it would be about being to spend a few hours on a nice Sunday afternoon painting or sculpting on the back deck or on the bed with the windows open. Stuff like that. It's not that I'm tired of computer work it's that I tire of this room sometimes.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lenovo Helix looks great as well. I hope it has a wacom digitizer and comes in Lenovo's usual sturdy package.. pricing might be higher than MS, though.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hazard, as mentioned, the new core series will be out in about 4 months. Not only is the battery life better. But since you are looking at ipu's versus gpus with most stylus tablets, you will want to wait.

The haswell? core series supposedly will have an igp 2x the performance of the current.

If you are going to use things like 3d coat, you will need the best ipu you can get. ipu/igpu(same thing).
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a constant issue I have with my samsung :)

71396_10200549666088292_1156884172_n.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to having this problem myself!!! :D
  • Spiffy664
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    surface pro or similar product sounds like what you would want. Its the tablet geared towards professionals, after all.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyfool: Have you used unity or any other development suite / engine on your machine ?? How was the performance etc ?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Here's a recent post from Penny Arcade about his daily use with the MS Surface Pro:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/22/the-ms-surface-pro
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Crazyfool: Have you used unity or any other development suite / engine on your machine ?? How was the performance etc ?

not yet I'm afraid, i would of thought they would run fine though,
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Any idea how these run with Maya / animation?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic, that sounds encouraging. Thanks for the link.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I went looking for a surface today after seeing this thread but it's sold out off of the face of the planet.

I can't seem to find a pro 128gb online or off. :(
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear that man, no stock down here either!

I also read something about wacom releasing a new tablet style bit of kit later this year.... i wonder what thats going to be like and if i should wait for that....
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I have a surface pro, It's a very cool device, and if you like sketchbook pro and mostly plan on sketching, it's ready to go right now. However if you want to use zbrush or any software that replies on wintab drivers (basically, everything other than sketchbook pro and artrage as far as I know) you might want to wait. Unless you don't have a problem using zbrush with no pressure sensitivity.

Microsoft is apparently working with wacom on a driver solution, so I'm sure its just a matter of time (who knows how long).

If you're really looking to do most of your serious work on a tablet (and don't mind putting down some serious cash), I think the thinkpad helix is your best bet. You can customize it to be very powerful and hopefully it has wintab support on release (who knows though, this is almost always an issue with tablet pcs that's only been made more complicated by windows 8 )

As for wacom making a tablet pc type thing, I remember reading a long time ago that they weren't interested in getting into the pc hardware market. I'd love to be wrong, but even if they do release such a device, I can't imagine how expensive it will be considering how expensive the rest of their products are. I'd assume it would be priced somewhere as hilariously high as modbook pro's.

Edit: just saw the facebook post from wacom saying they're working on a tablet of some kind... Interesting. Like I said above though, I imagine it being insanely expensive. Here's the link if anyones curious

http://www.facebook.com/Wacom/posts/10151269211541691
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my Surface plans are on hold now until I hear more about what Wacom wants to do ... which is exactly what Wacom wants, I'm sure. :)
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    If you are going for a beefy laptop; I am using Asus G75 VX, and it has everything you need and even more, except it is 4.5 kg.
    If you are looking for something "alternative" , my advice would be a surface tablet. Why because it runs on Windows and believe me; if you are developing a game, do it on Windows. ANd the tablet itself should provide you with enough firepower and mobility.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just purchased a Surface Pro - will let you guys know how everything goes over the next few days / weeks etc :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    looking forward to hear more. What would also be interesting if you could use the Surface as a monitor for your main machine, like you can do with the iPad.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    crazyfool wrote: »
    this is a constant issue I have with my samsung :)

Maybe it was keeping watch for the missing PC mouse...
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Just got a new worky laptop.. The new Dell XPS 15 supped up. Amazing little machine and amazing build quality no complaints. Even has decent batter life
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me, I'm looking to get into game development away from my desk.

I'd rather be sitting on the couch, sitting outside on the deck etc, but still be writing code / messing with the editor / scripting etc and being able to draw bits and pieces when I need to.

I haven't yet seriously looked in to tablets of any kind but about to - is anyone else currently tackling game dev in this manner ? what kinda gear are you using?

I've been drawing and scanning all of my artwork for a new project. This is something I've never done before so I'm still working things out.

PastelDrawings-e1370305890402.jpg

Video of rough WIP:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlQXeFpONM"]Pastel Caves - Rough Prototype Lighting Update - YouTube[/ame]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looking forward to your impressions, haz. I've had my eye on one recently.. it's tempting.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P.S That is looking awesome RyanB!!!
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    P.S That is looking awesome RyanB!!!

I couldnt agree more!
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hazardous and Mangled! Its fun to work this way and I can do it almost anywhere.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Just purchased a Surface Pro - will let you guys know how everything goes over the next few days / weeks etc :)
    A new toy to play with haha, would like to know how it goes as well, been thinking of getting a Surface some time.
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    how is it to work with? :D

Edit. I see that the post was from yesterday. take your time then, thought it was an older post :)
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    Hopefully this isn't poor forum practice, but I am in desperate need of a new laptop for doing Modo/3DS Max/Zbrush/Photoshop/The GiMP type things on.

My current laptop is over 5 years old and ran like dying dog even back then. Currently it has trouble having more than 6 google chrome tabs open and running a photoshop file. Gods forbid I want to listen to music, open reference and work in a 3D app!

The desktop I have is OK, also about 2-3 yrs old, but it has an ATI/AMD card and my main software package has become Modo (along with GiMP & Sculptris, as I cannot afford to buy Photoshop and Zbrush currently) which runs quite poorly on my PC, and I hear it's because ATI cards don't play nice with Modo.

So I was hoping to get some advice on what people have found is a good size/weight/power laptop? Or what components I should look for in a laptop for mostly 3d app work and 2d work with my tablet. I'm not as keen to get away from the desk, I just want to get a powerful laptop I can take to places that doesn't weigh almost 6kgs like my current one.

If this IS poor forum practice, or I've missed a good hardware guide thread, please let me know, I tried searching but was unable to find anything!