Home General Discussion

Flown Out for Interview, What to Expect?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm being flown out for an in-person interview on Monday. I've had two interviews with the company previously, one with the Art Director and the other with the COO. Obviously they're pretty interested in me if they're flying me out there. I'm just wondering what to expect from it, the Art Director already looked at my work but I'm interviewing with the Studio Director as well. I'm guessing this is just to make sure that I jive with the rest of the team and to make sure I'm not a total ass? Obviously I'm not gonna get my hopes too high but the signs are looking good.

Also, just a few general interview questions like what to wear, should I bring my portfolio with me(even if the Art Director looked at it) and what not. I just don't want to mess this up

Replies

• Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    After tons of interviews:

Be yourself. Be happy. Don't expect anything. Enjoy the experience, you just levelled your people skills up.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    if you have an online portfolio, that should be accessible during the interview. I would wear something that looks professional/casual. I wouldn't go full blown suit and tie. Perhaps nice pants, button up shirt. etc.

My only advice: be honest, be yourself. They are going to ask you questions about art and video games. how hard is that?
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Take your portfolio, it's better to not need it than look unprepared. If you are unsure what to wear, just ask them. It's a very common question to ask and it takes all of the guess work out.

Your typical dress probably should be a clean crisp pair of jeans, nice shoes, and a dapper shirt, probably something with a collar. More of your a-typical new age GQ business casual. You more than likely won't need a suit and tie.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I'd highly recommend the GIM videos: http://gim.acanaday.com/ - they cover things like 'The Interview' in a way which might inform you a bit better.

You passed the first step which was via Skype or phone and now they want to meet you face to face. Generally that's pretty good news. If anything, they will be trying to find a reason not to hire you.

The face to face interview is as much for them as it is for you. You have been invited to get a feel for the place and for you yourself to see if you would fit in. My guess is that by being invited by them, you have already got their attention so now it's about sealing the deal.

Having an online portfolio is useful but it doesn't hurt to take along a physical printout of your work which you can leave behind.

In terms of what to wear.. just be yourself. Chances are it could last a few hours if not longer so you want to be comfortable. The games industry is a pretty relaxed industry and most people just wear what they're comfortable in. It doesn't hurt to turn up the notch a little to make sure you don't look unkempt. If that means wearing a shirt or wearing a plain t-shirt instead of your favourite game or band then so be it.

Have a think about typical interview questions and maybe have a think about salary and availability stuff as it will always come up.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my experience, the on-site interview is more about your personality than anything else. "Are you crazy?", basically. :) They want to get a feel for you to see if you'll mesh with the people there. They're already satisfied with your art skills or they wouldn't be spending the money/time to fly you out.

Dress nicely (clean and put together, you don't have to go crazy) and be yourself (as much as you can be in spite of nerves).

And have fun! You''ve got a good shot here ... good luck!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    good luck :) just relax and have fun. I do keep a copy of my resume, and i bring a HD with my portfolio work, just in case. :D
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    23145-02aa5b7f42c9f4c8f7b89d4085fe9cbe..jpg

Obviously what you should expect.

(seriously though, be calm, be cool, flying you out does not mean you have the job, but its certainly is a good thing and shows alot of interest in you, be positive and be careful who you offer your sexual favors to during the interview)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Hah! Small world Sukotto! I was checking your portfolio out and saw you worked at reactor zero? We're practically neighbors(I work at a game studio about 30/40 minutes from R-zero) and I work with a few programmers who used to work there as well. Anyway enough of my rambling.

I just wanted to say best of luck and I hope you end up some place warmer! This Michigan winter is terrible.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Don't even worry dude, you're going to kick ass.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice is this for an animation position perhaps?

And what seforin suggests.

Best of luck.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome guys thanks!

Seforin: So is it naive of me to assume there will be mountains of the stuff there?
    Artquest: No way! Yeah I was a contract artist at RZ and my time was up. So you're at Stardock then? But yeah this winter is terrible cant wait to move to warmer climates.

Also, another question is about pay. Does anyone know the average salary for a 3D Artist in Nevada/Vegas? Is the cost of living comparable to California or Texas?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Cost of living for Vegas is going to be a LOT less than California, and somewhat less than Texas (depending on part of Texas)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    dont name a price unless you are forced ffs.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I heard from a little birdie that the face to face went really well.

Just mentioning. :D