Home Technical Talk

Complete workflow in Z-Brush ? Advice needed

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Shrike interpolator
Hey guys,

Im standing now infront of a decision and I really dont know what I should do. I would really appreciate your input.

I dont really know which program I should focus on. (and more)
Im 22 now and I started early in 3D with Sketchup, and later Cinema 4D and
was the best in School kind of, but we never learned for Game-Related
models and Im still not into next gen workflow with baking and stuff.

I worked a LOT at home, I know many technical things from years of reading
and watching/trying my fellow students dont know about, and photoshop is
my alpha and omega, but im a lot more into rendering than modeling atm..

Here is my current work:
http://sgfx.carbonmade.com/

Thing now is, I need to start modeling excessive soon, and I cant decide
for a package, and Im not even 100% sure I want to do classical modeling,
maybe I go more into the promotional or motion graphics tree, but I want
to be able to make "real" models and not be a half-assed 3D graphic
artist, doing renders of not unwrapped meshes out of splines and such.

Option 1:
Learn 3Ds Max, stay with Mudbox for sculpting , and C4D for the Renders
3Ds seems to model really well, but I dont like the workflow that much
and the interface is like the worst thing in UX history. Mudbox is neat but I hate 3Ds.

Option 2:
Because I dont like that option 1 so much , I wondered If I could put
a whole game workflow in Z-Brush. Is it managable to get the low poly
without a classical modeling tool? There are enough ways for retopo and
unvrapping, but can I get the whole mesh done in Z-Brush alone ?

(Option 3: )
Master C4D and try to get the stuff done there ? It even has mudbox level
sculpting now, polypaint, great retopo as plugin, and UV I cant judge yet.
I love the Ui, got my custom workspace, and its just enjoyable, but it
cant stand 3DS in raw modeling functions.

TLDR:

Can I skip the classical modeling (high and low) when im really into Z-Brush ? Can I do both versions in it ?

For the people who read it all, what do you think I should do ?
Id really like to focus on one modeling program (ignoring mudbox, its
so intuitive to use) to spend my time on.
(I can model low poly kind of, but high poly is another world)

Thanks for the read, ill really appreciate any comments :)

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Option 2 is possible, but would be pretty limited. Zbrush works best when paired up with another program, whether it is Max, Maya, Softimage, Blender, etc. Pretty much anything that can handle OBJ files and give you far more control over things like UVs and vertex normals (plus being able to model when you need to can still help when it comes to creating base meshes, insertion brushes, faster retopology, etc)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Well its not like I dont want to use other programs as help at all, I have no issues
    with opening 3DS to change the normals and import to something else for the UVs and whatnot, its more about the modeling process itself, basemesh and lowpoly
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Option 2 is totally viable.

Zbrush is just so much different than other 3D modeling programs. It makes it hard to learn everything in it all at once. I have, and still am, slowly working ZBrush into my workflow.

But Zbrush has evolved into a program that can do just about anything you need to create a 3D model, high and low poly.
  • Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    You can use Zbrush for the entire modeling process at the beginning. Tools like Zspheres and Dynamesh allow you to ignore building a bash mesh and get straight to sculpting. Zbrush has retopo tools but they're a little bit lacking in my opinion. Getting a lowpoly/retopo may be easier in a different program.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So wait... do you want to work in games? I am confused.

IMO my advice:

- Learn Zbrush while using C4D. It's really hard to learn two programs/processes at once.
    - Once you have a grasp on ZB learn Max better. Just start doing your base/edits in there for ZB.

Almost no studios use C4D as far as I know. The ones that let you "pick" which program you use (to model) are few and far between. Especially now that software subscription packages are very common. Sure you "can" use ZB to do most of your modeling. But it's just not viable in a studio with other people quite yet.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Ok thanks for the answers so far, brings me further already.

Yes I want to work in games, but not as classical hard surface or character artist, but I want to be able to model properly.

Thing is I started really early with the matter and i learn really fast, also learned a lot about gamedesign aswell, and I worked really hard in my free time on all kinds of arts.
    Im team leader of a 12 people Team working on a UDK game, worked myself up that spot, and I find myself doing a lot of things, and I really enjoy that.

I want to go more into the promotional tree, doing graphics for presentations, web,
    box shots / cover art, Logos and beauty shots / offline rendering.
    Presentation and Promotional stuff is my thing, and I will master that
    Im sure there is maybe one spot for a similar artist in a team, but Im not worried about that.

I aim really high now, and I dont want to be the usual graphic-whatever artist, doing
    the usual stuff. I got so much input from so many sectors, product design, graphic design, typography, architecture, interface , UX (Really love that aswell) and whatnot, and I want to make good use of that. So I want to get my modeling to a level which is presentable, so I dont rely on models from others to make promotional renderings, I just want to be a as competent artist as possible.
    (And damn, i love texturing aswell, and theres so much more, I cant
    really explain my situation :/ )
    Also Im so far into photoshop now, that I can ignore that totally and move on
    to vectors and modeling.
    I know, focus on something is important, but so far Im really far ahead and I can
    still decide later, and I just work more so I get all the stuff done I want.

Probably want to work in a small team, where one person does many things, and I want to be the person people come to ask for assistance. I soak so much info up about all kinds of topics, check 10 design related pages every day, and do everything I can to be the best informed and capable person possible.

Im sure no game studios use C4D for their modeling, its standard for motion graphics in combination with after effects, but It has solid modeling, and uses the same formats, well I dont know. I did not really think about a software license barrier at companies, thats a good factor to count in, youre right.

Originally I wanted to become a game designer, put a lot of effort into
    that, but now arts caught me more and more, and now I have 2.5 years left
    to work on anything I want to specialize.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Option 2 is viable, you can create base meshes in Zbrush from either Zspheres or Dynamesh. However I'm not too familiar with how good Zbrush is at retopology, which you'll need to do once you're done with your high poly model.

I don't have enough experience with 3ds Max or Cinema 4D to make any suggestions. Based off of my very limited knowledge (so limited I feel like I'm pulling facts out of nowhere), game studios typically use 3ds Max or Maya. If you're planning to work as a freelancer or start your own studio, choice of program probably doesn't matter.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    hmm why you so angry on Max :D, I am in love with it since Startcraft 1 Animations.

Ok back to topic. I would recommend learning 3DS Max cause you will not be restricted to just game field but will have a solid chance to work as a side on Arch Vis projects (huge market in Middle East).

Woah your mind is going all over the place like me lol so keep it focus dude.

I would suggest Web Design (layouts only, but again its a vast subject area. Its not about just making cool design on web, lots of HCI, Usability stuff go into design for web).
    With 3DS Max, Vray, Photoshop, Zbrush, Illustrator, Aftereffects and UDK as your primary tools of trade!. As a bonus learn Encore too to make those promotional DVDs or Portfolio DVDs :)