Home General Discussion

Living comfortably in the Games Industry as an Artist? Possible?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
Hello everybody,

These is another one of these noobish threads, but this questions has been bothering me for quite some time. Of course there are tons of threads out there covering this but I feel that I haven't quit found the answer yet. I am wondering how the Game Industry is as a career path from an artists perspective. With that I don’t mean the experience but rather in terms of going up ranks and so on.

I would Imagine as one gets older one has a desire to have family and a stable life. Is it possible to raise kids and have a family while also living comfortably? Of course here I am referring to like Lead or Senor positions(I highly doubt that’s possible with a Junior paycheck). And even for Junior positions, can you live comfortably or do you have to worry about bringing food on the table every month or buying that awesome new videogame that just came out(even if you are single). Now, don’t get me wrong here money isn't everything and I would certainly still pursue this path if you would tell me that I need to beg for money on the side of the street in order to come through, because I just love making art so much, but I am still very curious and also kind of torn: Some people say yes and some people say you will need to collect pennies on the street.
I don’t want a number, I just want to know if you feel that you can live comfortably - in other words without having to worry about spending every single dime wisely and economical, allowing you to have fun with your friends outside work and most of all enjoying life without having that money always factor stabbing you in the back.

I know rising up the ranks mostly depends on ones skill and motivation, and its definitely my goal to become an Art Director one day or some sort of high position, in order to make that mad cash(do they make mad cash?) one day and of course primarily helping to create amazing games 

Anyways, thank you for reading and sorry for this noobish question :D

Cheers! :D

PS: sorry for grammar mistakes, was written on a smartphone :D

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not extremely uncomfortable discussing my salary, but I realize it's usually not considered in good taste -- at least in the US. Whatever the case:

I'm able to afford a car, an apartment, food, and everything that goes with having a girlfriend on a junior artist's salary in the San Francisco Bay area. This may or may not be viable in other areas or at different companies, but it's certainly doable given my current situation.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you live within your means, it is possible.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    The answer is absolutely yes.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    You have to define living comfortably. Do think you need to live in a gold palace and eat caviar every night?

Lamont says it best, just live within your means and you can certainly do it.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    The old phrase of 'starving artist' isn't necessarily true anymore. Game artists make a decent salary, good enough to live comfortably and afford a house, car, and raise a family. Certainly it depends on the location as does every job.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Sure is, although the rise in tuition being much faster than the rise in salaries makes you wonder sometimes...choose your education wisely!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    game developer does an annual salary survey that is pretty helpful. I've never felt particularly poor.

Back when I worked at my previous employer, there were a ton of families, and the studio was very family-centric - we had in-office trick or treats for the kids, etc. At my current employer, I think we have a few less families, but that's largely due to our recent growth leading to picking up more juniors, rather than a cultural thing - and I think we've got about as many families as any other average developer, and I think for the demographic you've probably got about as many families as any other industry.

The real issue with raising a family while working in the games industry is that the nature of the industry means that it is very possible to move for a job and not be able to stay in the area if you get laid off/fired. It is relatively hard to set down ties forever, which means you're likely to be uprooting your family at some point, or taking a job that is less than ideal to remain in the same location.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it is absolutely possible to have a career in game art and support a family - I have a wife and 3 kids and I'd like to think that I've always been able to provide for them in this industry. It's about skills, smart choices and a bit of good luck.

At this point I may even know more artists in the industry that have families then those that don't, or at least it's pretty close to even.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Course if you make bad choices and have bad luck you can end up trying to scratch a living out of cheap freelance gigs for indi titles and living on instant ramen.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    agree on the location thing, it doesn't really feel like salaries across the US really scale with the regional cost of living. I've found my dollar goes a lot farther in South Western US than it did in the North East.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure it is! Just make sure your significant other makes alot more than you!

In all seriousness it's really fine. I have never worried about money. I worry about my art more than money. I would be alot more happy if I didn't have student loans tho.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    for sure. Like Dinges said... I have 2 kids, a wife and we live in Santa Monica. Not a huge place but an amazing city, great school systems and we are doing good.

Just like others have said. The key to anything, any job is to live within your means...
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    nyx702 wrote: »
    Sure it is! Just make sure your significant other makes alot more than you!

A second income from being in a serious relationship really helps.

Before we had a baby, and the wife was working, money was looking pretty good. But since having a kid, and my wife now having no job, things are very tight being a single income family. It doesn't help that I live in extremely expensive London. Hmmmf. I need a raise...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Fomori wrote: »

Before we had a baby, and the wife was working, money was looking pretty good. But since having a kid, and my wife now having no job, things are very tight being a single income family. It doesn't help that I live in extremely expensive London. Hmmmf. I need a raise...

Amen brother, damn hard making a living here XO

Yes its definitely possible to live comfortably if you're good at what you do :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It also depends on where you get hired too, obviously. You can be the greatest artist around but if you only work at small start ups the odds are you'll be living paycheck to paycheck. BUT get hired at a solid studio that pays well and it's absolutely possible to live more than comfortably.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks everybody :D You have helped me alot :)
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Yes it is. The game industry has allowed me to buy a house get married and have my wife stay home and raise our son. The hardest parts are the times between jobs. Like everyone has been saying, live within your means and have a budget and savings for the down time.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Fomori wrote: »

Agreed, don't know what it is about London and the southeast that sucks up so much cash, I'm looking for freelance work just to make ends meet :(
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    seth. wrote: »
    Agreed, don't know what it is about London and the southeast that sucks up so much cash, I'm looking for freelance work just to make ends meet :(

This is why I'm too scared to even apply around down south... I visited my friend in Guildford and his flat is half the size of mine for £200 more a month.. I hope you find some awesome freelance though dude ;)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    well in montreal, living isn't too expensive, you can have an apartment for 500-800$/month and with an average salary have 2-3k income. So it balances quite well.

the hardest part is landing that 1st job, then, luck and hard work will help you keep it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    wizo wrote: »
    well in montreal, living isn't too expensive, you can have an apartment for 500-800$/month

that's almost cheaper than in Shanghai...
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    London... sigh

I have come to the conclusion that as a single guy living in London and working as a lowly artist in the games industry won`t afford you to live comfortably. And by comfortably I mean having your on space(one bedroom apartment in a decent area) while trying to save money for the future(mortgage, pension etc.) Renting is just way too expensive here.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had friends who worked at EA in California and ... yeah. Basically, 3 of them shared an apartment and they were barely eating after paying the rent. And this was on a salary that would have afforded them a good living anywhere else.

So location matters ... A LOT!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    wizo wrote: »
    an average salary have 2-3k income.

Is that before or after tax?
    I'm still considering a move to Canada...
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Kwramm wrote: »
    that's almost cheaper than in Shanghai...

Well you won't be downtown in a 4 1/2 at that price :)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I had friends who worked at EA in California and ... yeah. Basically, 3 of them shared an apartment and they were barely eating after paying the rent. And this was on a salary that would have afforded them a good living anywhere else.

So location matters ... A LOT!

Damn wherever they were living that 3 people full-time employed couldnt afford a place is absurd. I've lived in LA and the Bay Area in California and I've been able to live by myself somewhat comfortably whether I was a student living off of very limited income from loans or working full time. Like any expensive area, don't rely on craigslist 100%, the best and cheapest places I've found for rent was just me driving or walking around neighborhoods. Also helps you get a good feel for the area you'll be living in.

That being said, California in general is an expensive place to live in comparison to many other states but if the company you're working for is decent the salary will be comparably higher to those of other states as well.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was years ago so I can't really recall at this point ... all I remember was his constant bitching about making rent, sort of eating, and that was about all they did. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    In Austin I'm seeing houses that would typically go for $1.5 Million in the North East selling for $175k, it's amazeballs
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its a business, you have to treat it as such. The plus side its that it is a very fullfilling business :)
  • Gyrz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to ask professionals here. Do you think that, i got interest in animation ( that is what i want to be) either in games or movies, but prefer games, in wrong time? All i read is that, every studio is falling apart,

I don't want to give up on this, well every industry is bad. Should i stick to it? Do you think in future, will be better place to work or worst?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gyrz wrote: »
    I want to ask professionals here. Do you think that, i got interest in animation ( that is what i want to be) either in games or movies, but prefer games, in wrong time? All i read is that, every studio is falling apart,

I don't want to give up on this, well every industry is bad. Should i stick to it? Do you think in future, will be better place to work or worst?

Where do you live? How old are you? How long have you been working on your portfolio?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You should not be paid below $40k a year for your first full-time artist job. If you are, do not take that job. $40k a year is definitely doable for "comfortable" living. Go to glassdoor.com and you can see what some people and put in for their salaries at certain companies.

Also, this:
    http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/1108/game_developer_salary_survey_2012.php

Between 3-6 years your salary should be in the $60-$80k range. After 6 years, you should be in a very strong senior position that will pay over $80k. Lead positions will typically pay close or over $100k. These are for large AAA studios, mind you.

Honestly, my only financial "worry" is student loans. Once those are paid off I'll be "rich"!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    This industry has provided me with an awesome life over the past 9 or 10 years. Early on in my freelance career there were a few times where I honestly did not know where my next rent payment was coming from so it was pretty stressful earlier on. But a few years of extreme work really paid off for me - after those few years I was able to pull back and reap the rewards.

My wife and I have been able to live in some really nice places, ( Riverside apartments / inner city high rises ) drive nice cars - eat great food, and travel a lot and hopefully weel be able to buy our first home soon. If that's the kind of thing that you think qualifies for a comfortable life - then its absolutely possible.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haiasi wrote: »
    You should not be paid below $40k a year for your first full-time artist job. If you are, do not take that job.

I don't know if I totally agree with this. Sure. You "should" be paid that. But if the choice is not having a job and having one below 40k I would say that getting your foot in the door is worth the low wage. I don't have alot to back this up but I would say that there are a few small/medium studios that offer less than 40k. After a year or so start looking for another job that pays more.

Now if you have some XP and are awesome then that is a totally different story...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Or learn to negotiate. You have very little to negotiate with when you're starting out, but good negotiation will usually boost an initial offer by about 10% at the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXXLKkEyPQ
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Don't get me wrong, but i think your dad may have the answer.

If you don't mind living as a Nomad,go foward. This is industry is not for all people, you must love what you do, for real, and like too many of us say: "to live for the work". You will not care to share a flat with 5 colleages being young :).
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I know many people who're not nomads. Although most of them went through some difficult times between jobs in order to stay where they were living. But that comes with having a very specialized job. If you're an archaeologist you'll probably have the same problem - you'll just have to move where the jobs are. If you don't like that, study accounting or go freelance.

Living for work... yeah. well. live for what you love doing, but don't equate work with job.