Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Penguin Sculpt

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
Heh, not exactly digital, but I needed to make a 3D sculpt for a portfolio for post secondary, so here it is:

cZo16Gwh.jpg
Cwjg28Qh.jpg
DdoDTfuh.jpg
cFMy079h.jpg
3jgcort.jpg
pYxobSth.jpg
wDiLIDPh.jpg

Replies

• jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Interesting idea for the subject. I like the shots with the background elements. I assume you sculpted the guy pretty small? I remember details being very challenging on smaller sculpts.

What kind of clay are you using? It's been awhile since I did any traditional sculpture, but if you're using some kind of sculpy, you could 'bake' the individual armor pieces on the fly with a heat gun to keep the parts more crisp and defined. Along those same lines, using a glass bead can work well for the eyeball.
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins wrote: »
    Interesting idea for the subject. I like the shots with the background elements. I assume you sculpted the guy pretty small? I remember details being very challenging on smaller sculpts.

What kind of clay are you using? It's been awhile since I did any traditional sculpture, but if you're using some kind of sculpy, you could 'bake' the individual armor pieces on the fly with a heat gun to keep the parts more crisp and defined. Along those same lines, using a glass bead can work well for the eyeball.

Its made with FIMO clay - I'm not really that happy with it since it got all warped when I baked it in the oven. Also, its really small, like the height of a mug.

I'm actually not that happy with the details either, its really messy. In person the actual forms look great from the back, you can see his full suit of sci fi armor. Also, I realize the anatomy of a penguin isnt really present, and thats due to the fact that it wasnt supposed to be one originally. Its hard when you have no alphas or special brushes to help detail it too - I had to use tweezers and tooth pics and screwdrivers to create little things. That heatgun method sounds absolutely awesome.

I started out with just using a really sharp scapula knife to cut out the forms, but its very muddy because I had kept on adjusting proportions. I may try this again in the future since it was fun, but its such a mess in comparison to doing it digitally - plus I can't texture this thing ahhaha.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Its made with FIMO clay - I'm not really that happy with it since it got all warped when I baked it in the oven. Also, its really small, like the height of a mug.

I'm actually not that happy with the details either, its really messy. In person the actual forms look great from the back, you can see his full suit of sci fi armor. Also, I realize the anatomy of a penguin isnt really present, and thats due to the fact that it wasnt supposed to be one originally. Its hard when you have no alphas or special brushes to help detail it too - I had to use tweezers and tooth pics and screwdrivers to create little things. That heatgun method sounds absolutely awesome.

I started out with just using a really sharp scapula knife to cut out the forms, but its very muddy because I had kept on adjusting proportions. I may try this again in the future since it was fun, but its such a mess in comparison to doing it digitally - plus I can't texture this thing ahhaha.
    Unwrap it and bake the normals now. Can't crit until you do that.
  • Brandon Kern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwrap it and bake the normals now. Can't crit until you do that.

but its like 34 million polies and i sculpted it in mudbox. im gonna go bake my normal map in microsoft paint... brb.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    but its like 34 million polies and i sculpted it in mudbox. im gonna go bake my normal map in microsoft paint... brb.

I'd reccomend making sure you have all your vertices parralaxed and your surface tension cascaded for the cleanest bake possible. Try using poliginal dither in zbox too for super detail mode.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator

I'd recommend a combination of Super Sculpey and/or Sculpey Firm if you want to tackle something like this again. Sculpey

Good technique/tools info here: Link

And hey, if you like the results you could always throw it in a 3D scanner, retop and go from there.

This makes me want to try my hand at traditional sculpture again, but I know I'll miss symmetry, alphas and all the other advantages of digital as soon as I start.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    For small sculpts, greenstuff is a must. Back in my warhammer haydays, greenstuff was da bomb. Mix with a little brown stuff for a firmer feel. Yellow is soft, blue is hard, mix the two appropriately for the type of sculpt.

Your penguin right now is looking pretty lumpy, get in there with some of that greenstuff and a toothpick to pick out those details better ^_^