Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final university project - Tudor sci-fi slum...

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
A few others from my uni have started threads, so I thought I'd get one going so I can receive more feedback.

Working on a tudor style slum set in some gritty sci-fi city lol. I was initially inspired by this picture

GUQLTAl.jpg

however I decided to take it in my own direction. The scene will be centred around a blacksmiths, with the surrounding buildings towering unnaturally around it. I really want to exaggerate the tiered building method and create building a lot more unstable looking. The viewer of the environment will able to walk round the court yard in front and into the ground floor of the workshop.

My dissertation focus is on creating realistic looking materials from high poly source models. This means extensive work using spec/gloss, DX11 effects, and general texturing and sculpting practices. As of right now all the textures are super rushed as you'll find out why below.

Currently I'm blocking out. The little details look way more refined that what a block out should be, I was forced to push some art out during a selection process to show off the project to industry. However I can worry less about this now and get on with finalising the actual layout of my scene. I have tons of sketches, I just haven't had time to implement them yet.

Here are some images from the past week of working, although the scene is pretty much just me messing around atm ^_^

4SvZKGL.jpg

wGSf6eW.jpg

5qF94cK.jpg

JsEUnr3.jpg

4CZvmje.jpg

4A6Xms5.jpg

Strong critiques welcomed :)

Replies

• _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what, AWESOME five stars from me ★★★★★
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those buildings are looking nice
  • Lloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick concept. This is looking great! I really like the background in the concept. Are you planning on making those meshes? Maybe with some animated airships?
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks really good until now :D
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Cool! What are your techniques for removing the lighting from a photo source if you don't mind me asking?
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, great post :) Can't wait to see more!
  • GrimFiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really nice so far but looks more Tudor than sci-fi =P Since its a slum I'd like to see more patches of 'sci-fi' looking pieces on the buildings like its been made out of old parts to give it that shanty look. I'd say that the protruding roof needs arched support beams and need to be a little thicker. I wouldn't worry about lighter or anything else for that matter, get the block out done and then start developing the scene further starting with the largest objects and then gradually working down the fine detail. Its good to have a focal point in the scene which really gives off the flavour and atmosphere of the whole scene and that should be your reference point. Build that small point up and refer back to it.

Overall it's looking really nice, can't wait to see more. =)
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Usually when you think sci-fi it's concrete and metal not wood haha. Your models still look awesome and they would go well in a fantasy game. As for your concept.... I hate myself.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    nice work, can't wait to see more ...I got a little question, I'm currently working on a scene and I was wondering how will you do your electric wire ? I dunno if there is any tricks to be more conveniant than taking a plane and putting an alpha for the cable itself. Real geo !? no i don't think so, too expensive and i'm sure it will be jaggy with all those segments.

Gimme your thought on this A+ work
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo peeps, not much of an update, but I've been doing other modules/procrastinating for the past few weeks :/ trying to pick it back up but my brains hurting from juggling so many different pieces of work in my head at once. I keep ranting about it but we're being made to do 4 totally different modules at the same time, plus I've got some things going on outside of uni. Just seems like they want to make everyone depressed! Anyway, enough blogging...

Here's and update on the scene, basically just got a new floor mesh in and put a temp cobble texture on it, I plan to mesh paint heaps of hey and puddles and mud into it if I have time. That ugly 90° angle will have a stone wall covering it I think.

l6fu7tI.jpg

PTcybTB.jpg

bonus images from another module (not accurately modelled to a ref, I know :P)

p294FmC.jpg
    wfYqwhL.jpg

Spudnik : Pretty simple, I took a texture of a wooden wall, selected all the gaps where the shadows lay and deleted them, this gives you an option to use the content aware tool, which works pretty nicely. Then if there's any more errors, touch up with the clone stamp or spot healing etc.

Lloth : yes I really want to get that cool sense of scale thats in the concept, I have added some background stuff but I'll show it next update!

GrimFiction : Yeh I wanted a lot of the main arcitechture to be more tudor looking, with only small details, props, and the background going down the sci-fi route. I like the patched together idea you mentioned though, so I'll be playing around with that more soon ^_^

djoexe hmmm, I think ill arrange the scene in max using the building models and since my units are scaled the same I should be able to match the cables between them..if that makes sense :P

Cheers!
  • PaulH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulH polycounter lvl 7
    "we're being made to do 4 totally different modules at the same time"

WORD

Looking good man!
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff. taken a break to actually do some writing and nursing a sprained ankle.

bbpg2WY.jpg

7XpASMX.jpg

HgiqB4W.jpg

Jz9J07P.jpg

Still stupidly rough at this stage, but I'll learn not to make something so big next time haha:poly122: Havent touched the lighting or post processing yet really so I need to leave time for that, which is part of the reason I nuked the interior section.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't much difference among your brick, street, and sidewalk textures. Gray cobblestones would probably work best for the street.

Space was at a premium in older towns; any free space would, at the least, be filled with booths, or even un-official buildings.

Chimneys were large and often ornate in Tudor-era buildings.
    our-street-houses-tudor.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker : Hey man thanks for the feedback. I agree with you about the colours of everything, it looks like everything blends together in an ugly mess of brown, with barely any difference in material. I'll definitely be trying to fix that, I think when I have the landscape finished it will help that those ugly block out walls aren't sitting there. Hopefully the scene should start looking much busier soon, I'm planning on getting lamp posts and wiring boxes everywhere soon...its just lots to do haha...

Here's a sculpt and some a screenshot.

AF1JAIq.jpg
    4d1ACkH.jpg
    wC7zHky.jpg
  • mr grimm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr grimm polycounter lvl 9
    Really digging those textures man. Great work
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr grimm thanks.

Slight update. Played around with the lighting and I'm pretty set on this being my favorite beauty shot location. I need to replace a couple of buildings and start to ramp up production of props. For the sci-fi stuff I'm gonna go for some super clean and smooth forerunner type things, which should hopefully contrast the scene quite nicely...we'll see :P

gjp7SRI.jpg
    kXDQeC9.jpg
    LnAMUbF.jpg
    aBgQSbS.jpg?1
  • 3deffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really good update good work mate
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    I really like your sculpts!

Noob question: last screen is rough screen from engine? It's looking really nice!
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thats a screenshot straight from UDK man.

Paintover...
    Y9VSMJm.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Dammn dude, looking tastey :D

Are you getting some vertex painting into those road/path slabs to break them up, they look really repetative at the moment.
    The window shutters are <3

How much you got left to do? Paintover should help with some scene noise, especially the pilons.
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers Shiv!, lol at the moment the curb texture is ripped from epic citadel while i was blocking out the environment...I will replace them with some sculpted texture hopefully. The ground has vertex paint on between cobble and dirt, but they are super similar colours so I'll have to tweak that a bit. I also wanted to get some puddles painted in so I'll give that a go too!

Moar update...totaly project fatigue at the moment.
    gmE5XPS.jpg
    OIttGaN.jpg
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I handed into uni. Also had an interview with Ubisoft Reflections on wednesday, they said they liked it and had some great critiques for me, which I shall work on once my dissertation is done. Now I just have to wait to hear back about the internship they were offering...

905SEf1.jpg
    9lO4APg.jpg
    HH9x9VM.jpg
    jawkh2J.jpg
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking awesome, great progress
    Only thing I would say is the roofs are looking kind of flat. There's a neat trick for that on the wiki; http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Modular_MountBladeMod_02.jpg

Keep it up!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The video displays contrast rather heavily with the rest of the scene. Perhaps replacing the blueish tint with a yellowish/brownish one would allow them to blend more naturally with the scene.

The curb seems unnaturally straight, and there appears to be some serious texture stretching on the side of the curb.