Home Technical Talk

3D Studio Max - Show End Result Sluggish

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Three65 polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone,
I am currently working on a model that I have two modifers on 1 being symmetry and the other being Turbosmooth with 3 iterations and isoline display is selected. It was working great but now it seems really sluggish, such as when I toggle on Show End Result and try to work it seems like it takes 5~10 seconds for the command to go through, really a pain in the but when trying to push verts around. Is there something I can do to increase the performance? I would think my machine should be able to handle this since I am running a 3960X OC to 4.7Ghz along with 64GB of RAM and a GTX570 OC to 950Mhz. Just seems like 3DS isn't taking full advantage of the hardware. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the insight.

Replies

• Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: lol I just turned off the symmetry modifier in the stack and its pretty smooth, however if there is still something I can do to increase the performance and be able to use the symmetry I would love to find out about it.
  • codyaq2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth
    Duplicate it as an instance and mirror it.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    How much polys you got here before and after the turbosmooth ?
    3 Iterations of Turbosmooth seems unnecessary high

I hope you got the symmetry modifier BELOW the turbosmooth ?

If you want to keep that iteration count, simply work with less in the viewport ( there are specific iteration settings for rendering and for viewport ) and higher for the render in the turbosmooth rollout
    And don't forget that you can set modifiers to be off in viewport only too, but as it sounds you would like to always have your torbosmoothed object visible ?
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually think the symmetry modifier is above the turbosmooth, I will double check and see. I didn't know that the order made that big of a difference, but ill check and see. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it and will give them all a try.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I'd suggest using nurms for smoothing personally. I find it easier to work with in most situations, not all, but a lot. Isoline turbosmooth doesn't collapse well with a lot of modifiers (bend mostly), and will give you issues.

Just my opinion anyways.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need the sym below the smooth, thats whats up
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Three65 wrote: »
    I actually think the symmetry modifier is above the turbosmooth, I will double check and see. I didn't know that the order made that big of a difference, but ill check and see. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it and will give them all a try.

don't forget that the modifier stack is processed from the bottom up
    So symmetry mirrors all geometry and even does a weld/slice pass along the symmetry plane. So if you got the symmetry modifier ABOVE the turbosmooth, it has a LOT more geometry to bite through than when it's below the turbosmooth...
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help Spacefrog, that was in fact the problem I moved the Symmetry modifier below the turbosmooth and it runs like a champ now. I have learned something new, so thank you for sharing that info with me I am very greatful :)