Home General Discussion

Razer Edge Pro Gaming Tablet anyone?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings;

I just found this out today and searched for its review on Polycount but surprisingly there wasn't any thread dedicated to it.:poly122:

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-edge-pro

I was actually waiting for the switchblade they are still working but I guess this one seems legit.

Is anyone using this tablet for gaming?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's interesting for sure. I think for that price, they should have included some of the controls. In fact, I think they should include the gamesticks and keyboard mount to justify that price. You can get equivalently powered tablets from other vendors cheaper than this, so I don't see how they justify the price with the lack of included options.
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    the words "pro gaming" and "tablet" in the same sentence just sounds odd to me. If you want a super competitive gaming experience, I can't think of using anything other than a desktop.

It is an impressive piece of hardware based on the specs. I don't know that I could justify the price though.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You can get equivalently powered tablets from other vendors cheaper than this, so I don't see how they justify the price wi

I dont see any other tablet with a separate gpu. There is no equivalent afaik.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from their one good example (Civ V) there aren't a whole lot of games that can be played well without a mouse that aren't specifically designed for touchscreens.

People who try to bridge the mobile/pc gap always run into the same problem, when you start having to buy mice, controllers, keyboards and other shit that make it more usable, at the same time it makes it less mobile. At which point you have wonder why even buy it in the first place when you could get a much better notebook for the same price.

I really can't imagine this product doing anything but crashing and burning but then I lost all faith in Razer when they started putting your mouse settings online in a cloud service and requiring you to register and log in to set up your buttons.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    any reason they have the Isle of Man flag as their logo?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »

here we go, lets discuss that instead of actual tablet :D.

Isnt Isle of men have a three legged logo?

EDIT: I wanted to get the review of this before I would buy it. I am just looking for anything that I can take it anywhere for games and CG works.

I felt this was a good thing to share especially here since many of us would like to do CG on the fly. (I know I do feel like doing it sometimes while not at home sitting in front of my work station.)

It is by Razer so assume the tablet that is presented is it. you have to pay extra $200.00 to buy the keyboard $50.00+ for the mouse, and other stuff.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Wait. What? Why would anyone buy something like this?

If you get the urge to do CG stuff while you're away from your workstation, it may be time to reevaluate your relationship with your work.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    Wait. What? Why would anyone buy something like this?

If you get the urge to do CG stuff while you're away from your workstation, it may be time to reevaluate your relationship with your work.

Work station at home, lad, not at work. As in; I call it a work station because the desktop hooked with tablet and all of my 2d and 3d art is saved there including traditional sketches and all there fore; work station.

Anyways stick to the topic please.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    My reading comprehension is not off. What I said still stands.

It may be your workstation at home, but you still do work on it. Unless you call what you do on it "playing" or something else.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I would have to agree that its not that useful for content creation. If you plan on sticking it in one spot, then get a cheaper more powerful workstation.

On the go.
    A: No pressure sensitivity. So you still have to drag your drawing tablet along. Even if you do just modeling or level design layout, you will need to drag a keyboard along.
    B: 8 gigs is really not that much if you are multitasking.

A better option is a full notebook. If you are sketching or sculpting , then a tablet with stylus input.
    If it has pressure sensitivity, then I could see it being useful. Without??? Next!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    My reading comprehension is not off. What I said still stands.

It may be your workstation at home, but you still do work on it. Unless you call what you do on it "playing" or something else.

For that I have another pc and playstation. Your comprehension was off but you wont admit it due to your pride. So ill do the honors and stick to the topic since you cant do that either.

I dont usually make threads like these unless I would like some review regarding such things. If you dont have anything better to say, please do not say anything.

@oxy: good post sir. I am still looking for a portable tablet for games as well as random sketches or sculpting that does not requre me to stay at one place. Anything that can read stylus or touch screen would do. This one seemed legit to me so I posted here to see what people may say about this. As for the price I cant say.

Ill keep looking but if I dont find a legit portable tablet that can read stylus I might just buy ipad or this.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    hawken wrote: »

Yeah, it's a bit strange isn't it.

As for the tablet, if that's what it's supposed to be - what a waste of money.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I'm waiting for reviews on the Surface Pro (though 4 gigs of Ram is not much)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    kachiiing... thats what this is all about.. what a load of rubbish
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    kachiiing... thats what this is all about.. what a load of rubbish

I was actually going to say that I've seen you guys playing COD on PSP vita, Tample run 1 and 2 and angry birds on Iphone while going to work in the subway while making such weird noises and yet you reject the idea of tablet being used as a gaming console.

But then again, you guys are right for the fact that it is over priced.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    cptSwing wrote: »
    I'm waiting for reviews on the Surface Pro (though 4 gigs of Ram is not much)

Already have one. No pressure sensitivity atm for most major art apps, microsoft and wacom are having a bout regarding wintab drivers, though they say they are working on it. If they do get it resolved that means 1024 levels of pressure on a high pixel density display, though only about 10 inches long.

I did some basic 3d work flow and sculpting seemed fine (minus the pen pressure)...it certainly is functional though certainly not a replacement for a good ol high powered desktop.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the insight - shame most developers including MS seem to have been caught off guard when people actually ask for working drivers.

How does the smallish screen size work out for you? And have you run any of the 'big' programs on it such as Max or Photoshop? Looking to get one somewhere down the line, so any information would be great.