Home General Discussion

[Kickstarter] Better Things: The Life and Choices of Jeffrey Catherine Jones

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
Fundraiser page: http://www.indiegogo.com/BetterThings
Trailer: http://vimeo.com/57112726

Jones1.jpg

Not sure how much interest there is on here for documentaries about traditional artists, but I'll just put this up here. As far as I can tell, it's Jeff Jones' story told through conversations with his peers over the years...Rick Berry, Neil Gaiman, Paul Pope, Dave McKean, Moebius, Mike Mignola, Rebecca Guay... to name a few.

The film's done and basically just needs funding to repay production costs and take care of distribution, so there's nothing to lose by backing it. The swag tiers are kind of weak imo, but it would be a shame if this film didn't see the light of day.

Replies

• rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    damn I want peers like that..

EDIT

On another note distribution on a film like this is hard, a very niche market, it would be interesting to see what kind of deal they are trying to get.

Biopics themselves have limited interest from the public and ones about artists even less so.

Distributors are a bunch of dicks and cunts.. seriously.. criteria they use for selection on what to distribute is disgraceful, they bemoan the demise of thier business because of the internet and wonder why.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    For my money, Jeff Jones is one of the most amazing artists of the 20th century (of our time actually, he's still alive). He's right up there with Frazetta. I remember hearing about this movie years ago. It's supposed to be like Painting With Fire was, but for Jeff Jones. I'm happy to see it finally getting properly made.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd pay $20 for a digital copy of the movie, but $40 for a dvd is a bit much. I hate the gimmicky items they are giving out, they should of just done prints of some art.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZD I thought that too, with such a volume of work .. transparent suitcase.. umm nah...
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Jeff Jones was definitely up there with the likes of Frazetta. Jones passed away in 2011 though. This doc looks like it's packed with intimate conversations with her in the last years of her life. There's even footage of Moebius in there painting on a Cintiq.

Distribution wise...this film's definitely niche. I don't think they're shooting for mainstream distribution though, maybe festival circulation and smaller theaters to start with. ZacD's right though, digital distribution would've been the way to go. And all tiers should come with a copy of the video!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed with ZacD there. Doing a digital distribution would add a lot more sales. Never heard of the artist but his/her artwork sure looks amazing. The trailer didn't tell much about the film. Sorry if I missed it in the description or anything but I'm not really interested if it's just someone talking about their life, as all great artists has/had different paths, although maybe there's something insightful to gain, I don't know...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm Digital copies for the kickstarter wont work.. its because of the contract, the distributor will specify what medium and territory and for a film like this it will be world wide or US andrest of the world if theres 2 distributors. This makes electronic distribution over the net impossible. They even state physical copy of the DVD.

Kinda sad this needs help to cross the line.. I wonder if they tried to get distribution before they made it, they must have and I bet the response was poor.

They are only struggling because theres no mainstream big name celeb being interviewed..

They shouldnt actually bother with a small theatrical release, its very expensive to do, and a great excuse for the distributor to pay them fuck all even if there is a moderate amount of sucess..

straight to DVD is the best route and electronic after a couple of years
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out some of the preview clips under the video section-
    http://www.indiegogo.com/BetterThings?c=gallery

A lot of the time it's artists who are considered greats of our time not talking about Jeff Jones but about their stances on art in general.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd pay $20 for a digital copy of the movie, but $40 for a dvd is a bit much. I hate the gimmicky items they are giving out, they should of just done prints of some art.

This is the problem with crowdfunding today. People are just using it as a new means of acquiring and consuming a product and treating it as a preorder - which is just damaging to the whole point of crowdfunding.

It's $40 because you're investing into a product. You can't just sell things, you need capital to actually develop with too.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Investing in a product normally means getting a return in your investment because you are taking a risk and are waiting for the payoff. If I'm going to give money to something I expect getting a little bit extra in return over a later consumer because I did help fund the project. And something I'd actually like, not a key chain or pencil sharpener. Digital downloads are cheap and doesn't take much effort, unlike shipping out dvd's. And many people prefer digital downloads, particularly the type of people that would invest in an online crowd funding project. If they can get over twice as many people to donate $20 and give them digital downloads, what is the harm? Selling a digital copy of a movie for $20 is a huge profit margin. There's full movies you can buy for $10 and download and stream them multiple times. I wouldn't be surprised if $20 digital downloads had a bigger profit margin than a $40 dvd.

I'd be fine investing $1000 in a game I believe in if I get a cut of the profit. With kickstarter funders are taking a lot of risk and waiting a lot of time, for a little perk. I guess you can say that they made the product happen and it wouldn't exist otherwise. But as a content creator I'd still like to reward people that helped make a dream happen.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Investing in a product normally means getting a return in your investment because you are taking a risk and are waiting for the payoff.
    Your return is that it gets made where otherwise it wouldn't.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Your return is that it gets made where otherwise it wouldn't.

I already responded to that
    With kickstarter funders, they are taking a lot of risk and waiting a lot of time, for a little perk. I guess you can say that they made the product happen and it wouldn't exist otherwise. But as a content creator I'd still like to reward people that helped make a dream happen.

It's more of a thank you than anything and makes you feel respected and valued as an investor.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies, I jumped the gun. I just see that argument a lot from people who, for whatever reason, rage against KickStarter. "An investment requires a return!" It just rubs me the wrong way so ... sorry. :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't be surprised if $20 digital downloads had a bigger profit margin than a $40 dvd.

The problem is that you're talking it up as profit, but there is no profit until a product sees the end of development and makes it to shelves. Those margins are not profit margins, they are the margins that fund the project. Without them, a project that needs crowdfunding simply cannot survive. This is the intent behind crowdfunds.

Projects without these kinds of margins are usually just there to abuse the system because it generates more publicity and offers presale options. Some of the non-videogame ones I've encountered have been in some cases, outright scams (and they've been funded).

In an ideal situation, people need to be more selective about what they fund and developers need to start asking whether they actually need to use a crowdfund or whether they are just profiteering on a current trend.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel crowd funding is 10x better than traditional funding and publisher routes for the content creator. They don't owe anyone anything, besides the perks, and if it's digital, it really is nothing. They don't have anyone breathing down their neck or trying to change the product, or telling them what to do. After actually releasing the product, they already have a bunch of fans. And the biggest thing, any additional sales avoids any big cuts that would normally go to investors or publishers.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the biggest thing, any additional sales avoids any big cuts that would normally go to investors or publishers.

Crowdfunding should not be viewed as a presale, because it isn't -and if it is it's abuse of the system.

WHARGARBL
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    Crowdfunding should not be viewed as a presale, because it isn't -and if it is it's abuse of the system.

WHARGARBL

So what is it then? People who just have too much money and want to get rid of it?

If you're paying for something, you should get something back. That your reward is that the project gets made is cute, but it's not really anything substantial. It basically means that you paid $X and your reward is to be able to spend $X+Y dollars later. So in essence you'd be worse off than someone who doesn't participate and just waits to buy it when it releases. This doesn't make any sense.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's that attitude that's starting to allow you to be played like chumps by people willing to subvert the intention of the system.

The original intention behind crowd funding is to enable a creator to pitch a project that would otherwise not see the light of day. The funds are intended to develop the project to a releasable standard. If a potential backer is passionate about the product, then they will back it, justifying the crowd fund. An excellent example of this is Iron Sky, where many people donated considerable sums of moeny because they were passionate about the promised end product.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    It basically means that you paid $X and your reward is to be able to spend $X+Y dollars later. So in essence you'd be worse off than someone who doesn't participate and just waits to buy it when it releases. This doesn't make any sense.

This is why the result usually offers the backer a copy of the product at a suitable minimum bid, but the system still allows a backer to donate/invest more into the scheme. You don't get nothing, you usually get the product you backed, because this is common sense. In any case, the person who just waits to buy it will lose out if the project is never funded at all.

The aforementioned original intention is being subverted by people coming to sites like Kickstarter with a finished product. Your attitude that you must be intrinsically compensated for your investment is easily exploited; you're offered the ability to back a product and there are plenty of rewards offered at increasingly great tiers. The reality is that the developer doesn't need your investment and that any additional cash you throw into those tier rewards (or through generosity) is simply being pocketed.

I don't have a great case study to hand, but this is a reasonable one (I suspect unintentionally rather than through outright greed) - Chivalry:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1711512107/chivalry-medieval-warfare?ref=category

My intention isn't to pick on them, but instead to highlight the trend.

The fund finished in mid-September and raised some $80,000 with an average backing of $45 - so let's look at the $50 tier as an example.

$50 gets you beta access, 'exclusive media reveals', a digital copy of the game and a digital copy of the soundtrack. Given that the game launched three weeks after the kickstarter fund, there can't have been much of a beta - the game was already in a finished state. Exclusive media reveals is what - a few screenshots or a youtube video sent out to you via e-mail or a similar distribution channel. The soundtrack is nice, but really only costs a little bandwidth assuming it isn't hosted for free.

So the average backer paid $50 for a game that retailed at $25, and the associated extra perks. The perks cost the developer almost nothing to deliver. The game released three weeks later, so where was the value of that cash going? It didn't pay for development and it didn't pay for the perks - the backer got played and the cash when straight into pockets. It's funny, because if you paid double the retail price of an AAA title for a special edition, and didn't get anything of value, you'd complain.

The point is, is that the presale was unnecessary. Chivalry used it as an advertising platform and fair play to them, because people will actually use it. The other point is they generated more profits than they otherwise would have done through selling the game to those 2000 people outright - which is hilarious because most of them came in with your X+Y attitude, and realistically came out of it with X-Y instead. They lost out and didn't even realise it because they were too concerned about getting the apparent rewards, which held no real value.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    So expecting a reward is bad because it encourages potential exploitation? Is that your whole problem with kickstarter and how crowd funding being used?

Most of the physical products (I'd include movies) on kickstarter are fully realized and just need investment in order to get reasonably priced products out to consumers without having to get traditional investors or taking out loans. If its a gadget, there's a fully working prototype, but they can't mass produce them without "presales". With this movie it's already done and in film festivals, they just need to repay crew and editors, and money to get the dvd's made. There's also the CreatureBox: THE MONSTER VOLUME book that's a good example of having an almost finished product but they don't have a way to get it to consumers without a "presale"

What Chivalry pulled was shitty because they didn't need funding to finish a product and didn't need money to help deliver it to consumers.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So expecting a reward is bad because it encourages potential exploitation? Is that your whole problem with kickstarter and how crowd funding being used?

No; treating Kickstarter as a presale platform is the issue and backing purely for the return is - because that's what encourages this:
    What Chivalry pulled was shitty because they didn't need funding to finish a product and didn't need money to help deliver it to consumers.

This is my point. People need to be more selective and realise that this is supposed to be an investment platform, not a pre-order store.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    To be honest a preorder platform seems like a completely valid, if not, best use for how kick starter is setup. It benefits the creator and consumer. Maybe they should have different types of kick starter campaign types.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did the above example (Chivalry) benefit the consumer? It may have benefited Chivalry by lining their pockets, but that does mean it also detracted funds from projects that actually required funding.