Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate House Scene (Artyom Vlaskin concept)

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting on Polycount - though I've followed several threads and learned a lot from the community. I've been building up my portfolio and wanted to add a piece that was somewhat more stylized to the mix.

I am working from this original concept by Artyom Vlaskin:

800x718_9468_Pirates_house1_2d_architecture_fantasy_pirate_house_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

My goal was to do something bright, colorful, and almost more cartoony or stylized than I normally do. I'd like to focus on hand-painted textures and game res models. I intend to build it out in UDK with a primary focus on the building itself, but a bit of additional work on the scene around it (dock, trees, beach, ocean) to flesh out the space.

I've started with a color paint-over of the original concept:

PirateHouseColor1.jpg

I'll be updating regularly, trying to force myself to stay productive by posting here. I'd love any and all feedback the community is willing to offer!

Thanks!

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    His original concept is awesome and I think your color paint over compliments it perfectly. I'm looking forward to seeing it in 3d.
  • legacyofpiracy
    Hello Again!

Just checking in with some progress on my scene. I've modeled out most of the house and surrounding dock, and I was hoping to get some feedback on it before getting too far into the unwrap. I've definitely found it to be a very complex shape and I've had to make a few adjustments from the concept. Since the concept didn't really give a sense of the back of the house I had to kinda make up a lot of that geometry - I added in a little balcony and some windows to flesh it out a bit.

PirateHouseModel1.jpg

PirateHouseModel1back.jpg

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • legacyofpiracy
    Thanks skylebones! Hopefully I can infuse a lot of vibrant colors in the final texturing :)
  • cparthem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cparthem polycounter lvl 6
    Hey! The model is looking really great! Keep posting when you get textures and in-engine shots for us to look at!
  • Jonas Dahlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there! Cool concepts, love Artyom's stuff :)
    I would say that the model looks good but I think there is some sections that are to straight compare to the rest of model and the concept... Like the boardwalks, especially the outer one, and some parts of the roof. Would be nice with a more interesting silouette of those parts :)
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    I think that you've got a great start on your model and I love his concepts!!! Great pick.

A lot of his shapes are nice and chunky, and I think a few parts of your model are getting a little thinner. For example some of the wood beams and supports. In his concept they are very weighty/chunky/heavy, and in your model are looking a little thinner and weaker. I would beaf them up a bit.

Also, I have seen a couple people tackle these concepts by Artyom Vlaskin, and one mistake I have seen is that they do a pretty great job on reproducing the part of the concept that is drawn, but on the backside, it kind of falls off...

I think that is happening with your model. The building should really have close to the same sense of AWESOME as the concept has all the way around, and I think the back side of your model is lacking in comparison to the front. Spend some time thinking about what might be around the back. Give it some life and narrative and make something cool that fits with what the front is showing. For example, maybe add more dock around the back with some fishing poles, barrels stacked, maybe exagerate that back patio more. Make it bigger. Stick a small room sticking off it, or maybe its a resturaunt with a big patio out back and bar attached to it...

Something. Anyways, I think its a good start. Just need to nail down what you're going to do with the back of it.
  • legacyofpiracy
    Jonas: Thanks a lot for the feedback! I definitely agree with you about the wood - I'll try and really push that warped effect with the wood elements! I keep having to remind myself to really push the quirky, fantasy elements of the piece :)

Owl: Wow I really appreciate your incredibly thorough feedback, this is exactly why I came over to polycount :) I definitely see what you mean about beefing up the weightiness of the house and support beams, I bet those pirate built their stuff to last haha.

You definitely nailed the bit about the back - I've been struggling with what to do with it since I started and you're right that it really doesn't have that wow factor. I love the idea of adding some sort of bar/restaurant out there with some roofing similar to the front. The whole house definitely gives off the whole bar vibe to me. Your ideas about the fishing poles are excellent, I've realized I've neglected all of those little prop elements and gotten too wrapped up in the large scale architecture. Thanks again for your feedback!
  • legacyofpiracy
    Hello Polycount!

It's been a while since I updated this, but I wanted to show you some progress. I've modeled and unwrapped the full scene at this point, with the possible exception of some additional foliage type stuff I might add on later. There's still a lot of work for textures that needs to be done of course, but I've put in an ocean plane, and some (very rough) landscape and materials.

PirateHouseUDK1.jpg

Again, the landscape is pretty rough at this point. I like the general shape of it, but I need to fix the tiling on those materials.

PirateHouseUDK2.jpg

Here it is from a few more angles. I added a waterwheel to the back side of it, and a few additional props all around.

As you can see, I've made some changes based on you guys' feedback.

Jonas: I've warped and broken some of the wood planking all around the dock. I'm hoping to push this further with the texturing as well.

Owl: I've added the Waterwheel, some fishing rods, and a bit more complex of a dock to the back end to try and match the interest of the front a little bit better.

I'd love any questions or comments you all may have!

Thanks again, Polycount!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hmmmm i'm not too sure about the waterwheel. Usually those are placed in rivers so that the waterforce causes the "turbine" to spin round. However i can't see this working in the sea, since the waves would hit it but then when the water receeds it would neutralise the initial force applied to the wheel.

I'm no expert on the matter, but it does look a bit weird (regardles of it looking very nice hehe).

Overall it looks like a very good start, can´t wait to see more! :)
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Expert in liquid dynamics and everything with fancy letters after it here.... The water wheel will not work!

I was joking by the way. But year logic says it won't work there for it doesn't work. You need to look at it from a consumers perspective... They are just going to look at it and be a little confused because its out of place.

An alternative you could use that will fit the pirate theme, would be to add a variant on top of the building or where ever you like, that's made out of sails. Because one thing the beach/ocean has plenty of , it's wind.
  • legacyofpiracy
    Hi Sugus and Josh! Thanks for the feedback!

I had researched it - water wheels used for larger bodies of water - lakes, oceans, etc - do generally have a different design to account for tidal motion rather than say a river which moves in a set direction. I decided that, since I was doing a more fantastic scene, I'd prioritize style over realism, and go with this design since it was somewhat reminiscent of a ship's wheel. I also thought of positioning the house in more of a delta area, along a river meeting that ocean maybe to make it a bit more believable in having a set flowing current?

Josh, I do like that idea of the sail-type structure! That concept totally escaped me when trying to muse on the back design of the house haha. Perhaps I can convert that wheel - or just add an additional structure like you mentioned on the roof. Definitely something to consider.
    This is why I always have trouble pushing myself forward to the next 'part' of the project because I always hear all these great ideas that I want to go back and implement! Haha

Thanks guys!
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    So by coincidence I am working on a scene based off the same concept. Your progress looks good so far! I love Vlaskin's concepts for the amount of detail and clarity he gets in there. Not a whole lot of ambiguity as to what's what.

As for the back of the building... I think this concept shows the back of the building (with the main difference being the large structure attached at the front of the hull). That may also be useful inspiration/direction for your color pallet.

There's a lot to this scene and it has a lot of potential. Good luck with the project!
  • legacyofpiracy
    Hi JStins!

That's awesome that we are both working on the same project! Great minds think alike :) I've really enjoyed working from this concept - although there was definitely a ton of intricacy to work in and it took longer than anticipated. I was just really excited to try something a bit more fun and fantastical. Best of luck with your own project! I'd love to see how you've been tackling the same problems :)

Thanks for that reference as well - I'd seen that image but didn't really connect the dots haha. Maybe that full town will be a project down the line!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The water wheel probably wouldn't work well in the tide - it would reverse direction every time a wave hit. You could, however, run a pipe from a convenient stream over the wheel.
    vacation-2004-059.jpg
  • legacyofpiracy
    Hello Polycount!

Sorry for the lull between posts - I've been hard at work doing this, while also working on other projects here and there.

I've got a few shots of the scene, which has undergone some major work with texturing, adding some clutter assets, and building out the surrounding area a little bit.

At this point, I no longer really have time to model anything new, but I'd love some feedback on how I could really improve the textures! Here's some progress:

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I know I need to work on my landscape material a bit - it tiles too much out in the distance, and I know a trick to fix that in UDK, but I'd especially love feedback on ways to dirty up or generally make the house textures pop a bit more! Let me know what you all think!

Thanks Polycount!
  • gurtperk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gurtperk polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the color and value variation you're giving in your textures. This is really awesome progress, I think it matches the original sketch/inspiration very well.

If you'd like some feedback on the wear or dirt passes that may match the style, I would look at resources like Team Fortress 2:

wood%20wall%20textures%20team%20fortress%202%201920x1080%20wallpaper_wallpaperswa.com_63.jpg

wall007d.png

I've had some success with this kind of treatment by overlaying high resolution images of grunge or wear and, really simply, going back in with a brush and simplifying the information so its much more generalized.

I think that would lend well with this piece you're creating. Keep it up, man. Loving it so far.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Lovely textures, but the way you've done the wheel makes it look like a wireframe is on. I'd change that
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    The silhouette of the straw could use some edge loops to give it more volume and some alpha at the end to help push the effect. Looking good so far. Keep going.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 15
    Very cool looking, is that Spiral Islands water shader? i'm using it in my Myst Island project :P really love the whimsy this scene puts out.
  • legacyofpiracy
    gurtperk - Thanks so much for the feedback and resources! TF2 is a great idea for reference. That it exactly what I needed. Now it's time to put my stockpiles of textures to good use!

Selaznog - Thanks for the feedback! Looking back, I definitely agree with you on the wireframe-y texture. I'll try and reduce that on my next texture pass!

Gannon - Thanks for the suggestions! I see what you mean about the roof seeming flat - I'll try and add some poofiness if it doesn't break everything - but I will most definitely add some fringe cards. Great idea!

Indecom - Why yes that's the Spiral Islands shader ^.^ Good catch! I love it hahaha.

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the feedback!