Home Technical Talk

3D Studio Max Snap To Vertex Question

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Three65 polycounter lvl 6
I know that I have found this answer before in this forum, but I have been looking for the last hour with no luck of finding it again. I am using 3DS Max and using a 8 sides cylinder to snap my points to to make a nice hole. However my verts are snaping to the cylinder geo that I am basically using as a guide. What is that I need to turn on or off under the snap tool in order to keep the verts on the plane they are currently on? I hope this make sense.

Replies

• RavenTheBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RavenTheBird polycounter lvl 12
    can you post a image so we can more understand what u mention about
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a pic see how the verts are snapping to the Cylinder, I just want to use it as a guide to snap them into the cylinder shape on my base mesh.

vertsnap.jpg
  • obiajulu1982
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably, 3d Max can do everything and make me a sammich at the same time. :bulb:
  • RootLocus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

You need to create an NGon before you create the new vertices ( so they can snap to the face ). Just select the border where you have your gap now and use the cap tool. Start the cut from one of the border vertices and create nice quads around the cylinder. Then delete the cylinder face. The snap settings are fine if you only have Vertex selected.

Good luck!
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, however I already have the hole cut in the base mesh I am just using the cylinder as a guide to snap them into place. What I did to fix this for right now is just deleted all the faces except the top and then copied the X position from my bash mesh and moved the top face to that position and snap them into place then deleted the guide.
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teclis polycounter lvl 15
    I think what you were looking for (if i'm getting this right) was the Axis Constrains in the snapping Options.
    You can either turn it on with alt+F3 or right click on the snaps -> options -> Use Axis Constraints.
    And now before moving a Vertex you should mark the Axis on which you want to move along
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either drag the verts on a specific axis using the gizmo handles and snapping turned on, or go into an orthographic view and turn the snapping to 2.5d snapping rather than 3d snapping. It will move the verts along the 2d axis but still snap to the cylinder.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Teclis, that was exactly what I was looking to do. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Try the 3D Snap option ("S"). It should allow you to snap your selection to things like pivot,vert, gridpoints. You can choose what you want as "snap location" by rightklick on the 3D-Snap symbol (left of the angel snap). If you select "vert" only you can then move the vert on the YZ plane and snap it to the vert of the tube. If your poly is not alligned to the YZ (or XY, XZ) plane you can select "face" at the modifier menu to keep the vert on the poly-plane.

Attention, you then maybe snap it multiple times, to get it into the right position.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    if you hadn't cut the hole yet you could've also used the face constraint in the editable poly -> edit geometry tab thingie. but axis constraints are probably a more fail-proof way :D
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    For building round holes in your mesh its much faster to cap the hole, select the face and hit 'geopoly' in the graphite tools.

http://designlab.ufsc.br/iphone4/images/geopoly_t.jpg
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the replies, these are all great things to know and I will give them all a try while I am modeling :)