Home Technical Talk

Shading artefacts only in Source engine (normal map related?)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Yogensya polycounter lvl 9
UPDATE:
This issue has been solved and had nothing to do with textures or meshes, in this case the problem was caused by a file called sharedbones.qci, after replacing it with another version randomly found, the problem was fixed. more info in this reply: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1764090&postcount=30

Hi,

I wanted to ask about normal mapping in the Source Engine.

When I bake and texture my models I usually preview them with Xoliul2 or in tools like http://p3d.in or Marmoset Toolbag. On all this programs, I get my models to look nice, no shading problems, and normal maps look good, they have depth to them and add a lot of detail to the low poly.

The problem comes after exporting to the Source Engine (Left 4 Dead 2 particularly). When I test the model in-game, my normal map seems to be much more plain, like it was applied with 50% intensity or something. And I also get some shading artefacts.

I've actually tried multiplying the normal map (duplicate layer with blue channel leveled and overlay blending mode), that adds more depth but doesn't get rid of artefacts or makes them more noticeable.

Here's a comparison of my model in p3d.in and in Left 4 Dead 2:
5uVWIZn.jpg

And you can actually see the model oline at http://p3d.in/Xwhrg

In case it helps, here's my VMT material:
VertexLitGeneric
{
$baseTexture "models/weapons/melee/fasthawk/difuse"
$bumpmap "models/weapons/melee/fasthawk/normal"
$phong 1
$phongboost 1
$phongexponent 1
$phongfresnelranges "[.1 .6 .65]"

$normalmapalphaenvmapmask 1

$envmap env_cubemap
$envmapfresnel 1
$envmapFresnelMinMaxExp "[0 5 .4]"

$detail "models/infected/hunter/hunter_01_detail.vtf"
$detailscale "1.75"
$detailblendfactor .001
$detailblendmode 0
$detailAmount 0
Proxies
{
BloodyHands
{
resultVar $detailAmount
}
Equals
{
srcVar1 $detailAmount
resultVar $detailblendfactor
}
}
}

Any other relevant details i can think of:
  • Model is done and baked with 3dsmax 2012
  • Green channel is set to down (Y-)
  • I compress the textures with DXT1 for difuse, DTX5 for normal map
  • Normal map texture has specular in alpha channel
  • VTF files are compiled from TGA with VTFEdit 1.3.3

I'm sorry for making a long post like this, but i wanted to give all details you may need.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    What I find really peculiar is the way the normal map seems to go from being inside out to not over the graduation along the indents. It's symptomatic of something definitely not being synced. I know from personal experience the Green channel is usually what people get backwards and I'm second guessing the crap outta myself as to whither it's -Y now your brought it up.

Does it have the same problems in the Model viewer and does anything look funky with your model normals or normal map there?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Invert the Green Channel, contrast your Spec map more, etc.

Also, make sure you're saving your Normal Map as 32bit so your Alpha slot can be read.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Angry beaver,

Thanks for the reply. :)

Unfortunately I'm quite sure the green channel is right because the model looks as intended in the previewer (you can see for yourself here http://p3d.in/Xwhrg) but if I flip it, it generates different artefacts than in the game, and looks even worse.

I'll test flipping green in-game again just to be sure but I believe I tried that with a previous model with out luck.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Invert the Green Channel, contrast your Spec map more, etc.

Also, make sure you're saving your Normal Map as 32bit so your Alpha slot can be read.

Hi Ace-Angel,

Thanks for replying.

I have tried all of those too and no luck, i'm starting to think maybe something is wrong when i export the mesh to Source, because i'm comparing my textures and normal maps to those in other mods and original game models and everything looks the same, except my normal maps look poor in-game.

More over, flipping the green channel in-game didn't change all that much, so it still looks to me like the normal map is not doing it's full effect, but i can't explain how would that be possible. :S
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Are you using a synced workflow (as in baker and renderer uses the same tangent basis)? If not then that might just be the problem. Try baking out a world/object space normalmap and use Handplane to convert it to a Source tangent space normalmap.

Good luck!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has nothing to do with synched tangents right now, that's another issue for another time with smoothing groups.

There is something wrong here, you can very clearly see the dents and other 'little holes' going out instead of in, the entire part of the axe in the font is curved inside because of this, something if flipped in the normals.

Flip the green or red channel manually in PS or in your baker app when baking, don't do that in the engine since most engines will do only a 'side flip' and not a full flip on your channels.

Before baking and exporting, make sure you Reset-XForm and the pivot of the mesh. Make sure all your Normals ON YOUR MESH are unified and points correctly outwards, and that you don't have them inverted or double face-rendered.

Also, if you want 1:1 bake, last I checked, Source uses XNormal's default bake setup.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys,

I have taken a look at this thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107420 and i was also getting the idea i should try rebaking from xnormal, i'll give it a shot.

I'm also a bit paranoic about Reset XForm, and use it quite often in 3ds max to avoid problems. I also use xViev to check for mesh errors and things like that.

I have just checked unifying normals and nothing changes so i take it they are correct in that sense.

Will try baking from XNormal next.

Edit: Tried XNormal for bake, still the same result.. :(
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you check and see if anything in here might help?
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Bump_map

It says about checking the flag that the texture is a Normal Map, and it sounds like you need to normalize it before importing? You could also try Uncompress the texture, since this usually means reconstructing the blue channel in the engine, which could lead to errors?
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Ace-Angel,

I always turn the "normal map" flag in VTFEdit on when i save a normal map, although tbh i don't know what really changes.

I tried uncompressing it and it looks better as expected (normal map looks better in general) but the shading artefacts persist.

If by normalize you mean the vertex normals in the mesh, i made sure those are normalized too, apparently they were in the first place becasue pressin normalize didn't change a thing.

Next i'll try compiling the normal maps file with Vtex instead of VTFEdit, if that doesn't help i guess i'll take an extensive look at that wiki starting from https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Model_Creation_Overview ...

And thanks again for all the suggestions!
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, in an interesting turn of events I've (probably?) ruled out problems on the mesh, the model compile and/or the textures. It appears the compiled model look just fine when i open it in HLMV (Half Life model viewer), a tool that comes with the Source SDK (see image below).

For the spacular to show in the first place i have to save the normal map without alpha, since its alpha channel is being used as specular channel and is low to fit in-game.

j8npfh4.jpg

Now i'm even more clueless since i don't know where else to look.. :(
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Not really sure about your normal map problem, but your phong fresnel ranges are kinda set weird, that .1 means any facing surface will show less intense phong spec which creates sort of a falloff effect i think, and your gloss is set to 1 (phong exponent) which might not be what you want, might as well use your gloss map for that ?, and also you spec in normal map alpha (if you have a spec map) and leave fresnel ranges to 1 1 1.You can also try that vtf photoshop plugin, i've never used vtfedit for export.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Could you send me both mesh and normal map baked? I will take a look to it
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya: Perhaps give Handplane a try? It does nice syncs to Source engine.

respawnrt: Fresnel ranges of 1 1 1 are hardly realistic for any surface. Generally you'll want something very low in the centre and higher as it goes towards the perpendicular edges, so those fresnel ranges are fine.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul68Rageous: Sure, and thanks :)https://dl.dropbox.com/u/251256/Fasthawk/Fasthawk.zip
    If anyone else wants to take a look, feel free to do so.

Farfare: I have just tried Handplane, not sure if I'm using it right but I get literally the same normal map.

What I did:

1) Went back to 3dsmax and bake object space normal with default settings and Y+
    2) Go to handplane, load lowpoly FBX, object space n/m, and select Source as target engine
    3) At this point I have to set Input green channel to "Identity" or it will render green and red where it should render blue on most surfaces.
    4) Then I get the exactly same result as if I baked tangent directly in 3ds max. I compared in Photoshop and both looks equal except for the added padding.

--

I'm also confused by the fact the half life model viewer renders the exported and compiled model correctly without artefacts, yet it only fails in-game. Wouldn't that rule out normal map or mesh problems and point to the VMT or something like that?

Again thanks everyone for the tips, I haven't found the problem yet but I've definitely learned some interesting stuff already.. :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    try the normal map, even if it looks the same visually. Also, is the model triangulated? In the source engine picture you posted, it looks like a channel is inverted but it is hard to tell for sure.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya wrote: »
    4) Then I get the exactly same result as if I baked tangent directly in 3ds max. I compared in Photoshop and both looks equal except for the added padding.
    Try throwing one over the top of the other and setting the top one's layer blending mode to Difference.

Then put a brightness/contrast adjustment layer on top of that and crank up the values.

You might see small - but important - differences in the normal maps. Even those tiny differences can make fairly noticeable flaws in the surface when applied as a normal map.

Regarding the HLMV shot; You can still see flaws in the normal map there. Especially on the flat sides of the axe head near the front. I don't think there's a difference between HLMV and the game other than the lighting in the game shows up the flaws more.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alec,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the model was triangulated before baking, hoping to avoid flipped edges causing problems.

I was thinking of an inverted channel too when I first saw the problem but I've tried a couple of times inverting the green channel. I guess I'll give it another round of tries inverting both green and red channels in the resulting normal map from Handplane, to be sure I rule out options.

If that doesn't fix it, I'll probably redo about everything:
    - Move high poly and low poly to a clean 3dsmax scene,
    - Recheck for topology with xview/stl check,
    - Reset xforms and pivots and collapse modifiers,
    - Redo the bake in object space,
    - Run it through Handplane,
    - Export mesh/normal map to source SMD & compile

(let me know if i'm missing anything)

Also sorry for repeating myself but note that the picture in http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1762646&postcount=11 is from the compiled source model, taken from HLMV, and looks good from the beginning, it's only in-game where the problems surface. I have no clue how HLMV differs from the actual game engine in terms of shading, though.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    You shouldn't need to invert any channels off of the handplane output. Additionally, set all of the settings you used in the handplane "more options" back to their defaults.
    Make a tangent space map with these settings, if it looks really wrong then hit the flip y/z option but not the others.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Yogensya: Perhaps give Handplane a try? It does nice syncs to Source engine.

respawnrt: Fresnel ranges of 1 1 1 are hardly realistic for any surface. Generally you'll want something very low in the centre and higher as it goes towards the perpendicular edges, so those fresnel ranges are fine.
    Yeah i see what you mean, but on something like his axe especially if you have a nice spec map, i don't see how this looks great, as it dims your spec in the centre ! personal preference thou :)
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay I found problem....its problem of your mesh...before you export into SMD, u HAVE to assign SM groups to the model, otherwise source compiler will think every polygon has its own SM group...also dont forget to assign multiple sm groups, ur model lacked them
    But when I applied 1 sm group to whole model, exported into source, everything looks good, cheers:
    (hlmv shot)
    sekera.JPG
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i haven't been able to check thoroughly but i think you are getting the same result i get in HLMV, it does look right for me in HLMV, it's only in the game where it fails.

About the smoothing groups, it might be that i didn't export them to the .obj or .fbx, but the model is smoothed for me in max.

AlecMoody: Regarding Handplane exports, i'll probably try again tomorrow with a clear head and if i don't get any good results i'll post pics showing what handplane generates with/without the flip y/z option.

Thanks again to everyone for the support.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the Steam forums? I know it's a longshot since the average person over there doesn't even know what a Normal Map is, but maybe someone came across your issue?

Maybe there is an issue with the export process? What format are you exporting in and what are the boxes you ticked? If you're using FBX, I think you need to change it to Binary and change the Z/Y is Up format.

Again, take what I say with a hint of salt, since it's been ages since I last used Source, and L4D2 changed alot of stuff since then.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Thanks Ace-Angel, :)

I export to .SMD with a couple of plugins, there are two: one from wunderboy.org and the other from cannonfodder. I have tried both and got the same results, though.

If tomorrow I can't figure anything out and redoing the whole process doesn't help, i think I'll try luck on Gamebanana, since there's quite a source modding community there too..

By the way are there any manuals of PDF's for Handplane? I just want to make sure i'm not missing anything obvious when converting maps with it because so far i've gotten really strange results with it, and if that works as feedback/testing for the developers, all the better. :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, but it's as simple as 1,2,3 use. If you're still having issues, just post your question in the thread, Alec is very active on the forums, so he might be able to help you.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I either had smoothed mode in max, but it had no SM groups set up and exporter might export it "as without sm groups"
    anyway here is ingame shot
    sekera.PNG
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the info,

I'm wondering if it might have to do with l4d2 engine because your export does look perfect.

Could you let me know how you changed SM groups exactly, did you go to the mesh, select all faces and set them to SM Group 1 or did you do it differently?

Also what exporter did you use?

I tried both wunderboy and cannonfodder and both gave me the seme result.

If you could share the max file you used to export that might be interestig.

--

Regarding Handplane, the problem was the object space map generated by 3ds max, it was completely broken. I baked it with XNormal and handplane didn't give any problems at all.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep..selected all the faces, set them to SM group 1, and exported with cannonfodder exporter
    I dont have max file as I did rly save it, but I might send u .smd?
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've testing further and i've discovered something interesting.

Only the viewmodel (the first personview of the weapon) has the problem. The worldmodel is ok even in-game. They are exactly the same though, same mesh, textures, and material.

I've noticed the HLMV tool does show the problem in the viewmodel, so it doesn't seems to be exclusive to the L4D2 version of the engine or anything like that.

I'm taking a look at my .qc files now (used to compile the models), removing lines, changing stuff, making the V_ one look more like the W_ one, so far no changes.

In case anyone wants to see them:
    v.qc
    w.qc

Edit:

After testing line per line, it has something to do with the sharedbones.qci file, an include that lists bones for the arms of the player. Apparently each weapon needs this file to be adjusted accordingly for it's animations or something like that.

My current sharedbones.qci file should be for the katana weapon in left 4 dead 2, although i'm not sure.

I'll update when i find anything else or figure out how to fix this file on my own.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SOLVED!

Finally I got it to work by using some random version of the sharedbones.qci file I found lying around. *sigh*

And the screenshot of victory:
    aQ1xuP1.jpg