Home General Discussion

Path of Exile - Open Beta

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ceebee polycounter lvl 14
Posting this thread so we can get some Polycounters together for the "unofficial" launch of Path of Exile. Characters won't be wiped during this even after official release so it should be a pretty good time. They've added a 3rd act for this .

If you don't know anything about Path of Exile, in my opinion it's basically like what Diablo 3 should have been. The game is free and microtransactions are strictly cosmetic, there is no in-game currency so it will actually be possible to find cool gear to trade to your friends or strangers rather than buy all your upgrades from an auction house. There's PvP. And of course let's not forget about the goddamn massive passive skill tree each class has and the shitload of different ways to customize your active skills that come from gems you socket into your equipment. Respecs are hard but there are so many crazy builds you can have that are viable.

If I sound excited for this game it's because I am. They've done a killer job taking just about everything I love from a good ARPG and expanding upon it.

Open Beta starts around 4PM EST today or 1PM PST. Or you can go to their site for the countdown. The new patch will be put online 2 hours before launch so you can update.

http://www.pathofexile.com

Open Beta Launch Trailer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE"]Path of Exile Open Beta Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah played this about 6 months ago or something. I really liked it. Will be taking part!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I played it for a bit. Although I do like the currency system, I still like diablo 3 better. PoE feels too slow, and you have to give a year of your life just to break a freaking barrel. Maybe ill play again if I see more people playing. or some RL friends
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played it some time ago and sadly it's a 99% gameplay and 1% marketing.. hope to see more people coming to this game.. It's really very diablo2 like.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I just heard about this game a few days ago thanks to someone having a link to it in their sig over at CAG. The customization and abilities look great, I'll be checking it out later today when the open beta goes live.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Open Beta is live! Woohooo!
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anybody is playing this friend request me, character name is Curt. Level 30 witch or so at the start of act 3.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    been having a blast in this with SCB. looking to recruit more friends Euro side!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    WOW LOL this looks so amazing will tryout for sure
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    been having a blast in this with SCB. looking to recruit more friends Euro side!

You can play with anyone, no matter your gateway differing. Works flawlessly too somehow...
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can play with anyone, no matter your gateway differing. Works flawlessly too somehow...

Woah I had no idea about this.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The camera is horrible in this game... they should do something.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i don't see how it's any worse than any other camera of this style of game.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Blaizer wrote: »
    The camera is horrible in this game... they should do something.

Whatttt?? It seems to be slightly closer and aimed a bit higher but horrible....? ehh not sure what you are seeing.

Torchlight 2:
    torchlight_2_lamp.jpg

Path of Exile:

Path-of-Exile-August-Gameplay-Trailer_3.jpg
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    So anyone playing this now the official release is out? Been playing it on and off since the beta and it's really a great game.

Logged in the other day to see the passive tree had been reset so continued with my Archer. Currently going through the game on Cruel difficulty. God the game is hard at some points, can't imagine the last difficulty. Still so fun and not frustratingly difficult.

The classes are just so flexable, along with the passive tree, there's thousands of builds to try.

This is what D3 should have been imho. The dark fantasy atmosphere and setting of POE takes over and makes this what D2 would be like if remade today.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    The character art and animations are kinda janky at parts, but overall great. Most importantly, I like a lot of the ideas presented. (Rusted, splintering gear, rotting drowned dead, etc)

Doesn't hurt that the game is a hell of a lot of fun! Would definitely reccomend to anyone who was a fan of the original Diablo games. I loved Diablo 3, but this feels closer. Each level gained is exciting, and the entire experience is rewarding IMO. Itemization of skills is a brilliant, if bold, concept.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    The game isn't as sexy as Diablo 3, but the game-systems are really great in my opinion (large skill tree with keystones, gems and how the combine together, currency linked to crafting material, unique gear that lows for specific builds).

I've gotten back into it a bit since release, kinda hard to remake old character builds with all the changes. One of my character names is Balgreuh if someone wants to coop.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Do they have a free demo?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Do they have a free demo?

It says it's free to play on Steam. Not sure what the micro transaction part of the game is like though.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    It's free to play, so yes.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    It says it's free to play on Steam. Not sure what the micro transaction part of the game is like though.
    Last I was playing, microtransactions were just reskins and new particle effects and the like. Cool stuff, but nothing that changes the game.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah all the micro-transactions are cosmetics and things like extra stashes.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah shit... guess I'm gunna try it out!
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    The character art and animations are kinda janky at parts, but overall great.

[FONT=&quot]I'm just going to chime in here and say, a lot of the Art is 5-6 years old haha. A few characters had been redone since then (I did a few). Though, a lot of them are unnecessarily low poly, bad use of UV space and just have messy bakes which make them look a bit meh. When some of the designs are kind of boring and uninspired it doesn’t really help either.

As for the animation, for some reason a lot of the characters don't share rigs or animation, meaning a lot of the rigs were ridiculously simple and less time for the one animator they had to polish animation.

I guess it's just stuff that happens with a start-up with next to zero actual game dev experience. At least the gameplay is pretty good though, and it’s pretty in parts.
    [/FONT] :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm playing this now, and I'm really amazed by this game. It feels like what I thought Diablo3 would be when I first heard Diablo3. Not that D3 was bad, I liked it, but this really does feel like a Diablo game.

The character customization as far as skills is just awesome. The skill "forest" is a bit daunting at first. But man, it feels like it gives me so much choice as to the specific character I want to make.

It's an awesome game.

And it's free... Mind = Blown !
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    PoE blows Diablo 3's itemization and end-game out of the water. While it does feel a lot more sluggish combat wise. More so it's actually very similar to the movement in d2 which some people see as a good thing.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me the combat feels like most of what Diablo 2 was, so if you were a fan of Diablo 2 it's worth it to give it a shot. The fact that you actually have to trade the public or craft your own gear is awesome. Currency outside of gold or dollars actually has a meaning. Diablo 3 is just now realizing this, hopefully getting rid of the auction house fixes some of those issues. In the meantime, if you haven't tried it yet, now that it's on Steam it's pretty easy (and free). I only spent money on expanding my stash and that was like $5 or something, I look forward to seeing what they continue releasing.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculptaur wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I'm just going to chime in here and say, a lot of the Art is 5-6 years old haha. A few characters had been redone since then (I did a few). Though, a lot of them are unnecessarily low poly, bad use of UV space and just have messy bakes which make them look a bit meh. When some of the designs are kind of boring and uninspired it doesn’t really help either.

As for the animation, for some reason a lot of the characters don't share rigs or animation, meaning a lot of the rigs were ridiculously simple and less time for the one animator they had to polish animation.

I guess it's just stuff that happens with a start-up with next to zero actual game dev experience. At least the gameplay is pretty good though, and it’s pretty in parts.
    [/FONT] :)

I didn't mean to put anyone down, the game still looks great, especially for what I assume to be from a pretty small developer group, and for being free to play. Doesn't hurt that the game is endlessly fun. Good job on the game!

And i'd echo the sentiment that the gameplay feels closer to diablo 2. Diablo 3 saw me using most of the hotbar, but diablo 2 i mostly just used one or two skills at a time, so this kinda harkens back to that for me.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as looks, the only thing that jumps out at me is where are the pants?

Some goblin must have stole all the pants in the Path of Exile universe. At first I thought maybe I missed a slot. But looking at the inventory screen, there isn't even a slot for pants. So my guy just walks around bottomless forever it seems.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also, I'm looking for some specific active-skill gems. Raise Spectre, Blood Rage, Flicker Strike, Phase Run. Mostly green ones. So if you have any spare Green skill gems and you wanna trade, let me know.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha no worries, I was merely stating some of the problems that bothered me while I was working there, and explaining why they might have been that way. Glad you like it though!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    As far as looks, the only thing that jumps out at me is where are the pants?

Some goblin must have stole all the pants in the Path of Exile universe. At first I thought maybe I missed a slot. But looking at the inventory screen, there isn't even a slot for pants. So my guy just walks around bottomless forever it seems.
    Pants were exiled to the trouser dimension

Pants of Exile
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried it out, it's kind of cool. The passive skill tree is massive, reminds me of the Sphere Grid from FFX.

Seems like a game I would rather play on my Xbox on the TV, mindless killing.

The one thing I thought intriguing was the NPCs sell/buy system. You don't use gold, you use Scrolls of Wisdom or other various items. It feels much more like a bartering system on an island of exiles. Very cool!