Home Technical Talk

Edge loops when adding detail

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Three65 polycounter lvl 6
Hello,
I am new to the forum, but have been visiting a lot and reading a lot on here. Seems like the best forum to join and a good one to be active in :). I have been learning 3D for the last year and a half and have been self taught mostly. I have watched a lot of training videos and read quite a bit, but I would still say I am a green horn when it all boils down to it. So in my quest to gain more knowledge on the subject I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I was wondering when you start adding detail to your blockout model, is it important to keep your edge loops so they flow all the way to a edge and terminate? Hopefully the pic I have included will help clear up this question. I am adding some holes for detail to my model and as you can see where the red arrows are is the end of my edge loop and is creating some N-Gons :poly122: I know Polys are the way to go, so would it be important to take these lines all the way across the model to a edge? Or will this work ok? It seems to smooth fine however it is a nice flat surface and that could be the reason why. Anyhow if anyone could point me in the right direction on where I can read up on it I don't mind doing the work. Or if someone has some insite they can share I would appreciate it. To me it just seems like if your going to add detail like this it could get tricky very fast and perhaps messy. So I would like to learn the best way to go about this so I can pratice good habits.

edgeloops.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You can do it that way because ngons are fine as long as they have an edge loop buffer between them and a change in direction on the mesh. However it would be best in general to finish those loops off around the object and keep them in quads. That way if and possibly when you need to drop an edge loop on that object you will guarantee that it will go clean around.

Working in quads as much as you can is the best way to model, but sometimes you cannot avoid tris/ngons. Use ngons and tris where needed if that is the only way to get the shape, but besides that try and keep your mesh cleaned. That way if you have to do a slight change and need to edit some edge loops, or add a bunch more it will just be a lot easier.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Bardler, I appreciate you taking the time to clear this up for me.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    no problem, I highly recommend the modeling dem shapes sticky in this sub forum. It has all kinds of little tips for high poly modeling.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I have actually been reading through it the last day or so and have made it to about page 30....lol there is a lot of GREAT info in there.