Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Superman

-Apparently not- Calling this done for now.
About 3(ish)weeks off and on. Huge thanks to those in waywow who gave crits, armt/torso ratio was adjusted in the lp ;)
The suit is mostly based on the Man of Steal version with a few small differences, mainly the size and style of the trim around the boots and going down the legs.
He weighs in at 14686 tri's and uses a 2048 diff, spec, normal and skin translucency map, with a gloss stored in the spec. Rendered in good old Toolbag.

new:
Superman_31.jpg
Superman_32.jpg
old:
Superman_LP_turns.jpg
Superman_LP_Wireturns.jpg
Superman_LP_textures.jpg

a couple zb shots:
Superman_14.jpg
Superman_20.jpg

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i think for a super hero he looks short. typically it should be minimum 8 heads tall and in general 8-9 heads tall gives a good heroic look.

also, the waist area looks too wide and the leg silhouette looks off. the ankle area is too fat and the shin curve is off. here is a quick paintover.

71o084.jpg

also here is the height reference that could be useful:

i40ljm.gif
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Overall, I dig the proportions and style. Though, I gotta say.. It's missing something without the super-speedo
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas: Thanks dude, the speedo sure is classic, but I don't think it works with the new suit.

MM: Thanks very much for the paintover, that's a bit closer to how he was earlier in the waywow thread. How's this look?
    Superman_27.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    his head looks a little small and neck a tad too long? and his waist a tiny bit too wide still and his elbows dont seem to line up with his belly button which suggests that his arms are a little short and stocky too. Its kinda interesting that he isnt perfect ideal proportions though so if thats what you are going for then its fine.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I wasn't going for over-the-top Animated series proportions, but I can't say I was trying for less than ideal either.
    here's a few more tweaks, head size and elbow-belly button,

Superman_28.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    It's cool, I still like the speedos covering his junk haha
    Fair enough though, I like the direction your going with him :-)

That aside, suggest looking at his ribcage muscles.
    The serratus anterior/obliques? Toning them back would help showcase his latissimus dorsi.
    At the moment, they bulge out more than his pecs & cover his lats from our p.o.v .
    Usually it's nice to see a definition between the two, especially with such a sculpted physique.

my 2cents
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    View on P3d (lower res textures reduced a lot of the suit detail but it holds up mostly well

Superman (View in 3D)
    j1BDx

StephenVyas: Thanks man, I deliberatley reduced a lot of the defenition between muscles, since he's wearing a suit and not bodypaint but I'll see what I can tweak in the lowpoly (don't want to re-bakes at this point).
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Looks much better with the narrower hips :) one thing that stands out to me is his man bits, they are a bit too flat and a bit too high for me, not alot of people know that they had to cgi Brandon Roths super bulge down in superman returns because it was too distracting .......poor lil fella haha

He's looking much better dude :)
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Looks much better. One thing that still stands out a bit for me though is that his neck looks a bit on the thin side. Or maybe a little long, or maybe both. Right now there's something funny-looking about the proportions between his upper torso, neck and head.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool: I uh... I was not aware of that... thanks?
    Jigsaw: Still tweaking, I'll keep that in mind thanks:)

Bizzaro variant through texture tweaks. Still have to add an expression and the pose is supposed to be awkward, but this might not be the right type of awkward...
    Bizzaro_01.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    crazyfool wrote: »
    one thing that stands out to me is his man bits, they are a bit too flat and a bit too high

yup, i think so too.

also, the ankles are still to fat and the shape of the legs look off over all.
    as for the rib cage, i can tell that you are intentionally exaggerating them which is ok but you have to be consistent through the character so that it works over all. for example, a bigger rib cage would work well if you make him taller to show more bone growth.

ouv0og.gif
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM with the pro paintovers . Looking good man, I agree with above adjustments help him look more balanced / strong
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again MM, here's the leg changes:
    Superman_29.jpg

and some more Bizzaro:
    Bizzaro_02.jpg
    Bizzaro_03.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated first post with new Toolbag renders.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'd say make the skin a little less glossy, and bring the intensity down a little in the spec on the skin. it's so sharp and strong right now that it's highlighting all of the recesses in the face and making him look haggard and old. also maybe lower the transmission ever so slightly, or tweak the settings a little, there's a really bright glow on his cheeks in the face close ups.

starting to come together really well man!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The transmission thing that gir mentioned is the first thing to catch my eye. "His skull is transparent!", I thought.

Overall I like the proportions and anatomy, as they do feel a bit more real, even with the superheroic hypertrophy. This is a Clark Kent who could actually look like a regular joe reporter in street clothes.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedack guys,
    gir: I'm still trying to (seriously) figure out how to get skin looking good outside of the flat diffuse so it's a lot of trial and error. I've been following the Toolbag2 beta thread and really impressed with your results. Someday I'll have money again for the upgrade.
    Vallias: Cheers dude! Supe's anatomy is something that really bugs me in most representations. He's almost always super-ripped, but alien-origins aside the dudes a farmer and his build should reflect that. For all that Smallville messed up, Tom Welling had the right build.

So here's some more work on the skin, adjusted the spec map and the various subdermis/translucency settings in TB. I've also been working on getting some better hair on him. The old helmet works for for full body shots but up close it just looks like poo. As far as I can tell the dithering on the alpha is a scale issue between maya and TB.

Superman_33.jpg
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Starting to come together nicely man, maybe pull back the fresnel just a tad so it's not quite so all encompassing. could maybe make him a liiittle bit more glossy, certainly play around with gloss levels on different areas of skin, like the lips, nose, and forhead.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gir, tried doing that, though I was also working on figuring out the skin/translucency masks so there's some other adjustments in there too. Can't quite tell if it's better or not:

Superman_34.jpg

I've also re-done the Bizarro sculpt:
    Bizzaro_06.jpg
    (best viewed in IE?!?)
    -the old version for comparison:
    Bizzaro_05b.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    definitely an improvement, looking forward to seeing him in TB2 later today :D
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my first attempt at tb2, with all the skinny-goodness:
    Superman_35.jpg

Gir: in the tb2 beta thread you were talking about doing a stream and then youtubing it. Did you ever get a youtube version up?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help in the Hangout Gir! awesome (if weirdly sexual) info :)

So here's an update; he looks better to me but I dunno if that means anything...

Superman_37.jpg
    Superman_36.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    I don't know Scudz, this one looked better to me :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LqGyoK0s098/Up7mpFrKiPI/AAAAAAAADAU/UISobG8vnPM/s1600/Superman_34.jpg

Maybe it's just the lighting.

And the eyes look really weird.

Superman_33.jpg

The arms are too short, the wrist should be almost at the same level as the crotch. Or maybe the upper body is good, but the legs aren't... ^^'
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I agree, I like his mouth, his nose and his jaw but those eyes look off.
    Why are his arms so short now?

His waist is still a little too wide in my opinion, it does not contrast enough with his chest.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

Texelion: The lighting (and thus the effect on the mesh) in that one is from tb1. I haven't been able to get quite the same look in tb2 but I agree with you ;)

I had adjusted the shader on the eye's to use the secondary reflection setting in tb2 but I guess it's not working. His arms are bent slightly back at the shoulders and slightly forward at the elbows in this pose which I believe is contributing to the shorter appearance here but I agree they do seem shorter. haven't changed 'em since the earlier posts though.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They look short even on the A-pose i think. Or the torso is too long.

For the eyes I was talking about the shape, it's really strange that the outer corner is round and more open than the middle of the eyelids. Also, you have more white on the outer side than the inner one, you should have almost as much white on both sides. Maybe you left the eyes perfectly parallel instead of rotating them ?
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    His face looks straight out of the 30's, which is a bit strange next to his modern style outfit.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion: You do appear to be right on the eye's, I had adjusted the angle of them a few times but was never happy with the angle. I'll have another look. Do you find the arms too short in this view?

Fuisong: What's wrong with the 30's?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I think so. Anatomy and proprtions don't need to be always acurate, but if you compare the length of your arms with anatomy figures, you'll see something like this :

Superman_20.jpg

So, either the arms are too short, or the torso is too long ( and maybe the waist is too large, you could give his torso more power with a V-shape by shrinking the waist ).

As the legs look a bit short too, I would say that the torso is too long, maybe try to put the crotch higher ?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scudz, I suggest you take a look at your shaders & textures, I can't read any material correctly as its shown presently, you need to find out what material you want to define and what reflection/glossiness, bump, displace, sss... values you need to get something plausible. I personally like this model by alessandro baldasseroni as a reference, you can clearly read the materials that make it convincing although it is also a stylized character.

Not sure how marmoset works (its being long time since the last time I used it..) but I ll advice you that if possible you block out shading values (by that I mean reflection scale/roughness, sss, etc..) on your shaders, and then you texture using those values as a base.

cheers
  • Evil raz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evil raz polycounter lvl 10
    Hey ScudzAlmighty, I was wondering how you did the hairs?
    I am always having a terrible time with that.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion: Thanks for the continued feedback:) I'll have another go at the arm length

maze: Cheers man. Yeah my material defenition is pretty weak atm. It's supposed to be the shiny pleather material of his new suit.

Evil raz: The phenominal miss Tits put this up, the last half of which covers hair and I found it tremendously helpfull [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGN7Wby2thk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q"]Character Photoshop Texturing Overview, tutorial, Ellie fan art The last of us - YouTube[/ame]