Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

-[Smoking bear]-Native American Concept

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
so i decided to work on a new project a bit different than i generally do.
commission___smoking_bear_by_mwatsuki-d4lbbob_zps262cb0fe.jpg
I was planning to sculpt him in a neutral pose then pose him and such.

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Oh! I really dig it. I'm getting an almost 'Afro Samurai' vibe from this. You really don't see too many native american characters in games, so I think this is a great idea and will stand out a lot!
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah really liking the concept!... did native americans use zips? *shrug*
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks darebeenbo and SA_22 :P
    and i dont think they did :)
    day2-1_zpsfcc96ecb.jpg
    so due to my dismay/delay. i had decided to restore my computer to factory settings and in the process had lost 2 and half months of work. So i had to start over on this one. I have a longggg ways to go lol.
    I feel i might tone down the wrinkles, but atm i have no idea lol.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Looking great so far! You could overdo the pants folds a bit:)
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how about the folds so far onilolz?
    day4_zpse799e432.jpg
    So due to not being able to work on the model much of yesterday i decided to work and upload today. So i have no idea on how i should be going about doing fur. so i attempted on the bear claw part of the model. Any suggestions?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Good progress so far, he looks really stiff at the moment around the shoulders. I think that could be because of the thick clothes, I would roll them back, lower them and puff out his chest a bit as it looks like he has no neck at the moment.

I would also make the arms and hands a bit thicker.

Look forward to seeing him when you start sculpting the face :)
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool. i tried to push the shoulders back and thicken up the arms/hands alittle.
    day7_zps086fac22.jpg
    here's my update. i did a mask so the face doesnt seem as weird. comments/changes?
    i was going to add the feathers later. and mirror the pants flaps.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty awesome!

The one thing that really stands out to me is tha lack of negative space on your model.
    Seems like you just stuck to zadd and smooth.....go in and add some negatives
    You should try the dam_standard brush. Works really well with cloth folds
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Hey jermaineb,

I`m originally from Transilvania and last summer quite a few native indian people came to our small city. They've "set up camp" in a small park and played their music all day long :) . It was awesome. I did notice that their clothes were a bit worn out. They've came a looong way and they don't particularly live the luxurious lifestyle, they are more in harmony with the natural stuff..meaning they do a lot of manual labor work..obviously :) .
    As they don't really have separate work clothes, I would add some cuts and rip up the lower part of the pants, especially the shoe area. Often times I've noticed they had some decoration where the pants ended and the shoes started.

Eager to see the development :) .
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments/concern buttsahib and Elod.H :)
    cool i tried to add a bit of the dam_standard on the folds more specifically the pants.
    as well as tried to give a moreso worn out look, but id didnt want to deviate too far from the concept by making large tears or holes so i just kept them lightly worn and changed the shoes a bit. Is this a bit closer?
    day8_zps681126f2.jpg heres what i got so far.
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polypainted a bit today...
    i was going to add the zippers in ps and i also made a feather, but thats uninteresting lol. i was also planning to model the props in a modeling application so once i im finishing painting i wont be using zbrush much unless i get some materials information.
    day9_zps4b429a22.jpg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man. Nice work dude really !
  • jermaineb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this is quite a bit later, but due to technical issue with my computer and being busy with other stuff i finally mustered up enough time to get it done.... more or less.... its somewhere around low 5k
    smokingbearfinal1_zps8ef5ac33.jpg