Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bone Bow (Work In Progress) - Asset for Clinkz by eXecutex

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eXecutex polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys I finally got the access of this forum and I'm happy to introduce you to what I'm currently working on...

So here are some process wips of the Bone Bow that I want to accomplish for Clinkz (Bone Fletcher) for DOTA 2. There's a lot more to come. What I mainly want to accomplish here is that I want to reach the darskider's style of art for this bow which has never been done before.
Well, here are the WIP's with videos...

VIDEO:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGc-bPagps"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGc-bPagps[/ame]

UPDATE WIP5:
bone_bow_wip_5_by_executex-d5rq2yk.png

UPDATE WIP4:
bone_bow_wip_4_by_executex-d5rb0d3.png

An after concept art:
qzpuj.jpg

3rd wip:bone_bow_wip_3_by_executex-d5qmnql.png

VIDEO: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7H4Aje54E"]Bone Bow Speedart - Sculpting [Part 3/5] - YouTube[/ame]

2nd wip:bone_bow_wip_2_by_executex-d5q3cy0.png

VIDEO: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8B1bs-YPA"]Bone Bow Speedart - Sculpting [Part 2/5] - YouTube[/ame]

1st wip:bone_bow_wip_1_by_examplefx-d5aq24y.jpg

VIDEO: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BZH3gUTZIo"]Bone Bow Speedart - Sculpting [Part 1/5] - YouTube[/ame]

All the full res images can be found on my devart:http://executex.deviantart.com/

Do you guys think that it's ok if I add some kind of shield on the bow grip(handle) Do you think it's a good idea as for the concept ? Also a bone connection with stone.. You'll see what I mean on the image concept...

So I'll make sure to UPDATE THIS POST AS MUCH AS I CAN :)
And PLEASE at least give me some feedback :)
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Dark Ego
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aesthetics as well as functionality could be enhanced by doing that. Fangs on the hand guard would cause vicious wounds on someone punched by it.
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dark Ego wrote: »
    Aesthetics as well as functionality could be enhanced by doing that. Fangs on the hand guard would cause vicious wounds on someone punched by it.
    Dark Ego wrote: »
    ... could be enhanced by doing that...

Ahm, and may I ask by doing what ?
    the idea with the fangs seems ok, i'll think about that thanks anyway. To note you, I'll add a skull head on top of the hand guard/shield instead of those on the sides...
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amile duan wrote: »
    feel the design of your bone bow is very cool,waiting for the finished work...

Thanks a bunch :) I'm looking forward to finish it :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've got some solid stuff going on in this thread. Are you planning on making a low poly version, doing some baking and materials?
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've got some solid stuff going on in this thread. Are you planning on making a low poly version, doing some baking and materials?

Thanks, Yes I'm planing on first finishing this high poly model and then make the materials so after that I'll try to make it low poly and bake the materials to it :) I guess that is the process :)
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok people, i just wanted to bring you a little update:
    bone_bow_wip_4_by_executex-d5rb0d3.png

It's still in progress. I just want a feedback for the overall design, what do you think. I'm trying to somehow catch the style of Darksiders, I'm not sure how will the stone part go well on this bow..
    Also I'll make a hand guard/shield for this one... I hope that thing will be good, but I've no idea how to connect the handguard/shield with the bow. Should it be with some kind of bandages.. I don't really know, I need your help guys..
    Please throw your ideas on me, heap me up :D

Thanks,
    eXecutex
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BUMP, sorry for triple post but, this was posted last night in 3AM..
    I'd like to see some feedback :) Thanks...
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking gd, but kinda seems like it would just fall apart if u picked it up... needs something holding the bones and other pieces together
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SA_22 wrote: »
    looking gd, but kinda seems like it would just fall apart if u picked it up... needs something holding the bones and other pieces together

Thanks, And yes, I showed some bandages(i don't know how else I should call them - wraps maybe ?) in the 3rd wip that are on the grip/bow handle. I'm not sure what else should I do to hold those bones, but I'm pretty much sure that those bandages/wraps will work...
    If you have any suggestion please share it here :)
    Thanks for the comment anyway :)
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh lol blame firefox was running like ass so i didn't see everything :d

the wraps might be alil to much.. cover to much i think for some parts. maybe something string like, tendons etc
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone !! Here I'm with another update, I hope you'll like this one, Every feedback is welcome :)

UPDATE WIP5:
    bone_bow_wip_5_by_executex-d5rq2yk.png
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    Can definitely see the darksiders influence, any ideas on what colors you thinking of throwing onto this (I know it is bone, so bone colored :P) but maybe get a wrap around the handle with a bit hanging off. I am no 3D modeller but would look cool with a couple of ripped up bits of cloth on it.
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday wrote: »
    Can definitely see the darksiders influence, any ideas on what colors you thinking of throwing onto this (I know it is bone, so bone colored :P) but maybe get a wrap around the handle with a bit hanging off. I am no 3D modeller but would look cool with a couple of ripped up bits of cloth on it.

Hey thanks for the reply. Well yea, it turned out to be darksider's style as planned :D Well, I plan to add some fire on the eyes of the skull and also some fire at the end of the bow(that stone at the end I made).I still don't really know what colors should I put. I guess more like gray to blue for the stone, kinda brown for the wraps.. And yea I plan to add a lot of cloth, a lot of wraps/bandages around the bow and a few strings of course :)
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, a couple of tips and trick from PROFESSIONALS here on polycount would be good...
    I never got a critique from a professional before, so I'd like to hear/read some and would appreciate that help a LOT !
    Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to finish this model :)
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    eXecutex wrote: »
    Well, a couple of tips and trick from PROFESSIONALS here on polycount would be good...
    I never got a critique from a professional before, so I'd like to hear/read some and would appreciate that help a LOT !
    Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to finish this model :)

Don't put professionals on a pedestal.
    An amateur might know as much as a pro, but the only difference would be that one gets paid for it while the other doesn't. You do not need to be a pro to see if something looks off, so don't just brush the "noobies" off.

Saying you want replies from pro's basically comes down to saying you think everyone that has posted so far is not good enough to comment on your work. At least that is how I interpreted it.
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bb0x wrote: »
    Don't put professionals on a pedestal.
    An amateur might know as much as a pro, but the only difference would be that one gets paid for it while the other doesn't. You do not need to be a pro to see if something looks off, so don't just brush the "noobies" off.

Saying you want replies from pro's basically comes down to saying you think everyone that has posted so far is not good enough to comment on your work. At least that is how I interpreted it.

Nono, I wasn't thinking that way. I really do appreciate the people's comments on this thread. But the thing is a lot of people come, they see my work and they leave. It seems like I expected too much but i'm wrong.And yea I'm not an amateur, nor a pro, but I'm just asking for a feedback cos I want to become something, and i want to fix what is wrong actually. Anyway, thanks for coming along.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I think you're almost there but are still missing the big chunky details of darksiders. For examples the wraps around your handle look razor thin and could use some bevels on the edges.

For your skull it looks like you might have jumped subdivisions a bit too quickly and your detail (especially towards the bottom) is getting lost in blobby forms. The skulls in darksiders have a decent amount of small scale detail in some parts, but they also have large smooth areas to balance things. out. I would go down a couple subdivisions smooth things out, and define some main planes with the trim dynamic/Hpolish/flatten brushes.

Don't worry about getting detailed. Just make sure your main big and medium shapes are well defined before jumping into small stuff.

This thread has some great ref - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?170535-The-Character-Art-of-Darksiders-II-%28new-images-pg-5-6-7%29/page5

Also here are some demo videos from vigil; watch bobo sculpt dat skull! http://www.livestream.com/vigilnights