Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Last V8

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
In last days I finished last v8 from madmax. I wanted it in it's prime time so that's why it isn't damaged. Model have 11 766 tris and 4096x4096 textures, diff,spec,gloss,normal and map for reflections. Propably in next weeks after, I would make from scratch lowpoly of my hummer, Im gonna do enviro in UDK for that model. Hmm what else to say, im making those to make a portfolio and find a good job. Ok I will stop boring you here you are screenshots (from shader inside max ) and video (please watch in hd).

d4nus.jpg
Aterb.jpg
eo9aW.jpg
R3XAJ.jpg
G4sXt.jpg

Link to video, because i don't know how to embue it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O_EgTj3yRHo

Highpoly:

RZnvS.jpg

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    4096x4096 is too much it should be 2048x2048 or even 1024x1024 as the texture doesnt really have much details.
  • TigerGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    Can you post wireframes? That's an impressive polycount for that detail.
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye I can here you go:
    ppcZV.jpg

But imo polycount is good and I don't think that anyone should complain on it, it's not 2006. About 4096 x 4096 as you can see, it have interior and details are on back because I won't add not necessary details on body, when most of the effect are coming from dust and cubemap.
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Model looks pretty good, but yes, the tri/polycount could be reduced. If you want to use this to find a job, show them that you can work efficent with polys.
    Indeed, it's 2012 (2013 almost :)) and this tricount shouldn't be a problem to any engine, but I think there are a lot of tri's at - for example - the sides of the car, that don't add any extra (visible) geometry / silhouette.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    BertR wrote: »
    there are a lot of tri's at - for example - the sides of the car, that don't add any extra (visible) geometry / silhouette.

Exactly this. Just because an engine could handle the polycount/texture resolution you have doesn't mean it's ok with a bunch of redundant polys/pixels. You could drop the polycount and texture sizes a ton and still have a similar-quality asset. Pretty curious as to how your texture is split up atm, and how it'd look with a 2048x2048.

Still looks really nice, whether you care to be as efficient as possible or not. :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It depends. In this case, yes - it's needless geometry.

However there are racing games that don't use a normalmap for the main body of the car (just for tires, headlights, etc.) and they need rather dense meshes to have appropriately smooth shading without specular artifacts.
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys so I have right now some repentance in my mind, because it's true I could cut some of geometry, not much but still I could. I won't change my mistake in this project, but I will use advices for new one. Another thing that Aventhera I can help you with your curiosity, here you go (youtube turntable with 2048x textures):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkR20DecjNg&feature=youtu.be

Ty Snader for writing about racing games I was very curious how it's works, nice to know that right now.

Hmmm to add something from me not only from you to this theme here you go screenshots (sry for so dark seats but you know ao making that so dark):

D2Yoz.jpg
    GUUis.jpg

And ZBrush viewport shot:

sbeWf.jpg