Home Technical Talk

Baking Workflow 3dsmax

poopsterspappy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
Hi,

So here's the problem

I want to do 1 bake and don't want to cram all of my uv's into the 0,1 space, nor do I want one massive texture sheet.

I don't want to explode my mesh as I want a good AO bake :

1) My High Poly = multiple objects all assigned a material ID modifier

2.) My LowPoly = Multiple Objects(all attached) with Corresponding Material Id's on an element level

3 Problem all uv's are in the 0,1 texture space.

4. Possible Solution, Move all uv sets out of 0,1 space except for One Element's uv's do a bake, then move it's uv's from the 0,1 and replace it with the next element's uv's do my next bake, repeat process? :poly122:

I guess I'll have to do multiple Bakes Huh?

Thanks a million

Replies

• Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe make a UV sheet a 2048x1024 instead of a 1024x1024 so you have more space
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you mean lay the uv's out in a rectangle 2048 wdth 1024 ht scale em into a square 1024 then Bake? Sorry bit of a noob. Could I use uv'channels?
    Thanks
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Yep, you would just lay your UVs all in the 0-2 UV space, which is just 2 of the squares. Then like you said you would scale everything over to fit into one square. This just ensures you won't have any distorted UVs when you render out the template.

Then you go about your bake the same way following the same rules that apply for a normal map....no overlapping faces most importantly. Any mirroring faces you just move outside the UV space. Remember that before you bake out your map, you want to manually input the map size to 2048x1024 because you're only given a 1x1 ratio to select initially.

You might be able to use UV channels, but then you have to keep track of what's what for what you export to your game engine. This is the most straightforward way I know how to do. If you need an example I can post one for ya
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to thank you quickly. I'm out the door but I am having some issues with my bake . I will post. Thank you for your help :)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    You're very welcome poopster. I'm learning too so it's definitely a process. Just keep at it.

Yeah dustin, that works too. You'd be using more textures, but the pixel density would be much better if I'm not mistaken. Like the head would take up one whole texture sheet, the body another, and weapons another to have 3 texture sheets but much higher quality then scaling everything down into 1 texture sheet.