Home Unreal Engine

Shadow acne, only in DirectX 11 mode

So yeah. Why is it that my dynamic lights look passable in DX9 mode, but as soon as I switch over to DX11 everything looks like excrement? I'd really like to get this fixed.

DX9:
DX9.jpg
http://s20.postimage.org/7tk28754b/DX9.jpg

DX11:
DX10.jpg
http://s20.postimage.org/z5fb9j9uz/DX10.jpg

Replies

• James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK has quite a few DX11 issues. It's a very buggy system, and has been since DX11 was implemented. Unless you specifically need it, I would stick to DX9. You can still make your game look really awesome, you just won't have fancy features like tessellation and texture displacement.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Are you sure? That's exactly how my DX9 looks with shadows at harsh angles.
  • lpcstr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK has quite a few DX11 issues. It's a very buggy system, and has been since DX11 was implemented. Unless you specifically need it, I would stick to DX9. You can still make your game look really awesome, you just won't have fancy features like tessellation and texture displacement.

So you are basically saying that UDK is a buggy piece of shit and Epic can't even put together a mediocre renderer that works in basic scenarios.
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Are you sure? That's exactly how my DX9 looks with shadows at harsh angles.

Yes I'm sure. The images don't lie.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    I don't think thats a DX11 issue. I've had that kind of problem with DX9 as well. Search through UDK forums, it's been asked a couple of times but i don't remember how to get over it since i don't use dynamic lights so often.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not saying that this specifically is a DX11 issue in UDK, I'm just saying UDK does have quite a few DX11 issues.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    DX11 (IIRC) will force RT shadows for certain assets, there is nothing you can do about it.

And frankly, I don't see this is a failure from Epic's side, since high quality shadows, especially with correct distance bias are expensive, VERY expensive, especially for engines lacking a Proxy-Mesh-Shadow casting option for static models.

And as Jacky said, the shadow acne issue is also very prominent in DX9, I just don't understand why your cube doesn't have acne in DX9 but does in DX11, when it shouldn't be the case.

Also, James is right, DX11 does have alot of issues, but alot of these issues are shortcuts taken by game dev's on their engines, so that they work even on sub-par systems, you cannot honestly expect someone who has barely DX11 generation hardware to be chugging along at 1FPS because the DX11 in the current engine expects the utmost bleeding edge, especially for real-time stuff which has more then simple fancy looks going on.

Basically, what I'm saying is, real-time tech has limitation, learn to play around them.
  • lpcstr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The acne isn't just on the cube. It's all over the model of the head as well, and it's not a limitation, it a complete and utter disability. In DX9 mode, acne only shows up at extreme angles and can be avoided. In DX11 mode, they are everywhere and no amount of moving the lights around will hide it. It is so bad that you could not possibly use this for anything.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    DX11 works fine for me, without any of these issues. So maybe it's something about your Graphics Card?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Joopson wrote: »
    DX11 works fine for me, without any of these issues. So maybe it's something about your Graphics Card?

Yeah, this. I'm not sure what caused lpcstr to have such a negative feeling to DX11, but I haven't had any problems. Even on multiple systems and UDK versions.