Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handed Painted 3D Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
silence44 polycounter lvl 7
Final
The+Ancient+Gate+of+Bunny+King_Zeyan+Zhang-1.jpg

Hi guys, I am creating a hand painted environment piece for the blizzard student art contest during my winter break. starting from a pencil sketch, I have just finished the block-in, please let me know what to fix :)

Original Sketch:

face.jpeg

3Dmax Block-in:

nightmaregate_blockin.jpg

http://zeyanportfolio.blogspot.com/

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Was hoping you'd do something Philip!! :) Awesome sketch and such a badass composition/blockout so far. I think the cave entrance's face should be lowered a bit so you can get the nice "U" swoop that's in your concept, and make the ears bigger/more noticeable. Otherwise really looking forward to your textures. You have such a cool sense of story :]
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Jessica wholeheartedly in everything she said :) The U would be an awesome touch and add a lot of personality. From the sketch (which is most badass, if i do say so myself), i thought this was just going to be another over ambitious scene, but this is such an awesome blockout! I cant wait to see what you make of the scene! Gonna be ssuuuuhhhh-weeeeeeeet if executed properly!
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merry X-Mas everyone!!

To Jessica Dinh, long time no see, hows your holiday ? :) Thanks for the comment, the U shape is a really good call, I've been totally missing it in my block-in :O btw I got a silly question to ask... how do you change your profile picture on this website XD?

To Add3r, Thanks a lot, I was mainly doing 2D stuffs in the past and trying to pick up 3D recently, in order to not fail your expectation, I will try my best~:P

Here is a new block-in image with fixed ear and some broken wall detail on the right hand side

block_in_3.jpg

My roommate suggest me to try this composition below, it does add lots of scale and depth but I am not sure because of 2 reasons:
    1. Missing some foreground interests..
    2 I need to add a lot more details..XD
    What do you guys think?
    block+in2.jpg

• Takkik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Takkik polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work!

The second shot feel better because you have a better view/focus on the path and entrance. The problem of the first shot is you have too much stuff in foreground that distract from the head/entrance.

If you want epicness feeling, keep low angle shot like the first one, but move the camera for a better view on the subject (and keeping a good compisition), if needed change the bridge roundness. But add details only on the subject.
    If you want a Diablo 3 in game feeling (or any game done with infinite engine like Baldur's gate), keep the second shot, but avoid to detail the bridge too much, keep the focusing on the entrance.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I think your first composition is much stronger! :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the first composition with the exception of the chain coming off that statue in the back. It LOOKS like it connects to the middle statue and blocks the path at first until you look closer. If that could be addressed, the first one seems stronger!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Cool block out. Go with an angle similar to the first one. Looks way more interesting. This one will need fog somehow though. Looking forward to this progress.
  • SoulWind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    I like the composition of the first one.

Overall the design is really cool with great atmosphere.

Your block out is really good, and you've definitely got the character of those trees right!

Most of these are suggestions rather than critiques.

Line Tension:

In your latest update you've got a few lines running both perpendicular and uncomfortably close to the edge of the picture causing tension, avoid this when possible.

Up near the top you can probably fix this by making that vine more curved as it goes off screen or just move away from the edge a bit.

Flat Floor:

I'm sure it won't be flat in your finished piece, but as a suggestion you could make the path leading into the mouth of the doorway curve up or down. Down would be like you're sliding into its jaws, as if you're dinner being served up.
    Or you could go the opposite way and raise the floor to make the path feel more like a tongue.

Statues:

My final suggestion is that you might like to bend the statues over the path to make it more ominous as if the tortured souls are looming over you, and creating a more intimate journey into the mountain.

These are just suggestions and might not be what you are going for. Either way, I hope they are helpful in some way!

silence44_handpainted_environment_comp_crit_zpsbae8f468.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed that the first composition is much better. It has the more WoW POV too, whereas the second comp has more Diablo feel.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I like the first much more, adds that tension of like, you are in the midst of facing the looming dangers of the entrance of the dungeon or whatever is in the entrance. Though, you will have to put a lot of artistic emphasis on the foreground objects. It gives an awesome perspective into the valley off to the right, helping with perspective, and gives that creepy crawly, evil feeling with the awesome tree silhouettes.
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To Takkik: Thanks for reminding me of the foreground props which may distract the entrance, I shrink them a little, also I will keep in mind to make them less important whiling working on the texture. speaking of the camera shot, I think I will stay with the original one, I actually choked my coffee when u say the 2nd one looks like Diablo3, because my friend who suggest me that shot has been playing D3 for 12 hrs straight...LOL

To warren Marshall, I have took off the chain which may confuse people, great call!:)

To Demon Princess, Thank you for voting the original one !! :)

To Jeff Parrott, I definitely need lots of mist and clouds for this scene, since I am not planing to bring this to game engine, will have to play with alpha masked layers a lot :D

To SoulWind: Thanks a lot for those critiques, from the image below u can see I have fixed those things:
    1. fixing lane tension..
    2. I made the floor slightly peaking towards the camera, I may add more angle later, need see how it goes with texture 1st.
    3. Making the statues leaning towards road. This is a really genius idea !! It not only adds some mood but also pops out the gate:)
    block_in_4.jpg

To Jessica: Ye I think I will stick with the 1st one.. I have 23 days left for texture, with need your guidance master! XD

To Add3r: You are right, for this piece I think I need to really focus on creating the creepy mood. I did a quick paint over of my original sketch, this may not be the final color I want, but you can kind of see what I think the final mood will look like... what do you think ?

for+printing.jpg
    Thanks everyone !!!! I wish you all have an awesome XMAS eve!! I will be back after the holiday for textures :) And here is a screenshot of the final 3Dmax block-in before I call it a day~

sceenshot_1.jpg

• silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to make some textures after the break.. still pretty rough tho...
    12.27.jpg

I'm looking forward for critiques !!:)
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to get some snow in the scene... more texture detail paint paint paint ~:)

1.3.7.jpg
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    It's starting to look really good. I was a bit surprised with the blue tone of the scene. For a moment I thought you were going to go for somewhere more along the concept with crosshatching, and more roughness to it.

It's looking good, add some warm tones to highlight some pieces and break the monotone color palette you have going on at the moment.

cheers!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This thread makes me cry at my inability. T_T
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I think the tone of the original sketch is more interesting than the one with snow. The snow one makes the subject matter less interesting, because its more about the frigidity of the scene and less about the ominous architecture and structure itself. Warm colors lend to that tension more than blue. Just my thoughts.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    It looks you're losing some of the nice visual flow you have in your sketch and early renders. In the snowy version the contrast of the snow against everything else is overpowering, and the figure and portal are being lost as points of interest.
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To JadeEyePanda and Amile Duan: Thanks a lot! You guys give me a lot more confidence since this is the first time I am trying to transfer a sketch into a 3D scene. It is HARRRRD ...LOL

To David.J , Laughing_Bun and Pixelb: You are right, I like the mood of the original sketch better too :P But it is too Diablo3 looking inside of the World of Warcraft style I want..:( Actually I went through quite a process to make the color choice: In the beginning, I started with the grey yellowish tone but It just doesn't look like WOW at all. Since I am making this for the Blizzard WOW Student Environment Contest, I guess I gonna automatically lose if the style doesn't even fit in.. So I start to adjust color around and try to create something new.. Here is my process:

At 1st I started to research the difference of art style between WOW and D3:
    928901_20070711_screen010.jpg

Above is a screenshot of WOW, Even through the scene is an ancient troll temple which should be creepy and unwelcome, it is still very colorful and has some kind of playfulness.

diablo3_screenshots-429611-1288256860.jpg

Above is a screenshot of D3. It doesn't have much color in it.. the general feeling is dark, scary and moody..My roommate says that my sketch looks like D3 and I guess he is right...

WOW and D3 are both old school cartoon looking, but I think the main difference is the mood: playful vs creepy. To change my scene into WOW style, I figured that I need to add more color and sacrifice the frightening mood:

Version 1: This is what I got after roughing in all the textures, the first thing I got to do was fixing the weird contrast.

12.30.final.jpg

Version 2. After adding more mist and adjusting the lighting, it kind of look like my original sketch but like I said it doesn't look like WOW at all..

1.1_final.jpg

Version 3: After adding some details and color, The whole scene started to be really muddy..:(
    1.2.final.jpg

Version 4: Then I decided to get in some snow! It helped to make better contrast and contour lines.. But what really made me a little happier is that the scene started to look like WOW. Since I have only 12 days left before the Jan 15th deadline, I decided to go with this... But ye, like Pixelb said, The scene lost lots of visual flow it used to have

1.3.final.jpg

Version 5: This is the newest version I got. I replaced those unnecessary tiles in the foreground with some simple snow and added some more detail. Like David J suggested, I added some warm tone in the scene and it helped a lot!!:) I think I need more warm tone detail tho. I am trying to create a new visual flow but it gets very tricky to "design" sth in 3D :( Well, the lesson I got from this is don't start modeling if the concept is not ready yet...
    1.4_final_new.jpg

So This is my thinking process behind this... I don't think I have made the best choices, but with only ten days left, I guess I have to go with this one and try the best I can..:)

My Portfolio:
  • kelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the color is a little weird, and I really liked the first one you started actually, without the snow. WoW has some stuff that isn't extremely colorful, just depending on the mood of the place, and I don't think troll ruins is the best example because they are naturally more colorful anyway.

WoWScrnShot_081510_000245.jpg

karazhan1_02.jpg

wowscrnshot122710224847.jpg
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    Here is a quick paintover I did that will hopefully help you in someway. Obviously painting colors in photoshop is easier than your scene, but by pushing the lighting a little bit and manipulating your textures you can probably achieve something similar.

1. I thought your lighting and colors were a bit over the place, so I added an overall blue atmosphere that gradates towards purple at the bottom. I also changed that pukey green to something a little less warm that fit with the cools a little better.

2. I would use particle coronas to get create the warm accent areas.
    3. Make the trees darker and more silhouette like
    4. create snow mesh for foreground objects, you need more micro detail in the foreground and it will help the transition of objects.
    5. I would make the scene have an overall ambient lighting, with a direct light coming from the inside of the mouth.
    6, I would duplicate the chain and rotate it 35 degrees or whatever so you see both chain links it looks flatter than it should.

anywho i'm done. Hope this is helpful.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    It's looking better now that the ground plane is reading as one shape. I think laughing bun is onto something with the light coming off the torch and eyes, some bright accents would really punch things up.
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To Kelli. Thanks for those reference photos, They are from Cataclysm right? I've never seen those places since I stopped playing after Burning Crusade..:P Yes WOW does have some grey environment now.. I am thinking about go back to the original

To laughing_Bun: Thanks a lot for the paint-over sir! I made a new version based on it, please let me know if it works :)

To Pixelb: Thanks a lot, With all the critiques I got from today and yesterday, I made three new version:)

VERSION 1: This is based on Laughing_Bun's Paintover. I really like adding glow to the demon statue's eyes, also I like the mist in middle ground:) I painted some foreground snow in photoshop. they work too. I didn't put much ambient light coming out of the mouth tho because it fights the focus points...

version+1.jpg

VERSION 2: I kind of unified the color on this one, also play with the lighting to make the face as 1st interest, the guy in middle ground as the 2nd, foreground fire as the 3rd..

version+2.jpg

VERSION3: I take off the snow and make it look like my original sketch, The big face does become more powerful without the snow..

version3.jpg

Original Pencil Sketch:

for+printing.jpg

So guys.. Please help me decide which one should I go for...?? :)

• silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Color wise, I like #3 the best. Tonally, I;m getting vibes of . . . like abandoned sand passes, or dusty, arid mountains.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    silence44 wrote: »
    Thumbnails for a better view..:)
    Three+version.jpg

I really like #1 and #3 the most, #2 just feels like a less interesting version of #1, the green mist really adds some more color that breaks up the scene.

It's a hard call, I think between #1 and #3, #1 is far more interesting, I want to look at that one much more then #3, but at the same time, #3 feels much more fitting. They both have two completely different tones.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, only just came across this thread, but love what you have come up with so far. The original pencil concept has really great composition.
    I think the question you need to ask yourself, is 'snow or no snow'?
    Personally I really like thumbnail #1 (Props to the paintover by Laughing_Bun); I think the colour palette makes sense for a bunch of reasons: 1. It has that real stylised painterly style of WoW 2. Snow does make sense high up in the mountains in a remote place and the cool blues gives that vibe in buckets 3. The bursts of warmth from the flame and stone monsters' eyes create real nice contrast with the blue 4. I'm a sucker for the colour Teal, but having that splash across the pathway creates a good middle ground between the blues and reds to tie everything together.
    If I would change anything about thumbnail #1, it would be to use a slightly less opaque fog, like the one used in #2.
    Just my thoughts anyway. Can't wait to see where this goes and what the end result is like. Keep up the good work!
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really cool! I've skimmed through the thread and didnt see this mentioned: in the concept, the flow of the composition works much better than in the cg replication, and that is primarily due to the balance of lights and darks. The foreground objects are obscured in 2d much more than they are in the 3d. There is alot of ambient light lighting the entire scene and not really pointing the eye to anything specific and making it read flat.

I think #2 is looking the best because it best replicates the balance from the concept. Perhaps taking some focus off of those clunky foreground objects and better painting of light will really make this piece shine.

Also, in the concept, the fence/railing is much smaller than in 3d. The larger models make the bridge/path feel claustrophobic, or at least it looks like 2 more inches of the canvas was cropped from the right?

Looks really cool, nailing that painted style, I look forward to an update!
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Firstly, love your concept, your sketch art is top knotch.

As far as the 3D goes from a broad strokes perspective, I would go with option 3. This one rings the most true to your original concept in my opinion. I think you could do some things to push it further though, the illuminated eyes from options 1 and 2 would look good in this one. I would also suggest having a play with some foreground lighting, maybe some cast light from out of the frame onto the foreground elements or some strategically placed torches or magical light sources might be a way to inject some interesting color as this palette is more muted than the other 2.

Anyways great start! looking forward to seeing the progress :)
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for polling :D I finally decided to go with the first one because it is closer to Blizzard style.

To JadeEyePanda, AndrewHelenek: Thanks for helping. Even through I like the tone of the 3rd one better, but after went through last year's winning art work again:http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/university-relations/contest-previous.html I decided to go for a more colorful tone.

To JamieROIT: I have lightened the frog in my newer updates, that is a great call! :)

To Tottot: Thanks for reminding me about the flow on the original concept, that is actually the thing I struggle with the whole time.. I have added some mist to lighten the statue in the center of the picture, lots of other adjustments are still needed tho..

To Pixelatedkiwi: Sorry I didn't go with the 3rd one because it lack the sense of Blizzard art style:P lightening the foreground and adding some magical light to the props gonna be what I will work on tomorrow, thanks for pointing that out!

So here is my new update, I have added some grass,leaves type of foreground elements, some more detailed trees on the mountain, and also some details on the textures.. One week left,work work work :P
    1.9.final_2_low.jpg

• silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, this is really cool. Your 2d work is badass, and the 3d scene is coming along nicely.

I did a really quick and rough paintover to make some suggestions:

1. Some surfaces should probably have snow collected on top - like the broken statue pieces or the tops of the wall in the foreground. Also lots of rock surfaces and parts of the face/door should probably have snow too.

2. The fore/mid/background is all kind of blending together. You separated these really nicely in the concept, but in the 3d I think you could make the foreground darker and the background a little lighter. Maybe have a strong light coming from the upper right, but the bit of the wall/column/torch nearest the camera is in a shadow? Also some trees seem to be lighter than the background behind them which makes them difficult to read. Unless the bark is supposed to be really light or something, I would either darken them or try to light them so they aren't as illuminated.

3. I think adding some definition and lighting (even just a little bit) to the background rock spires would make them a lot more interesting. If the main light is the sun/bright moon here, I think the rock spires should be lit the same as the other things in the scene. Also throwing some snow on them would be cool.

4. Some of the really distant rock spires are getting lost. You might try lightening the sky to fix this, as well as to give the scene more depth overall.

sRv9E.jpg

I'm excited to see where you take this scene!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Phil, coming along nicely, biggest thing I'm noticing right now is that grass feels very simple and a bit to obviously repeated. what I would do is make a patch of grass or two made up of several rotated cards (make sure it looks full from all angles, or if you're sticking with only this shot make sure it looks full from this angle) and use those patches of grass. It will
    A: make the grass look fuller and
    B: Eliminate the repeated look to an extent
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To BroadWay: Thanks a lot!, That is a really helpful paint over.. I have been working all night fixing those things you pointed, and I think I have improved the scene a lot under you guidance! :D But, due to my poor knowledge about 3D Max lighting, I am having trouble to do those little highlights on the grass leaves and the blue light on the character's back like you suggested. I think I will add them later in photoshop after I got my final image.. :/

To Xelan: Hey how's your break Alex? Thanks for minding me about the grass, I have rotated them around to avioding the sense of repeating. There are three different kinds of them right now but the eye cannot really tell the difference.., do you think I should add more?

1.11_final2.jpg

Three days left! wot wot!

• Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, glad you found it helpful! I think the foreground/background separation is definitely improved, nice work!

I can't see any repeating grass in your latest shot, seems like you've got enough variations. You might try toning down the highlights on the grass a little, right now my eye is drawn immediately to the bottom of the image cause they're so bright.

Looking good man!
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Ooh, it's finally coming together. Great progress.
  • Stephanie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stephanie polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice! I'm glad Tottot pointed the flow of the composition in #2 I also thought it was the best one. :)
    It's coming together nicely good job!
  • silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To Broadway: Ye I have been working on adding foreground snow and stuff.. hopefully I have brought the scene closer to your paint over:)

To Pixelb: Ye this three weeks long project is going to be finished~ I will see how it goes in the Blizzard contest, but the most important thing is I have learnt a lot from this process:P

To Stephanie Thanks Stephanie~ I didn't go with the 2nd one because the color is a little dull.. I want the most colorful one to match the Blizzard style:)

So ONE DAY LEFT... This is the newest version...

1.14_final_low.jpg

• silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, Project finished!! I have just submitted my image to Blizzard, and now its time to stretch my legs~ Thanks everyone for helping me, i have definitely learnt a lot during the last three weeks. After a short break, I will start my next project :D

Final Image:
    The+Ancient+Gate+of+Bunny+King_Zeyan+Zhang-1.jpg

Some Textures:
    Texture+Sample-1.jpg

Poly count: 16420 (without characters)
    polycount-1.JPG

And I made the concept blue...Sketch2.jpg

• Hondamoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good :D I think the foreground fire is fighting the main object a little. Maybe darken the foreground will pop out the big face better.
    Anyway, just some of my thoughts :)