Home Technical Talk

Swiftloop not connecting right.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

I had this problem quite a few times and I am not sure how to fix it.
(The loop does sometimes not go around correctly.)

swiftloopproblem.jpg

Replies

• Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I had this issue the other day, make sure your vertices are all welded. I had a lone vertex hanging out in the middle of an edge and it was messing my swift loop up.
  • WarrenM
    I believe all the polygons have to be quads. The ones where it stops working look to have 5 verts...
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    it has 5 verts but fixing that did not fix the issue (thats why I left it this way).

@Kbrom, yes this is what I thought also but I could not find overlapping vertices. Is there a fast way to check ?
  • SkyWay
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    As far as I know, loops don't work if you don't have continuous quads. That's kinda the point of loops. On both sides of your problem you have polygons, it only works on quads.

From Wikipedia, searching Edge loop (computer graphics) "In a stricter sense an edge loop is defined as set of edges where the loop follows the middle edge in every 'four way junction'. The loop will end when it encounters another type of junction (three or five way for example)."
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Fast way to check overlapping faces is to ctrl+a to select all vertices and then weld them with a threshold on 0,01 and if its a change in the before and after number you got overlapping vertices.
  • Velktri
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    When you converted the pentagons you have into quads, did you use any bridging? It may be a case that your edges are not connected but laying on top of each other. I would check this by smoothing it and seeing if the edge flow does anything unpredictable. If so, delete the face and then cap it instead of bridging.
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys! it turns out there were some hidden vertices that sneaked themselves into the model. Also quads is the way to go idd.

@Velktri, I had that problem before but luckily I am not that sloppy anymore =P

Learning the most from making mistakes! ^^