Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dan's Folio Dump

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
I've been working on my portfolio for a good few months now so I'm looking for some critique - Mephworks.co.uk

Also finished a few projects and illustrations recently that you can see below

chestymain.png

hellboy.png

Cheers for looking guys !

Replies

• MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I waited a fair while to bump this, anyone have any opinions at all ?
  • Armed-Developers
    well I looked through your portfolio, and it all looks good. But there's not enough WOW factor. But if I were to say how good it is, it is really good. I love it. It's just a WOW factor which is missing. But I like the style!!!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Heyo!

Here's some stuff you should check out. Definitely read through the first link, then listen to those crunchcasts while working or if you have some downtime. Lots of golden nuggets of info in there.

http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

https://vimeo.com/55005051
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3s_aoFQ_wI"]Crunch Cast 8 Game Industry Anecdotes & Portfolios - YouTube[/ame]

First thing that jumps out at me is you really need to brand all your images. At the very least this should have your website url on it so if people download your images, they know who the hell made it.

I'mma throw it out there and say your text is too large and it feels like you are yelling at me. Your name is Dan? Dan what? Make this very clear. For your contact email, make an email that is your first.latname so I know who I am emailing back and forth with just from that.

I think you could consolidate your concepts and illustrations into one category, and just have one large thumbnail for them. Same thing goes for the handpainted textures. The less clicking/back and forth navigating I've got to do the better. Same goes for the characters. Throw em all on one page and just let me scroll and view em all real-quick like.

Overall pretty good layout and its got some character to it
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for getting back to me

Armed-Developers - I think your right, I'm thinking of adding some form of hero image (maybe slider) below the header showing the latest update or something as well as actually putting something just amazing on there would help.

Darneebo - good links ive read the first one a few moons back, and i can't believe I forgot to add to url's to my images, I have already corrected this as well as optimizing some of the larger images to speed the pages up.

Good point with the email - I've got a bit to set in my ways with the old one so ive updated that too dantyler3d@gmail.com (already had this for my phone just hadn't used it yet - facepalm)

I'm listening to the vids now - really good source of info thanks for those

The text is meant to be attention grabbing - it can definitely be argued that it's a bit too big, so i will look at revising it - same goes for the layout - currently it works well for mobile devices and tablets as the site is responsive but maybe simplifying into smaller categories would be better. Again its food for thought

Thankyou for your responses once again guys !