Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mindworld Dreamgun

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
S_ource polycounter lvl 9
Hey, recently i made this "dreamgun" for the hl2 mod Mindworld.

It was based of concept art by Kris Thaler from rmory studios. I would apreciate feedback on all aspects and i also think i will work some more on the images for the folio so any tips on that would also be welcomed.

12905-triangles 2048-maps

dreamgun_final_01.jpg?t=1355964779

hp_final.jpg?t=1355964805

dreamgun_final_wire_01.jpg?t=1355966565

dreamgun_final_maps_01.jpg?t=1355964781

Replies

• reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I love the high poly, and it baked out beautifully - I think the textures are otherwise coming out really bland, though.

I don't know if it's the lighting or the less prominent edge wear in the diffuse, or maybe that the gloss map isn't doing much work..i can't quite decide.

I also think that the glowing parts being both self-illuminating and white kind of just makes them look untextured at all...but i'm assuming it's so that the color can be multiplied in later, especially with the glow being baked into the surrounding geo.

you might want to add the color in yourself for presentation purposes, cuz the white light from those elements isn't very visible on an essentially monochrome texture map.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You need to pay more attention to polygon distribution. And next time, don't use some sort of automated reducing script for the sphere - just use a sphere, subdivcube or geosphere.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    reverendK: Thanks, yeah i think it might be a mix of lightening and the spec and gloss did not get it quite the way i wanted, will look over it and try to make it look better.

And about the light the tubes, it was supposed to be outlined with a color first but it was decided to be removed but it was really important that it looked like the tubes where glowing so i needed to add something to the diffuse to so it looks like it glow when its used in a lit area, i did a paintover with colors but i did not get it to look right but i think i will go back and try it on the model.

Snader: I added some extra loops in some areas to keep the smoothing decent because before, even with normalmap you could see some shading errors in some angels, i did maybe go a bit overboard with it.

And for the sphere i did use the base mesh for the hp and collapsed some edges to reduce triangle count, but still have a decent silhouette. Is it bad to do that?

Thanks for your comments!