Home General Discussion

Polycounter Oppinions needed!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys n girls, wanted to get your thoughts on something that’s been bouncing around in my head for quite some time now.

Whilst timelapses are valuable tools in and of themselves, and certainly there is absolutely no shortage of places to get that kind of information from artists & people much more skilled and experienced that I am - What I keep saying to myself are things like " I wonder how he or she arrived at this conclusion, what experience propelled him or her to this point? How does this person manage their time? What approach in learning worked best for them?" and the list goes on and on.

The short version is that in the coming months / years I'd like to express and document my own experiences dealing with some of the more complicated mental issues that pop up like motivation, focus, getting jobs, folios, freelance, visas, work / life balance. Things that aren't really covered in sculpting time lapses or step by step tutorials on how to do something in 3d, but for my mind are just as important as they encompass the reality of life outside of manipulating those pixols.

Where I'd like your opinion is, firstly, if it would be of interest at all for people? And secondly, what’s the best format to deliver it in?

I’m thinking something along the lines of time lapses and recording a voiceover discussing these topics initially from my viewpoint and *hopefully* later on wrangling the viewpoints of other artists in my circle of friends.

Welcome any thoughts you might have :)

Cheers!

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Of course that ANY feedback coming fro a pro like you is very welcome. Do you think in making this stuff paid or for free?

There's something similar here, if you want to use as a base to do your own:

http://www.theartoffreelancing.com/
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Argh I flinch every time someone calls me a pro because I dont see myself this way!

But good point man, thanks for bringing that up, no it wouldnt be something that people need to pay for, it is just my humble opinion after all (and hopefully the oppinions of others eventually) :)
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Well I'd be interested in this for sure.
    Also, a Pro is just some one who gets payed for doing what they are supposedly pro at. You get good ones and bad ones - but you are definitely one of the top ones ^^

It's always awesome hearing how some of the top guys who have similar issues push through those motivation blocks and various other obstacles to put out amazing art.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Argh I flinch every time someone calls me a pro because I dont see myself this way!

Oh sorry, my poor noobie friend. :)
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I think it's a fantastic idea. The best format would probably be some kind of well organized blog.

Noah Bradley's blog post "Stop Whining, Start Working" popped up here a few days ago. His blog is filled with information similar to what you're describing.

http://http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/

Matt Kohr (http://www.ctrlpaint.com) discusses this stuff from time to time as well.

Both are some of the best learning resources I've seen online, but they're concept artists.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    beautiful idea!
    i think this would be realy helpfull to a lot of artists.
    having something to guide you through the dark times is always good. especialy since every good artist around here seems to have some outside motivating factor, that a lot of aspiring artists may not have.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Information like this is always interesting to hear. I've watched your appearence on the Crunch cast some time ago. Something like that would probably be a good format for me. Because it's informative and brought with a portion of humour.
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    This idea sounds pretty awesome to me; I'd definitely be interested in this if you put it together.

As for format, if you're talking about stuff not explicitly workflow-related that doesn't require images to explain, maybe package it either as sound files or as a video of a Powerpoint-style slideshow with you talking over it, that way people can listen to it while working.

Looking forward to this!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Call me cynical, but I wonder what you could say more than "Ya gotta work really hard!" over and over?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    sounds like a great idea, but then again Polycount is not your blog. jk, couldnt help it :D

but seriously, i think that whole idea is too subjective and varies person to person.
    topics like motivation, focus, getting jobs, folios, freelance, visas, work / life balance etc. are all matters of individual experience and varies person to person and i wonder how much if it all it has effect on how other people progress.

in my opinion, technical workflow or timelapse of any technique are more general and universal which makes them more useful.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Great stuff dude, I think it's a great idea sharing your views and experiences in all those topics listed. Not a lot of help in the format but video with VoiceOver or a website or PDF sounds good. It's the information that's important in the end. And maybe We can all contribute a bit too. Maybe some kind of wiki along side similar to polycounts?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I noticed feng zhu talking about these sorta life matters whilst showing his workflow, seemed quite a fun way to mix 2 useful topics into one.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Was gonna say p much what MM said. Alot of it is gonna be pretty specific to that person and kinda abstract to discuss in some cases anyway. But some of those topics could be really cool to hear about (but again can be super specific).

If you ended up sculpting stuff and did Bobby Chiu style voice overs, that'd be rad. Noone's gonna object to that i dont think :P
    Actually yeah just do that, those vids are crazy motivational :)
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I like the idea, hearing about work visa' vs how many years experience you need or how strong your portfolio has to be in order to get a foreign studio to even look at helping you with one would be interesting to hear about. Anything that's not just work, work and more work would be awesome.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    yes

also: is this in response to Shanthosa suggesting you write a book in the unemployment length thread? because i'm a +1 on that.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    very interested, always love your take on different situations and how to handle them, i think this would be an amazing share of knowledge with everyone :)

you should do podcasts, kind of like Games Industry Mentor http://gim.acanaday.com/
    but more often :P
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know how useful talks about getting Visas, motivation, applying for a job, etc, would be in a video-format. Unless you made some documentary that follows you around as you're applying for jobs. But I don't suppose that would be very interesting.

Personally, what I like best are videos of an artist making art. I find that there are two kinds. The kind where the guy records himself working and talking at the same time, and the kind where the artist records himself working, and adds a voice-over later.

They're both good. The latter seems to be the more common, and I guess it makes the most sense, because otherwise talking while working would make each piece take forever to complete. But the problem is that the commentary can be some times nothing more than the artist simply describing what's going on on-screen, much like the Arnold commentary on the Total Recall DVD (check that out if you haven't, it's hilarious).

The former is usually much longer, and probably more boring too, but it seems to be the best place for gems. You're working on something, and as you're doing it you're talking about why (not how) you're doing it. It's like having a direct brain-link to an artist as they're creating something. And the thought process can sometimes give you serious hints.

So yeah... I think I went off-topic here. But those are my thoughts on that.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting.

You should do a voyeur cam. That is the best way I think.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Even though each person finds a different path through the industry and life in general, there's definitely value in sharing your own experiences. This is particularly true of things like acquiring a work visa and travelling over seas which are pretty daunting to someone who's never done them. If you could get in more folks to give their own stories and give a wider breadth of experiences, it'd be even more valuable.

Format-wise, I think keeping it simple is the best - go for text so that it can easily be looked through, referenced back to and such like. There's no reason why you couldn't add a video portion as an addition though if you thought it'd add an extra element.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jon, anyone who makes money doing something is a professional. You're a pro. Now that this is cleared up, lets talk on FB. I have an idea for you.
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    all the topics you mentioned Hazardous, would good to hear about! A blog or something similar would be good enough I would think :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aight, thanks for your oppinions peeps, appreciate it!! :D
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would sure appreciate it.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I'm particularly interested in the work/life balance stuff. Mainly because I have had/am having problems with that.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    DashXero wrote: »
    I'm particularly interested in the work/life balance stuff. Mainly because I have had/am having problems with that.
    truth! me too T__T

I sorta agree with MM that some of the deeper stuff can get very personal and subjective, but that's not so bad as long as it's presented in that way. I've been lucky enough to have several talks with you about this type of stuff and it's always been very illuminating. It would be really cool to hear more haz-thoughts :)