Home Unreal Engine

UDK Beginner Questions - Collision / Landscape

Dashiva
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Dashiva triangle
So I've been seriously working with the UDK for a bit and I have some questions that the normal UDK forums haven't been able to answer.

The first deals with collision. I am rebuilding an old RtCW map which is very simple, just a collection of BSP walls and doorways.

http://i.imgur.com/1Yulg.png is an example. The question is, what is the most effective way to do collision on something such as this? The collision mesh will invariably have more complexity than the actual mesh itself, so I'm wondering if per-poly collision would actually be simpler and perform better. The problem is that I don't know how much more expensive per-poly collision is than using a collision mesh.

Also, is there a way to generate a collision mesh on such an object? What I have been using is the Solidify modifier in Blender, which works correctly but generates a lot of extra geometry that I have to remove by hand.

The second question is, should I use Landscape over the default terrain? I haven't found any decent tutorials for it.

Replies