Home Technical Talk

Transfer 3dsmax uvs to maya uvs.

Hi! I'm having some trouble with this. We have an animated model in maya, but did the uvs in 3dsmax. Vertex count and order are the same. How do I transfer the uvs from my 3dsmax exported fbx and imported into maya to my rigged and skinned model in maya?

I don't know ANYTHING about maya. I've googled and they do it with transfer attributes but I can't find that mesh button in maya 2012!

Also I found this: http://animbiz.blogspot.be/2010/02/transferring-uvs-after-rigging.html

If there would be a way to import that rigged maya model into max (FBX export and import in max is not an option in this case) I would be so happy.

Kind regards, panick time here at the office :S

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Mesh button is in the menu unless your menu mel scripts are fucked haha. Yeah transfer attributes should work. Select the mesh you want to transfer from (max one) and then shift click your maya object. Transfer attributes and click the option box using topology (sometimes you might need to fuck about with these settings but if topology is the same should not matter) and make sure uv sets is checked. O and dont forget to delete history on your meshes.

If you can't find the transfer attributes try running this:
    transferAttributes -transferPositions 0 -transferNormals 0 -transferUVs 1 -sourceUvSet "map1" -targetUvSet "map1" -transferColors 2 -sampleSpace 5 -sourceUvSpace "map1" -targetUvSpace "map1" -searchMethod 3-flipUVs 0 -colorBorders 1 ;

editor_button.gif
    copy and paste in maya script editor and run it (To run it, select all text and hit the play button. Make sure its in a mel tab)
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how my maya looks :( Should I reinstall or can I reset layout? Thanks for the quick reply.

EDIT found it: had to go in polygons mode. Fingers crossed. Seriously this is the first time I opened up maya in my life.

But what is the history you talk about?

ulrbi.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit. Delete by type history. Sorry i keep forgetting maya does that and I tend to use the hotbox too much
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm close.

Import FBX, rotate back if rotations are messed up. Select your uvd mesh and shift click your other mesh. Go to Mesh->transfer attributes (click the box), set it to component. Click on transfer. Delete history and delete the imported fbx.

Everything is still ok when I clicked on transfer but as soon as I get rid of my imported fbx it loses the connection. Can't I collapse it or something? HMMM.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to delete the history on both meshes. Sorry cant show a screenshot and at work but its under the edit menu.